JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do think open carry sucks for me and the places I go at times.
I fear that it would create a issue and cause problems for all gun owners.

That said ... I often in the off hunting season carry a gun , usually a Muzzleloading rifle while hiking and plinking...all in public land use areas... And rarely have had a negative encounter with other folks.
There have been other times when comments were said to me that were , shall we say bold , unwise and very discourteous...when out and about with a openly displayed / carried firearm.
Andy

I do think open carry sucks for me and the places I go at times.
I fear that it would create a issue and cause problems for all gun owners.

That said ... I often in the off hunting season carry a gun , usually a Muzzleloading rifle while hiking and plinking...all in public land use areas... And rarely have had a negative encounter with other folks.
There have been other times when comments were said to me that were , shall we say bold , unwise and very discourteous...when out and about with a openly displayed / carried firearm.
Andy

Yeah, I can see why it could cause problems for you. :p:D

th2.jpg
th3.jpg
Tactical-Musket.jpg

It all depends on where ...

• If I am in town or hiking in area that I am pretty sure I will run into folks, it is concealed 100% of the time. It is nobody's business if I am armed, and I don't need to call in any additional attention.
  • If I am on my own acreage, sometimes it is concealed, sometimes it is open. The latter being far and away the most common because it is just more handy.
  • My ability to go hunting has been seriously curtailed in recent years due to unbelievable time pressures, but I have in the past and (hopefully) will do more so in the coming years. By the very nature of the activity, firearms are often visible whilst out in the hinterland.
I won't open carry in populated areas, but I've also noticed that where it will fly also varies wildly. When I lived in a tiny town in Eastern Oregon, it wasn't uncommon to see open carry, and no one gave a rip, myself included. I'd wager that in the big cities, or the burbs, the reaction would be markedly more negative.

Opinions vary, so do thoughts on the 2nd. Guess I don't see how hiding our arms is promoting our constitutional right to keep and BARE arms?
Also, has anyone here, throwing out scenarios of what the bad guys are going to do, ever had this happen? Or, just speculation?

I am not interested in hiding the fact that I own guns ... But I am interested in not causing a ruckus that could make all gun owners look bad.
I have had negative comments and "up front in my face aggressiveness" by neighbors who didn't like the fact that I worked on my guns in my shop ...Also have had a couple of bad experiences with anti -hunters while attempting to go hunting.

Where I live is not the most gun friendly place... It may be vastly different elsewhere and one can open carry without a fuss or causing a ruckus.
In my experience when handling or openly displaying / carrying a firearm where I live , can lead to a altercation.
Altercations are bad news for gun owners ... So for me open carry is not a productive option , again for me , where I live.
For other folks it might be a better environment for open carry.
Andy

Opinions vary, so do thoughts on the 2nd. Guess I don't see how hiding our arms is promoting our constitutional right to keep and BARE arms?
Its not. We already have our constitutional right to bare arms. The problem is half America wants to infringe on that right and they got nothing to lose in return. We don't have to do a thing except screw it up.

So, what do we conceal next? Our opinions?
Certainly not our opinions. All I'm saying is use judgement, if open carry works for you then your lucky... but read closely what Andy wrote above as the vast majority of most places and realize that's all it takes for enough people to vote open carry away. The ball will never be in our court because the other side has nothing to lose in exchange.

So, what do we conceal next? Our opinions?

Time and place... just as nobody will appreciate your well reasoned and deeply held opinions on the best pizza restaurants or who really killed JFK, if being shouted out in the middle of the eulogy at your Gramma's funeral. Not sayin' it's right, but it similarly won't be appreciated if one is open carrying in the line waiting for Santa or at the senior prom.

Last Edited:
What's up with NWFF??? I've been STOPPED DEAD by "long running script", every other
character takes minutes to APPEAR after typed, mousing my coursar around doesn't work
either!

I spent 10 minutes trying to type this next sentence and had to resort to cut/paste to get
it done!! That's just the first line; once stopped my reply is canceled and I have to start over.

My, my so many DEAD SET against OC:
A few years ago on SE Stark I OCed, it was past midnight/after work NO ONE WAS AROUND except a traffic cop by the park. A block past the park that D**N cop spot-lights me from the left turn lane
and verbally abuses me for OC, saying I'll cause massive police actions and waste of time by OCing.
I can't express my disappointment in PPD letting one of their "officers" using his office to publicize his
personal opinions! IT WAS MIDNIGHT, IN SUMMER, I WAS JUST IN MY TEE-SHIRT AND SHORTS: NO
WAY TO CC! And everyone knows how safe any street in PDX is at night!!
That cowardly cop did not say his name or give his badge number AND parked too far away to even
get his car's plate number!!
He went back to the park then raced off chasing some poor speeder (I can imagine the scolding that guy
got).
I've been doing this for weeks, never seen a cop or got any complaints, well no one's around so I didn't
even get a dirty look.
Going West, just past Ventura Park, a couple of cars with families were unloading; NO ONE EVEN NOTICED
MY 5" STAINLESS pistol!! They ignored me altogether like most on the street in broad daylight.
I approached a dark building and someone came out of the East side shadow at me; they STOPPED when
I turned towards them and light shown on my pistol; they retreated back to the shadows. Puzzled I kept
going, no crime was committed and I had nothing to cell-in. Approaching the West side of same building
someone (likely different person) came out around that corner, SAME THING HAPPENED: apparently they
saw my pistol and also retreated.
Imagine a mugger, approaching (to ask for a light/drink/money/whatever excuse) and pulls a knife to rob.
IF I HAD BEEN CC I would have had to let them get TOO CLOSE before drawing my gun to shoot, BUT OC
kept them away and I avoided any attack, saved some of my $2 bullets.
At that time you could OC for political experssion, no doubt those tyranical liberals removed even that protection
from the law. I had been OCing for above PE and got only a few encouraging comments, never started a riot over
2 years.
In Vancouver I OC when convienet for me as a form of PE. Never got any negitive comments; one guy talked to a
greeter at Walmart saying he couldn't carry back home; wish he would have asked me I would have told him how.

Sorry, SOMEONE HAS TO TAKE THE OTHERSIDE, there wouldn't be an issue if everyone was againt OC.
LOL

Last Edited:
What's up with NWFF??? I've been STOPPED DEAD by "long running script", every other
character takes minutes to APPEAR after typed, mousing my coursar around doesn't work
either!

I spent 10 minutes trying to type this next sentence and had to resort to cut/paste to get
it done!! That's just the first line; once stopped my reply is canceled and I have to start over.

My, my some many DEAD SET against OC:
A few years ago on SE Stark I OCed, it was past midnight/after work NO ONE WAS AROUND except a traffic cop by the park. A block past the park that D**N cop spot-lights me from the left turn lane
and verbally abuses me for OC, saying I'll cause massive police actions and waste of time by OCing.
I can't express my disappointment in PPD letting one of their "officers" using his office to publicize his
personal opinions! IT WAS MIDNIGHT, IN SUMMER, I WAS JUST IN MY TEE-SHIRT AND SHORTS: NO
WAY TO CC! And everyone knows how safe any street in PDX is at night!!
That cowardly cop did not say his name or give his badge number AND parked too far away to even
get his car's plate number!!
He went back to the park then raced off chasing some poor speeder (I can imagine the scolding that guy
got).
I've been doing this for weeks, never seen a cop or got any complaints, well no one's around so I didn't
even get a dirty look.
Going West, just past Ventura Park, a couple of cars with families were unloading; NO ONE EVEN NOTICED
MY 5" STAINLESS pistol!! They ignored me altogether like most on the street in broad daylight.
I approached a dark building and someone came out of the East side shadow at me; they STOPPED when
I turned towards them and light shown on my pistol; they retreated back to the shadows. Puzzled I kept
going, no crime was committed and I had nothing to cell-in. Approaching the West side of same building
someone (likely different person) came out around that corner, SAME THING HAPPENED: apparently they
saw my pistol and also retreated.
Imagine a mugger, approaching (to ask for a light/drink/money/whatever excuse) and pulls a knife to rob.
IF I HAD BEEN CC I would have had to let them get TOO CLOSE before drawing my gun to shoot, BUT OC
kept them away and I avoided any attack, saved some of my $2 bullets.
At that time you could OC for political experssion, no doubt those tyranical liberals removed even that protection
from the law. I had been OCing for above PE and got only a few encouraging comments, never started a riot over
2 years.
In Vancouver I OC when convienet for me as a form of PE. Never got any negitive comments; one guy talked to a
greeter at Walmart saying he couldn't carry back home; wish he would have asked me I would have told him how.

Sorry, SOMEONE HAS TO TAKE THE OTHERSIDE, there wouldn't be an issue if everyone was againt OC.
LOL

Sounds legit to me. Just be careful to not make yourself look like you're out looking for trouble.

I lived in east portland near david Douglas high school for most of my life and can confirm that it's completely reasonable to legally carry when walking around at night.

Reason's to open carry.
Out in the woods, no one cares.
Because it is the only way you can legal carry where you are.
Because I want everyone to know that I am Rambo.
Forget the political statement that it desensitizes

I open carry tho not as much as I used to. Reason not as much is I can't at work so conceal there. Am too lazy to change rigs after work. I have never had a bad experience open carrying. Have had many positive experiences. Have carried many places for dinner, entertainment and other just daily things. I don't carry in places not wanted such as Buffalo Wild Wings, Costco and such. In fact I don't frequent those places at all unless forced to by my wife.

Most of the reasons given not to open carry are just myths or have never or rarely happened. Shot first in a robbery? Please cite. Targeted for the gun? Maybe once or twice out of many thousands. Tactical advantage? I'll see that with the deterrence factor and raise you by the fact that if you are in a position to need it you are already in trouble and can only react to whatever is going on.

Open carry for attention? Yes, I know some do. Just as the concealed guy that is always telling people quietly that he's carrying. Fiddling with it under his shirt or coat. We all know THAT guy!

I think more guns are stolen from poor concealment as previously noted than a properly holstered open carry.

For the most part, open carriers are just like you and me. Just prefer a different method of carry. I always carry in a retention holster. Dress respectably and situation awareness is necessary whatever method you choose.

Hey gun lovers!

I've been carrying concealed for three years now. I got my license soon after turning 21 (yep youngin' here, seeking your knowlegde). It's become a way of life, like many of you know, the whole being prepared thing is pretty important.

That being said I'm all about carrying. But recently I was on a break catching some pokemon with some other weirdos (yeah yeah, judge me!) Haha! I don't advertise it but I'm secretly proud of it, one of those guilty pleasures things.

Anyway, a fellow poke trainer was open carring. He had a tactical leg holster with what looked like a FDE Glock 17 in it. He looked kinda grungy like he'd "tactically" rolled out of bed and ran to his car to catch a pokemon.

I didn't say anything, but it got me thinking. Why open Carry? Why not conceal carry? I understand some people do it to promote the 2nd Amendment (like Yankee Marshal), but in an active shooter scenario it most likely will put two targets on you. One from the active shooter and one from the police when they arrive. Why put your advantage in a gross thigh holster (ugly holsters are another pet peave of mine) and advertise that you have a gun ,on a hypetgetical billboard, for all to see?

I guess I don't see the point if you live in a state that offer concealed carry licenses.

So tell me what you think!

Why open carry?

Thanks!

You should open carry because it's a right, and a right not exercised is a right lost. Most folks including many concealed carry folks are undera false pretense that it will attract negative attention. The reality is that if Americans were comfortable with open carry because enough citizens carried openly it would not be a stigma. The idea that a criminal will target you is probably in the statistical probability of getting attacked by a great White Shark. Theives are scared of guns and most opportunistic criminals avoid hardened targets, argue against that logic and I promise you will be grasping for straws..

I generally open carry at home lately (in and out). I generally like to not make it super obvious (t-shirt partially covering). I'd bet at least some of my neighbors are not pro-gun but no one has said anything so far and I see it as a small way to desensitize without being obnoxious (but mostly it's just more comfortable). Away from home it's concealed but I don't get paranoid about printing or flashing since OC is legal. I certainly try to avoid being noticed but I'm just getting to a point where I don't care what people think.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top