JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No need to get all worked up. Take a deep breath and let it out. Your with people that agree with your position. Now buy her some flowers and a card and let her know that you LOVE her.

Remember the saying, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar". And if that saying does not work for you, "She'll own over half the stuff if you don't watch it!"
Good luck,
Mike

Several times my wife has hugged me and her hands find my Colt New Agent in the small of my back. I get the obvious eye roll and smirk. She always asks "expecting trouble" I always reply, I don't carry for me, I carry it to protect you and the kiddo's. Who could say no to that??

2 blocks from my house today in Aloha as i was getting my daughter some dinner at the thriftway a man was shooting another man in the parking lot.
I dont know why and i was not in danger as it was a personal thing between these 2 guys but i was carrying my 1911,I thought about leaving it home but thought why have it and why have a chl?
tell your wife this is why we carry....

I would have just smiled and went about my business. Maybe next time pack in private so you don't have to deal with such unwanted comments. If it happens again and it gets worse I would sit down like grown adults and talk about it and if needed show some vids of people who became victims and lost loved ones and wished they had a gun.
If she was a conceal carrier and decided to not carry that would have been her decision, but for her to lay the guilt trip on you and make you feel like you are doing something wrong.... that is so not cool. I bet if something had happened and you ended up saving her life with your gun.... she would have a different outlook on things.

If my wife or gf ever said something like that to me, I would give her one warning and it would never happen again. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way or a macho way..... I would simply ask her to keep her unwanted comments to herself and if it was that big of a deal she could go do her thing on her own time.... END OF STORY!

Your problem is much larger. Therapy might help, however extreme care is required. If she feels threatened w/firearms all around your problems are even bigger. Be really careful and try for understanding and trust first. Then figure it out. If she complains and crys foul.. they might all have to disapear rapidly. true story..

My wife tends to be somewhat fearful of guns in general. She isn't really an anti-gunner, but they scare her a bit. I carry everywhere and she knows it. We've had some discussions about it, but never any sarcasm or ill-feelings.

She has asked me more than once why I'm so scared that I feel the need to carry a firearm everywhere I go. My answer to that is to ask her what the alternative might look like if we run into trouble and I'm not carrying. That tends to end the issue.

Women (in general-no angry responses please) tend to view the world around them the way they wish it would be. Peaceful - everybody polite and nice to each other. I think men tend to be a bit more pragmatic about what is happening around them.

My wife has come to accept the fact that I keep guns and always carry when we are out. I don't think she is really happy about that, but she is OK about it. I think the best deal is to talk it through and not fight over the gun issue.

My wife can live with the pistols, but still asks my why I have to have the AR-15 and all that ammo.

I understand your problem, though I don't share it. (My wife carries ALWAYS).

You'll need to convince her that your CCW is like fire insurance. You hope to all the gods that you'll never need it. But that one time, you'll thank all the gods that you had it. You don't get to choose when you'll need it. You'll need it at probably the least likely time you THOUGHT you'd need it.

That's why it's called insurance instead of "guaranteed certainty protection." Also, in all seriousness, you need to find out why your wife opposes CCW. There may be a lot of easily answered stuff there that you needn't fight over.

Next time you two get in the car ask her not to put on her seatbelt. The chances she'll need it are really slim, right? That's a way to convey the reason why you carry. Another way it to tell her that you carry because of her. So that you can insure she is safe from violent harm.

Whoah...looks like doubletap and I share a brain.

Very well spoken and helpful replies! I appreciate your time and input. Seatbelt.....oh yes nice!

When it went down,i took a seat, a breath, and asked how she would feel if i listened and i got hurt/killed. Or worse yet how i would feel if she got hurt/killed. I grew up shooting ,she didnt. I think a class would help her, i take her shooting but she says i make her nervous, just like when shes driving and i give her suggestions from passengers seat lol. We saw that aloah noise on the news, i used to live on blanton for years. Anyway, it wont come up again, somehow she didnt know how strongly i feel about it. I dont carry absolutley everywhere but when im with her and or kids i carry. In my mind im obligated to protect them. Shes CERT trainned, she should know how i feel , but i must communicate a bit better i supose.

Ditch her and find a girl who carries, like my guy did. :p

I'm just kidding. :s0114: But seriously, my guy's ex-wife did the same thing and started suggesting that he put the guns away and such. He flat out told her no. I think if I were in your situation, I'd probably ask her why she suggested you carry less and get to the bottom of it. If you know what's bothering her, you might be able to put her mind at ease and convince her to see things your way. I agree with the seatbelt comment too. :s0155:

A guy on 1911TechTalk recently posted this as his sigline:

When I reach the Pearly Gates, I want the first thing I will
hear to be “Unload and show clear.” I don’t
ever want to hear, “Why weren’t you carrying your
gun?” Or worse “Because you weren’t
carrying, your wife will be along as soon as her killer finishes
up.” Sean D Sorrentino January 11, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I think dustinm has the right idea: "It's for the children." That always works, according to all of our politicians...;)

I'm fortunate. My wife always carries. She carries more spare ammo that I do, more knives, etc. She's been a cop, she's knows there are goblins in the world. One of her goblin encounters left her with a nasty knife scar, but there's one less child-raping monster in the world. All the wives and mothers in the world need to be aware of our duty to protect our families. You can never tell when you'll need it, so NEVER be without it.

My gal has always been pro 2nd amendment and even did a paper on it in HS before we met. She packs a .357 magnum S & W and I just built her a really nice AR15.. not her first either. I am working her over to her new G23 Glock as a backup to the carbine but I will likely never tear her away from her revolvers for daily carry

Joken had the answer you needed, early on in this thread..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top