JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I remember during Katrina many people had improvised crudely mades signs stating that looters would be shot. Many stood guard outside their homes, and in some neighborhoods neighbors had formed an armed possey.

I'm wondering what happened after order was restored or even during the SHTF situation. Did LE conduct in depth investigations into shootings during SHTF? What about after?

I wonder how many people killed looters and no one knew about it...

Or were they all investigated?

I would like to think that they did the best they could with the resources available. But that is wishful thinking. My guess, most were in it for themselves. I remember thinking before the army that it would be a very proper place, people out to help others and all that. I was very nieve about it and don't intend to make that mistake again. I figure there were some who tried to put together real investigations and actually help the citizens, but I believe that to be the exception not the norm.
But that is my opinion and I have no real knowledge of what went on there. Just what I know about human nature.

I wonder in "certain counties" or cities that don't allow loaded open carry and shtf/wrol begins. If a guy successfuly defends himself and family by taking out a few punks, then in a week or two order is restored what then? Especially if he removed threat while not at his residence. If someone proves he shot someone in self defense, outside his house and has no concealed carry permit is he now a felon?

Here's the thing, the police investigate everything, whether they reach a conclusion or not is based largely on the amount of evidence, the complexity of the evidence, and usually the existence of an admission. If you're standing there with an arc of bodies around you I think the police are smart enough to put 2 and two together and figure out who did the shooting.

Here's the thing, the police investigate everything, whether they reach a conclusion or not is based largely on the amount of evidence, the complexity of the evidence, and usually the existence of an admission. If you're standing there with an arc of bodies around you I think the police are smart enough to put 2 and two together and figure out who did the shooting.

So what you are saying is in Katrina many people who shot looters likely followed the SSS methodology of dealing with it?

Go for what will not go for, oil lamps and oil, engine oils (you pour right into your diesel fuel tank on more older diesels and will burn fine) batteries, batteries, batteries all shapes and sizes you can sort them out later, food? OH YEAH, sealed containers of what ever, juices, vitamins, under wear, socks, shoes. Most looter do go after the important they are used to things going back to normal and in a complete shtf scenario they will normalcy ingrained in and will go for high electronics.

If you can use the high end electronics by all means, but in a total shtf scenario IMO other goods will be more important.

If LE is still organized and able to investigate then I don't think it would qualify as a true SHTF situation.

SHTF could easily be confined to a small area/city for a day or two where LE can't get a handle on things imediately. It isn't hard to imagine an event where looting hoards drastically
outnumber LE. Given today's, "I want it now" govt. dependent culture, An extended power blackout in a medium sized city could lead to a nightmare situation very quickly. A good guy trying to get to a safe place while carrying will be prosecuted for any laws broken if evidence exists I'm sure.

I think it will end up depending on what you end up shooting. if you smoke 3 convicted felons I have a feeling LE will simply call it a clean shoot and that will be that. If you shoot a upstanding family man they might end up looking a little closer a the shooting. As was said before though, it depends on what the situation is. Is it a riot in a large city? is it a natural disaster? or are we talking about a end of the world as we know it situation.

In a true SHTF scenario, people are going to be dropping like flies from starvation. Death by empty stomach will rival death by lead hundreds of times over. The focus will be containment of cholera and other deceases in the cities. Investigation of shooting deaths will be way down on the list.

It will be the great thinning of the herd so to speak. In the first couple/few weeks LE will be nowhere to be seen as formerly friendly neighbors duke it out. I have always thought the reason it is so easy to own ammo and firearms isn't because it is a right, but rather because it is part of a plan. The sheep will be whipped into a paranoid frenzy and will be turning the weapons on each other. No psychotropic drugs, no Twitter, and people in an absolute state of rage and insanity.

When the population is greatly reduced, weakened, starving, and submissive, that is when gov steps in and firearms are all confiscated in exchange for tomato soup and a turkey sandwich. There will be no need for roundups or door-to-doors; people will be lining up for miles to be taken under Femas wing. Let's face it. Americans are so dependent on the system, so helpless without mommy government, that they will be the easiest populace ever to be brought under absolute tyranny and control. A cake walk.

Any terms will be gratefully accepted. Starving people don't bargain.

Other than that, enjoy the buffet.

I think it will end up depending on what you end up shooting. if you smoke 3 convicted felons I have a feeling LE will simply call it a clean shoot and that will be that. If you shoot a upstanding family man they might end up looking a little closer a the shooting. As was said before though, it depends on what the situation is. Is it a riot in a large city? is it a natural disaster? or are we talking about a end of the world as we know it situation.
People might percieve a localized event as an all out SHTF situation if news and communication is out and police are nowhere to be found. People can turn ugly fast wrol.

I don't believe so,

the Koreans defended K-town using unregistered handguns and several rifles that violated the CA AWB in 1992. not one was prosecuted. in Katrina... there are reports that racially motivated vigilantes shot and killed people for being black (although that is based largely on one guy with questionable motivations) although there has never been an investigation.

When Rule of Law is restored, and it will be restored, chances are rather low you'll be prosecuted for protecting yourself.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top