JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live in the suburbs north of Vancouver and only open carry on my property and out in the forest.

If I was in a rural area I would open carry all the time.

I support the 2nd but keep it concealed to avoid crazy moms calling the police on me.
Hopefully the cop tells the crazy mom that "that guy has a constitutional right to carry that gun, and btw, if something bad happens, I would hide behind him".
Only reason I can see to open carry in the city is because your too lazy to get a permit.

Depends on where you go and what you do I suppose...

Just my 2¢

I like this comment and would add that if you want to do the Open Carry bit you should become a LEO and do it right.:rolleyes:
Or if not, follow "the laws" and just do it, but be prepared for shenanigans.. ie, people bearing false witness or clocking you upside the head with a brick or somesuch with hardly a "thank you". pretty simple

yeabut crazy mom screamed to dispatch that you pointed described gun at her and yer dead. good talk
what?
How often do you open carry to have this knowledge?

I have had a soccer mom literally hissing into her phone that she wanted LE to respond to my open carry at Wright Park in Tacoma, and judging from her furious replies to dispatch, they told her there was no law being broken and they weren't going to send anyone. So my experience vs your pure speculation- which holds more water?

I was listening to my scanner when I lived in Tacoma and two LEOs were dispatched to a strip mall for a man openly carrying. The first officer arrived, reported it as an open carrier , cancelled the second officer, and drove away without ever getting out of his car or contacting the MWAG.

Sure it's fun to fantasize and speculate, but try to remember the real world. ;)

Hey gun lovers!

I've been carrying concealed for three years now. I got my license soon after turning 21 (yep youngin' here, seeking your knowlegde). It's become a way of life, like many of you know, the whole being prepared thing is pretty important.

That being said I'm all about carrying. But recently I was on a break catching some pokemon with some other weirdos (yeah yeah, judge me!) Haha! I don't advertise it but I'm secretly proud of it, one of those guilty pleasures things.

Anyway, a fellow poke trainer was open carring. He had a tactical leg holster with what looked like a FDE Glock 17 in it. He looked kinda grungy like he'd "tactically" rolled out of bed and ran to his car to catch a pokemon.

I didn't say anything, but it got me thinking. Why open Carry? Why not conceal carry? I understand some people do it to promote the 2nd Amendment (like Yankee Marshal), but in an active shooter scenario it most likely will put two targets on you. One from the active shooter and one from the police when they arrive. Why put your advantage in a gross thigh holster (ugly holsters are another pet peave of mine) and advertise that you have a gun ,on a hypetgetical billboard, for all to see?

I guess I don't see the point if you live in a state that offer concealed carry licenses.

So tell me what you think!

Why open carry?

Thanks!

If you have your face buried in your phone catching Pokémon you are not paying enough att nation to your surroundings to carry openly.

I don't care either way, doesn't bother me if I see someone open carrying, but when you do you are advertising IMO

I agree with many posts. Open carrying in my opinion is just stupid and a form of grandstanding. In my personal experience the people that open carry are usually people who want attention. I am completely the opposite.

I don't want the attention and would rather have the element of surprise if the need arises where I need to protect myself and my loved ones. I never leave home with out it and don't go places where I can't carry it.

I carry a gun concealed if I'm awake. I assess my surroundings constantly. I sure don't want to be the first target painted because the threat can see my gun. No thanks. Helpless sheep here, until I'm not.

Whenever I see someone that's open carrying in a place where it's better to carry concealed...
....I can't help thinking of that kid in high school who always carried his guitar everywhere, desperately trying to look cool.;)

He's probably a POKEMON hunter now... and going fully strapped.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I agree with many posts. Open carrying in my opinion is just stupid and a form of grandstanding. In my personal experience the people that open carry are usually people who want attention. I am completely the opposite.

I don't want the attention and would rather have the element of surprise if the need arises where I need to protect myself and my loved ones. I never leave home with out it and don't go places where I can't carry it.
Is that code for pokedon't? lol

Just one thought, getting morning coffee at the circular 7, coupla punks wanting to shake this place and "oh sh!!, that guy has a gun". Did open carry prevent a bad situation?

If they are willing to do an armed robbery and see one person with a gun they will very likely go after that guy first. When I open carried I did often find myself watching out for others a lot more when I was at some stop'n'rob for just that reason. Now if everyone going in the store was carrying then the store would probably never be robbed.

I used to think it was dumb, but have since modified my position. When I was younger and lived in Atlanta, I carried concealed all the time for obvious reasons but now that I am married, live in a relatively low crime area, don't go out at night
ect... I mostly carry now just because there are people with private police forces that think I shouldn't.
That being said, open carry desensitizes your average person to the idea of gun ownership and that's a good thing. It has taken a lot of work over the last thirty years to take back the idea of gun ownership as a virtuous undertaking in the eyes of average citizens.

Due to the extreme variants in thoughts and comments on this subject , I think that the response or notice of open carry can be good or bad depending on where you carry , how you present yourself and perhaps on just what gun you are carrying.

If you open carry... Just use some common sense about it.
Be safe , secure and discrete with your firearm.
Remember that what you do with a gun will be seen as how all gun owners behave and your actions will be how we all are judged.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads