JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because they don't fit everyones hand. I knew how great they were, so went so far as to try and teach myself to like them. It never worked out for me. Still think they're great guns.

I agree, I could never get a Glock to fit my hand properly.

- the other thing that stopped me - was in older version - unsupported barrel and the issue with using Reloaded ammo.

Otherwise I am sure that they are fine firearms.

They just don't like lead bullets due to the type of rifling if ya want to call it that. Unsupported barrel? If I recall correct the 1911s are unsupported.
One consideration they speak little of if rechambering the same top round of the magazine. Factory rounds can also drive the bullet into the cases causing high pressures and Kerbangs! Same with reloads were tapered expanding plugs and seating die isn't used. No clue on how many Ks of 45 Auto lead
bullets without a thought of bullet set back I fired, but never used the same
round that was cleared after being chambered. Throw them in a can and use
them for later target practice. If in doubt and you want to shoot lead bullets, drop in a Wolf barrel. I would still use the same precausion of not chambering the same round multiple times. I do check those rounds thrown
into the can for practice for length shrinkage, meaning there was some rearward movement of the bullet into the case.:s0155:

I bought a cannaluring (how the heck do you spell that?) tool to roll one on or refresh an existing one on the brass case. Never had any trouble with case failures at the cannalure before they develop a crack at the case mouth, and positively stops any setback. Some GI ammo had it, but not all.

The original 1911 design supports the case from about mid-web forward. All that's needed for standard pressure rounds, and you can always have the frame machined for a ramped, fully supporting barrel if you prefer higher pressure rounds.

First of all the cases headspace on the case mouth. The excesive pressures
come from the bullet set back not the case failure. Not sure if the case cantalure (sp also) makes a lot of difference. On the bullet itself it does, if you crimp the bullets themselves. It doesn't work on crimping bullets if the case headspaces on the case mouth. Crimped bullets are a must for revolvers, tube feed magazine, or anything that can drive the bullet into the case. Headspaces on case mouths a tapper crimp is use that does change the
length of the case. You have two things going on here. Case length and overall length of the loaded cartridge to consider. In the Glock, a round
dropped into the barrel goes about the same depth with just the rim exposed as with my 1911. I am fairly new to the Glocks, but over 50 years with the
1911. I love the accuracy of it (1911) but also grown to carry the Glock over everything. It is low maintenance, humidity doesn't bother it much, and carries a **** of a pay load in most calibers. All the LEOs carry them in this part of the world, in a 40 caliber. The 40s may be a higher pressured cartridge, its something I haven't looked into, and I suspect it is. I also know that more manufacturers are making reloads a warrenty issue to cover their rear ends including AR 15s. By the way, I have seen a Colt 1911A1 go
kerbang from rechambering the same round after clearing the weapon a number of times, and using the same top round a number of times. Well
known manufacturer and the bullet a lighter wt. hollow point. Let me put it this way, I have a set of RCBS 40 S&W dies that I use:D

I didn't want to scroll through and read every page of this thread to see if what I am saying has already been mentioned but here goes

I love glocks. Reliable, excellent trigger, barrel sits low which makes for quick target accusition, great gun. Cheap too

The only bad thing I can say about glock is that I have read various reports on the frames starting to crack over time which makes them somewhat disposable. Ever taken the slide off and twisted the frame? do this with your glock and then do it with say an HK USP. See the difference? The Glock frames have some flex which comes from a cheaper composite/design.

ref to glock frames cracking:
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/problems.html

Rickgo 1, I do! One of the older ones with Oct. 10" barrels. The 45 Colt barrel came at the time when the ATF was attemping to decide if 410 in a
short rifled barrel was legal. The barrel a 45 LC came with a screw in choke
to the use of shot loaded into the LC case. Screwed in for shot, it takes the
spin out of the shot collum and compresses the same into a tight pattern.
When they were given an OK due to not being a smooth bore and legal with
410 Shot shells, I deepened the chamber to accept the 3" 410. No idea
if the factory start up was 2.6 or 3". Mine very tight pattern, not so with the Judge that takes either, depending on the model, Also, with the choke tube removed, in spite of more freebore due extended chamber, the 45 LC
still very accurate. This barrel does not have the ribbed like the newer ones,
and has regular Thompson adj. pistol sights. Also I have oversized grips that I don't see many of, that really tame heavy or hot loads pretty well.

Oohrah,thanks for your input on this subject.The 45 colt barrel that I have is not threaded for a choke .It has 2 steps in the inside of the barrel,and the lans&groves start about 3 in down.Have you ever seen anything like this?

Ok Lets see! Mine is an external scew on choke tube that removes and tightens with a little wrench that looks like the old type roller skate key.
I believe the newer ones when set up for shotshell (.410/45 Colt) have a screw in internal choke tube, and I know at least some of them have a raised
ribbed barrel. If factory it might be marked on the barrel. If the chambered end is smooth for the first 2.6 to 3" inside without rifling, it is indeed chambered for both if done by a smith or the factory. If you drop the smaller of the two into the chamber and it slides in with the rim stopping at the extractor it is chambered for either 45 Colt or 410 Shot shell. Try it again
with the 410 3" shell. If it stops short of the exttractor contact, it may be OK with the shorter of the two shot shell only. If it fits the same as the first shell, you can fire all three.
Without the choke attachment, the shot patterns will be poor. The choke does two functions. It first and most important to a tight pattern, it takes
the spin out of the shot collum. Next, compresses the shot before it leaves the barrel. That spin comes from the rifling in the barrel annd gives a poor
quality pattern. I suspect even though the Judge that now has a version to
handle 3" 410/45 Colt doesn't have very dense patterns and distance would
need to be close up and personal. Think I would consider heavy shot close
up, because I think the 45 Colt would be a better choice in this case.
With the Contender while using the shotgun shell, I usually try to use that
ammo with the plastic cups. I feel it cuts down on the leading that comes
with shot spining along through the bore's rifling. The set up like I have has
a very dense pattern out to at least 50 foot, that pretty well covers a pop
can. Due to the free bore left from chambering to the 410, loads for the
45 Colt can be hotted up some to magnum approaches and still maintain
accuracy.

