JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey gun lovers!

I've been carrying concealed for three years now. I got my license soon after turning 21 (yep youngin' here, seeking your knowlegde). It's become a way of life, like many of you know, the whole being prepared thing is pretty important.

That being said I'm all about carrying. But recently I was on a break catching some pokemon with some other weirdos (yeah yeah, judge me!) Haha! I don't advertise it but I'm secretly proud of it, one of those guilty pleasures things.

Anyway, a fellow poke trainer was open carring. He had a tactical leg holster with what looked like a FDE Glock 17 in it. He looked kinda grungy like he'd "tactically" rolled out of bed and ran to his car to catch a pokemon.

I didn't say anything, but it got me thinking. Why open Carry? Why not conceal carry? I understand some people do it to promote the 2nd Amendment (like Yankee Marshal), but in an active shooter scenario it most likely will put two targets on you. One from the active shooter and one from the police when they arrive. Why put your advantage in a gross thigh holster (ugly holsters are another pet peave of mine) and advertise that you have a gun ,on a hypetgetical billboard, for all to see?

I guess I don't see the point if you live in a state that offer concealed carry licenses.

So tell me what you think!

Why open carry?

Thanks!

Hey gun lovers!

I've been carrying concealed for three years now. I got my license soon after turning 21 (yep youngin' here, seeking your knowlegde). It's become a way of life, like many of you know, the whole being prepared thing is pretty important.

That being said I'm all about carrying. But recently I was on a break catching some pokemon with some other weirdos (yeah yeah, judge me!) Haha! I don't advertise it but I'm secretly proud of it, one of those guilty pleasures things.

Anyway, a fellow poke trainer was open carring. He had a tactical leg holster with what looked like a FDE Glock 17 in it. He looked kinda grungy like he'd "tactically" rolled out of bed and ran to his car to catch a pokemon.

I didn't say anything, but it got me thinking. Why open Carry? Why not conceal carry? I understand some people do it to promote the 2nd Amendment (like Yankee Marshal), but in an active shooter scenario it most likely will put two targets on you. One from the active shooter and one from the police when they arrive. Why put your advantage in a gross thigh holster (ugly holsters are another pet peave of mine) and advertise that you have a gun ,on a hypetgetical billboard, for all to see?

I guess I don't see the point if you live in a state that offer concealed carry licenses.

So tell me what you think!

Why open carry?

Thanks!

I live in the suburbs north of Vancouver and only open carry on my property and out in the forest.

If I was in a rural area I would open carry all the time.

I support the 2nd but keep it concealed to avoid crazy moms calling the police on me.

Only reason I can see to open carry in the city is because your too lazy to get a permit.

Depends on where you go and what you do I suppose...

Just my 2¢

I live in the suburbs north of Vancouver and only open carry on my property and out in the forest.

If I was in a rural area I would open carry all the time.

I support the 2nd but keep it concealed to avoid crazy moms calling the police on me.

Only reason I can see to open carry in the city is because your too lazy to get a permit.

Depends on where you go and what you do I suppose...

Just my 2¢

I absolutely agree. If I'm hunting or in the woods, I'll open carry all day. Because why not?!

But when you're around people in the city, you just don't know how people will react or if you'll be targeted by LE if you draw to protect yourself whatever the reason may be.

I absolutely agree. If I'm hunting or in the woods, I'll open carry all day. Because why not?!

But when you're around people in the city, you just don't know how people will react or if you'll be targeted by LE if you draw to protect yourself whatever the reason may be.

Well, drawing your gun is a whole different subject...

Open carry and LEO is normally fine as long as your not a total grunge and acting shady.

I recently ran into an open carry guy out in public; he was with his family, no problems or concerns. I did approach him and mentioned he was showing as a courtesy; I've had my shirt ride up on accident before. He said he was open carry, not rude in any way but perhaps a little annoyance. Ok then, I bid him have a good day and that was the end of it as far as I was concerned.

I'm not an open carry proponent; one I think it's somewhat provocative unnecessarily and two it squanders a tactical advantage. However, it's not my place to make that judgment for someone else. My only request is be smart about it and don't be overly inflammatory.

I lived in a rural area for a number of years and open carried all the time even though I had my chl. The closest store to me was a 30 min drive and everyone knew me. If I went into town I generally concealed but sometimes I just didnt give a f**k. Im like a honey badger occasionally. It was more along the lines of if I had a concealment garment with me Id grab it and throw it on but if not, meh. Never got screwed with....cept for in Bimart one time.....If I was in town TOWN, like Hillsboro and east, it was covered up....

Pokemon... lol. I used to play Magic so no judging. What makes me laugh is thinking of this.
hqdefault-1.jpg "You did not just play your Shadow Lugia"

I open carry around my property, not in public. Nobody's business but mine if I'm armed, no need to draw attention to myself.

