JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok well im looking to if anyone has had the same experience with the old lady.

Lastnight we were getting ready to go to goerges giant hamburgers and to beaverton for harircuts. I grabbed my ccw like normal and she says, "oh just once can you not bring that". I told her thats not one thing ill enjoy saying i told ya so about. You cant pick when your in a bad situation, wish it was that simple. I got frustrated, and a bit upset. I dont know how to get it through her head. Ehh maybe this is just a vent and to see if im wrong? In my mind why carry at all if your going to pick and choose when to carry.

Never had that problem. My GF has her own but only carries part of the time because "I know you have yours"/

In a way I do pick and choose but not like that. I always have one with me in my bag. But that is usually just when hopping out of the car to say pump fuel, ect. If I am going somewhere and dont plan on mostly sitting in the car it will be on me.

Lack of familiarity breeds contempt.........get her a class with OFA. That being said, I have the opposite situation. "You are carrying, aren't you honey?" is what I get. :) I am a lucky man.

I don't have that problem. My wife encourages my carry. maybe a way to curtail that is to bring up news stories about shootings, robberies carjackings and the like around places that you frequent. then casually bring up what might not have happened if they had had a gun, or look up Youtube videos about robberies, rapes and muggings as well as good CCW stories. and like simpleguy said above, get her to go to a class. Just my two cents.

I guess I'm fortunate - most often my wife will ask me if I'm carrying if we are in an area she is unfamiliar with or she notices some "sketchy" individuals in the area. Other than that the only time my wife ever mentioned it was when she wanted me to go look for the dog and asked if it was really necessary for me to grab the carry piece (we live on 10 acres backing on a large forested area). I asked her if she recalled the missing cat signs one of the neighbors had posted and that the coyotes had gotten another neighbors chickens and she said she hadn't thought about that.... haven't had any questions about it other than confirmation that I have one with me since. :)

Hmm. I'm not sure how I propose you should have responded. I'm lucky enough that my wife also carries. She may even carry when she's with me. It's assumed that I'm always carrying, because I always am.

Nineteen years ago, my wife came out of the range for the first time and said "I like shooting, but I don't think I should be allowed to!".

She's a card-carrying, ivory tower, bona-fide far left liberal. A barking moonbat of the first order. Very proud of it.

Our household runs on mutual respect and tolerance.

Two years ago, after a decade and a half of quiet example and no effort to change her mind, she said "if all gun owners were like you and Pete, (a Washington State Patrolman, and mutual friend, as well as a far-right gun owner) I wouldn't have a problem with guns."

Three months ago, I bought a Ruger .22.

She said "Mine!"

I pointed out that that was at odds with her position as a barking moonbat, and she said "let me clear that up for you. When I wish to be a gun owner, and go to the range, the Ruger is mine. When I wish to be a barking moonbat, far left liberal, the Ruger is yours. You may take it to the range and use it whenever you wish. Any questions?"

The road from where we were to where we are was long and tiring. But there is no education as strong as example. No one can change her mind except her.

You do what you do, and you don't say anything. You don't try to convince her, you don't argue with her. You don't go out of your way to demonstrate that you have a gun, you don't make a point of the fact that you're carrying.

You just do what you do.

You do it right, you do it carefully, you do it correctly. It's a weapon, not a political point.

You do what you do, correctly. Respectfully. You set an example, and you remember that you represent all of us to her.

Day after day. Date after date.

Month after month.

Year after year.

And twenty years on, if you do it right, she might decide that she likes guns.

Nineteen years ago, my wife came out of the range for the first time and said "I like shooting, but I don't think I should be allowed to!".

She's a card-carrying, ivory tower, bona-fide far left liberal. A barking moonbat of the first order. Very proud of it.

Our household runs on mutual respect and tolerance.

Two years ago, after a decade and a half of quiet example and no effort to change her mind, she said "if all gun owners were like you and Pete, (a Washington State Patrolman, and mutual friend, as well as a far-right gun owner) I wouldn't have a problem with guns."

Three months ago, I bought a Ruger .22.

She said "Mine!"

I pointed out that that was at odds with her position as a barking moonbat, and she said "let me clear that up for you. When I wish to be a gun owner, and go to the range, the Ruger is mine. When I wish to be a barking moonbat, far left liberal, the Ruger is yours. You may take it to the range and use it whenever you wish. Any questions?"

The road from where we were to where we are was long and tiring. But there is no education as strong as example. No one can change her mind except her.

You do what you do, and you don't say anything. You don't try to convince her, you don't argue with her. You don't go out of your way to demonstrate that you have a gun, you don't make a point of the fact that you're carrying.

You just do what you do.

You do it right, you do it carefully, you do it correctly. It's a weapon, not a political point.

You do what you do, correctly. Respectfully. You set an example, and you remember that you represent all of us to her.

Day after day. Date after date.

Month after month.

Year after year.

And twenty years on, if you do it right, she might decide that she likes guns.

Great story :)
My wife of 6 years, then my gf hated guns and was afraid of them as well due to some bad gun handling and family members suicide. I carried always with me and even though she found out after a few dates and threw a fit i still carried. I would carry to her house and put a trigger lock on while i was in the house and store it in her drawer of her dresser. After about 6 months of that she decided she wanted to go to the range (with a few talks about guns in between) I taught her about gun safety and how to handle it and ever since she is proud to tell me that because of my safe gun handling she decided to carry and now carries everywhere she goes. I just wish she didnt have to have a pink j frame *sigh*

Matt

You need to find out why she has a problem with it.
You can not possibly respond until you get to the root of the issue.
If it is concealed, who cares? No one knows you have it, right?
You don't sit around fondling it do you?

get her to watch the first 10min of the news everyday.my wife used to be a little like that.i watched the news everyday after work and after all the stories about violence i would say" and my friends ask me why i carry ". she is much more comfortable with it now.

My wife has her chl and carries if we are going over the hill to portland or salem... But most of time I also get this
"You are carrying, aren't you honey?"
And yes I am a lucky man.[/QUOTE]

They say he's gone postal
Life member of
Oregon Hunters Association
National Rifle Association
universalshootingsports
bersachat
northwestfirearms
hipointtalk
facebook

Upcoming Events