RallySnob, Wow, what an article. Hope mine doesn't fall into that group.
I'm surprised that if it is as stated, an entire recall iisn't forced on the Company. It certainly is not common knowledge or people would be screaming. I can recall Bolt action shot guns that they simply bought the
bolts. Winchester Mdl. 100 recall for firing pin replacement and recent Ruger recall for their new 380s, along with an added safey upgrade of adding a transfer bar to their single action. You would think the trade along with customers would raise enough **** to get action taken. That being said,
I'll keep on using both of my 40s.:s0114::huh::huh:

Call me a Fan Boy or what-have-you but I'll take a Glock over a Sig/HK/XD/Taurus/Smith autos, etc any day of the week.

The only issues seem to be with some of the .40's. This is a very small percentage in reality. Bad news gets more press than good.

How often do you hear about Pitbulls not attacking? It happens every day, especially in my home!

Everyone has a favorite and if you ask 20 people about Glock, you will get 20 different answers. I recently asked some Army friends of mine if they had a choice to carry ANY handgun in the middle east, what would they carry? Guess what, they ALL said, "Glock!", with no hesitation. I asked them, "over a 1911?", they all said yes. Mostly because Glocks just go. They run clean, they run dirty, they shoot under water(with proper training :D), etc.

Glocks just plain work, especially in 9 and 45. Both are low pressure rounds and both are used by the military, with most of the sidearms being 9mm(not trying to start a 9 vs. .45 debate, go to ARFcom for that crap).

My Glock 19 is my forever gun. It will never be sold or traded, under any circumstances!

Had one of the first Glock 21s to hit the country.
Bought a 23 for carry
Won a 30 at the local Glock (GSSF) match years ago.

The 30 was a real disappointment. In most respects it was unreliable, too big for what it was and not accurate enough.

The 23 was a very nasty pistol to shoot very much with full power ammo. My Witness Elite Match in 10mm has more power and is much more pleasant to shoot and I compete with it and it is absolutely reliable and more accurate than any other pistol I've shot or owned.

With three 10mm Witness pistols in various sizes, two 1911s in 45acp, a SA XD45 and my Taurus PT145pro carry pistol the model 21 just became a safe queen and I had no further use for it so I swapped it off.

All the glocks had sloppy loose fitting chambers and so were "reliable" for feeding any and all ammo. That said, there were many many broken extractors on the 21 and it made four trips back to Georgia to the Glock factory for "updates" as well as being gone over many times a year by Glock armorers at various GSSF matches I attended. I didn't keep the 30 long enough to find out if it had weaknesses or not. The 23 was a carry gun ten years ago and only got shot about fifty rounds a month for practice. It was reliable but was very unpleasant to shoot. Much like a 2 1/2 inch .357 Ruger I had, it didn't kick, it bit. My 44mag 4" custom model 29 was easier shooting with full house loads than that darn 23 so I got rid of it.

All in all the Glocks are OK for most folks like a generic GM or Ford automobile they will get the job done but there is little or no "fun factor" and to me no pride of ownership. I ride a BMW and drive a SAAB turbo so I guess I'm a snob.:s0087:

I received my first Firearms Certification's with Glock, I am an glock Armour. They are one of the easiest handguns to take apart and repair or clean. Nothing pretty but they are reliable.

Not a Fan-boy here. Glocks and 1911's are both great guns, I won't dispute that. I own both, along with several other types/brands of handgun. I choose to carry a Glock because it has proven to be utterly reliable, fits MY hand, hits where I aim, and conceals well. If I thought there was a better handgun for ME to carry, I would. It is what is best for ME.

Carrying a handgun is serious business, and carrying one that FITS you, you shoot well, and plain old WORKS is what we all strive for.

With all that said:

1911's are what you show your friends..........
Glock's are what you show your enemies!

:s0155:

the thing is, I own SEVERAL Glocks..

I have also shot several in competition...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vr3cmPaEI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1JdFp8NT74

I know how to shoot and maintain a glock, but to me they are not anything special. They have jammed on me just as many times as my 1911's have. Fact is, they are sitting in the back of the safe, and my 1911's are what I enjoy shooting.

I like them, they are decent, I just don't understand what all the hootin and hollerin's is all about. I'm not getting any of my "info" from third hand, from m y neighbor that's a cop, or the gun shop commando, I got them first hand. Same time, I have reloaded for them in 9mm and in .40. Have gone through a fair amount, and have not had a single issue or fear of a KB.

They are a good gun, but perfection... not to me.

Good shooting.

I love my Beretta px4 and had a Taurus pt845 which I grew to hate (Mainly because the slide wasn't machined down properly). I also have a Tracker 44mag also Taurus and love it. I felt empty though after trading the pt845 for a shotgun (Beretta A302) so I went to the pawn shop and found a Glock 21. I fought over that or the HK model they had there. I went with the Glock.

Used to feel same way, many of you who are regulars here know of my 1911 fetish.. My bag gun, bed gun, and car gun, all 3 different are Glocks. With a CT lazer on them, the redot hits the target, and so does the bullet. 1911's are my passion, but Glocks just keep on ticking like a timex. 40,45, and 10mm.. keep them coming, and I'll keep shooting.

Set up some nice targets and I will go get the 1911 collection..

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top