This article kind of sums it up for me personally.
Non-Concealed Carry Gun Stolen in Wal-Mart Bathroom - Because it Wasn't Concealed - AllOutdoor.com

Don't know if it's true or not, but does make some valid points.

I'd feel so dumb if I let that happen to me. Open carrying might give some people a false sense of confidence. Instead of a higher degree of cautiousness.

This is just my opinion, and last I checked, I am entitled to it.

Anyone who open carries in a big city, in public places, where concealed is legal, is just a grandstanding showoff.

Sure it's your right, blah blah blah. But all it does is draw attention. and IMO, it tells any potential bad guys who has a gun. Bad tactics.

Last Edited:
I live in a town of about 3500 people. Most of them if standing in line won't crowd right up on your 6.
If open carry was legal here it probably wouldn't be an issue. Most have a gun in their truck, and a large number carry concealed. But I work in a town of just over 1/2 a million. The lunch line has people on all sides and up close. I can't imagine wanting to open carry in that kind of place.
So its about where I'd feel comfortable.

I'm planning a trip to Southern Ore where My permit is not honored. Luckily Ore allows me to Open carry.
That doesn't mean I'll be walking the streets of Jacksonville with a drop leg holster, But it does let me carry at the truckstops and shady areas around Grants Pass!

It may also help that I look like a 60 year old retired cop No one even asks! DR

Pretty much agree with what has been posted. I too will open carry when I am out on my own property in a rural area. In any town, especially in the Big City, it's all IWB concealed with nothing printing. Just feel safer this way. Other's opinions will vary.

Generally, I'm not a fan of open carry except in very limited situations. I tend to think it puts a big, "shoot me first" target on the person. I can see doing it if you're out in the field with few people around. And I won't say I wouldn't ever do it if I had to run into town for a quick second...but that's more about being lazy than being smart. The only time where I can see there being some benefit to it is in a civil unrest situation like a hurricane or something and the visibility of a firearm MIGHT help keep everyone civil...like in a long line to to get gas or something. But I think situations like that are very limited and on a case by case basis. You could also argue that open carry in that situation still makes you a target and I'm not sure I could argue with you. More like what is the lesser of evils in that situation. If that makes sense.

BUT...as far as open carry as a political statement or doing it because you believe it somehow "furthers the cause" or helps educate people...well I think that's absurd. And dumb. Scaring the sheep and ramming it down their throats (i.e. forcing enlightenment on someone), never furthered any cause. Ask California how the whole open carry movement worked for them. Or the Starbucks crowd. Or the Target crowd. All it does is scare people and make them think you're a nut...a GUNNUT. And there are far better ways to educate someone and change their minds than by carrying an AR into Target. You can do far more to educate someone and help change their mind by taking them shooting than by carrying a rifle into Starbucks.

I open carry around my property (acreage and private), not in public. Nobody's business but mine if I'm armed, no need to draw attention to myself.

Non-Concealed Carry Gun Stolen in Wal-Mart Bathroom - Because it Wasn't Concealed - AllOutdoor.com

I'd feel so dumb if I let that happen to me. Open carrying might give some people a false sense of confidence. Instead of a higher degree of cautiousness.

Some moron over in gresham was open carrying his brand new walther P22 and had some guys walk up and say nice gun... then grab it and took off.

This was only a couple years ago, I'm sure the thread is still floating around in this forum lol.

I open carry around my property (acreage and private), not in public. Nobody's business but mine if I'm armed, no need to draw attention to myself.

Didnt read the article but I can only guess. Wanna know whats funny? Ever since I've carried a firearm in general, I NEVER use a pisser in the restroom. I ALWAYS use the stall. Maybe Im paranoid but at least I have a little security. At least I can somewhat block the door with my piece in hand. (And I dont mean my gun) And if I feel that something sketchy is gonna go down Ive got a little bit of an element of surprise....

For many years I was going between here and AZ. In AZ we could not for the life of us get a CC law passed. So I had a CPL here, in AZ they made a bid deal of the law allowing open. Only problem was in the city even then you got a lot of unwanted attention. Often business would ask you to leave because some would freak out. Even at the Red Cross one day giving blood. I had been called to come in they needed my type. I rode in on my bike. I was laying on the chair with RN ready to stick me when another comes to her and whispers " HE HAS A GUN!" . To which the RN with me whispers back "so what". Other RN made such a scene manager asked me if I could put it in the car. I said I rode my bike. So they asked me to put it in a file cabinet there. I told them I was not comfortable loading and unloading it there in front of the one freaking out so I would leave and come back when I could use my car. That was the last straw with me. I just started illegally carrying concealed. It was a misdemeanor if caught.

Now many of the ones doing it here as a "statement" are IMHO only making things worse.

Just one thought, getting morning coffee at the circular 7, coupla punks wanting to shake this place and "oh sh!!, that guy has a gun". Did open carry prevent a bad situation?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews