JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I read today's new TTAG article Oregon Gray Wolf Shoot: Defensive Gun Use of the Day that's about a defensive wolf shooting in Oregon. I don't know much about wolves in general and have never seen one in the wild. Has anybody had any run-ins with them? The only canines I see are wild dogs or coyotes. I'm assuming Liam Neeson's "The Grey" is an extreme exaggeration of their behavior. I'm also assuming some of the "friendly" wolf videos I've seen are unusual exaggerations. Does anybody have more realism to inject?

So I read today's new TTAG article Oregon Gray Wolf Shoot: Defensive Gun Use of the Day that's about a defensive wolf shooting in Oregon. I don't know much about wolves in general and have never seen one in the wild. Has anybody had any run-ins with them? The only canines I see are wild dogs or coyotes. I'm assuming Liam Neeson's "The Grey" is an extreme exaggeration of their behavior. I'm also assuming some of the "friendly" wolf videos I've seen are unusual exaggerations. Does anybody have more realism to inject?

Kill'em.

38B0C8CA-EDFC-4995-B594-E9647D21D4CE.jpeg

I disagree:(

The wolf population is not anywhere near impactful yet.

Until they are a problem I think they should be left to grow their numbers.

I've never seen a wild one.

From my experience, from what ive read or heard, that wolves do not just wander around by themselves, they run in packs. If you see one there are generally more out of sight, so there's that. Hope you brought enough ammo.
I'd be more worried about cougars ( the four-legged kind) than anything out in the woods.
I have been surrounded by two young cougars before while deer hunting. A friend and I were back-to-back in this small clearing with our 30-30's raised at the ready turning at the sound of these animals that were stalking us just inside the reprod. One charged directly at my friend and he shot it dead, the other one ran off. I know for a fact that if it was just one of us there at that time either would have been mauled or worst killed by these two young Tom's.
I have never seen a bear and the Wild, I've seen their scat on trails while I was deer hunting but never actually saw or heard one in my immediate area.

YMMV

Last Edited:
Yeah let's wait until there's a whole bunch more of them,...

List of wolf attacks in North America - Wikipedia

On 12/23, an elderly trapper left his camp to "mush down" to the village to pick up his mail. Later in the day, two miles from the settlement, two First Nations men discovered his bones and blood in the snow amidst torn pieces of harness. The two men took their own dog teams and extra ammunition out in pursuit of the same wolves but did not return. The following day, two miles from the village beyond the scene of the first fatal attack, a search party discovered the rifles and bones of the two First Nations men amidst bits of clothing and empty shells. Scattered in a circle about the scene were the carcasses of 16 wolves.

I know how to deescalate conflict with most wildlife in Oregon without having to shooting 'em. If their population is coming back, going into the future I think I should be more aware of their behavior and potential dangers. I'm concerned about things to watch out for. Do they have the same aggression indicators as dogs? If I saw one coming up to my dog, do I need to be on a hair trigger? If one was coming around a kid, though I'd probably not give it the benefit of the doubt, should I automatically assume bad intentions?

The fed introduced grey wolves into the northwest where they never were. We had the smaller less aggressive red wolf here. The wolf population has outgrown projections very quickley and the elk population has suffered greatly here in Idaho. The state hires professional hunters to kill them every year and as soon as the feds introduced them our governor Otter introduced a hunting season. The Capital press newspaper has kept on top of the issue since the beginning. Our sport hunters can't kill enough of them to control populations so we hire professionals. We have had them behind the house here at the ranch, my Akbash have run them off and come back bloody (not my dog's blood) but a pack of them could be a problem. It is a primary reason I purchased my FN SCAR 17s. My 3 Akbash are effective on one or two at a time and they get better with experiance. Few people see wolves here because they have learned to stay away from people and are quite nocturnal........they will be shot......there is plenty of sign when they are in the area and my Sheriff buddy runs across them coming and going to his rural ranch at night. They have forced the elk into areas they never used to occupy or travel through. The State of Idaho would like to kill them all calling them a non indigenous species.

Last Edited:
Turkeys in Oregon. I also read someplace the National Park Service may reintroduce grizzly bear hunting. Too many bears.
The fish and wildlife people like to pick and choose favorites. If they were true to there word, they would be out to eradicate all non indigenous species including Chinese Phesants, Turkeys, various trout species, walleye, wild horses and all sorts of critters.

Last Edited:
They were reintroduced into Yellowstone a few years back and have already become a Major problem as they will attack and kill many other animals. Especially the young. Now we've got a Problem with a very limited solution which never should have started.

I have never seen a beer and the Wild, I've seen their scat

I've seen a great many, and even spilled a bit of scat, but only after all the work is done.

They were reintroduced into Yellowstone a few years back and have already become a Major problem as they will attack and kill many other animals. Especially the young. Now we've got a Problem with a very limited solution which never should have started.

My hunting buddy spent big $$$ on a Yellowstone elk hunt a few years back. Didn't see any elk, but did see a lot of wolves and scat.

I live right on the edge of the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest which is where alot of the wolves have been spotted at. I still have yet to see one. I've been told that they tend to not be as aggressive as shown in movies and TV. They seem skittish like coyotes and only get hostile if they feel cornered. Mind you I'm not a wolf expert, just what has been told to me.

I live right on the edge of the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest which is where alot of the wolves have been spotted at. I still have yet to see one. I've been told that they tend to not be as aggressive as shown in movies and TV. They seem skittish like coyotes and only get hostile if they feel cornered. Mind you I'm not a wolf expert, just what has been told to me.
I do believe they are more of a livestock and wildlife issue........but that is enough to earn a bullet.

The only wolf I have seen live in the wild was sh*ttin and gittin just below a ridge about 400yds away on a hill above Cove. My former bozz has seen them on Mt Emily long before the ODFW was admitting they were there. According to him, they didn't seem aggressive nor skittish, just a staring contest.

That'd be unless your a rancher in the Wallowa's o_O

I'd like to clear that part up and say if a rancher or homesteader have a problem predator then the problem should be handled.

I am not for issuing tags or lawful hunting of wolves just because they might be a problem down the road.

When they do start to show in numbers then I know a whole forum of hunters that would like one more thing to shoot in the off seasons.:rolleyes:

Not too sure just what to think yet...
I like the idea of saving a species of animal ...but I do understand the argument that the wolves that have been introduced are not the same ones that were here historically.
Also I am not a rancher but , I can understand their concerns as well.

What bothers me the most , is that people 100's if not 1000's of miles away are making decisions for other folks and the decision makers do not have to live in the same area with the same concerns like the folks that do live in those areas...

I like the idea of wolves in the wild...but as I said not sure just what to think.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR