JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If Oregon and Washington get assimilated into California, Idaho will be my refuge. I was born in Leavenworth, WA and grew up around Bremerton and Poulsbo. I moved to Oregon in the early 80's (Rainier and St Helens). I love salt water and the mountains and trees. Maybe the mountainous part of the panhandle would work for me. I like the Twin Falls, Idaho Falls and Boise area, but the people are way to far on the left for me. Maybe near Coeur d' Alene? Spent some time around Nampa, testing gas purity for the semiconductor plants. The area and town seemed very nice, but didn't notice the smell mentioned earlier. Not really a prairie person, but could get used to it to put Seattle and Portland in the rear view mirror.
I am a northern Idaho person.....any place there is a collage there are many lefties. Actually Moscow (Latah County) has more per capital than any other county in the state. We have relatives, property and have lived in the Coeur d' Alene/Hayden lake and areas further North. My family has lived in Spokane the last 60 years. Northern Idaho is getting over run like Ada county, plenty of libs there too. Grangeville is wonderful, Elmer Keith loved Salmon, Driggs is incredible. Jack O'Connor lived in Lewiston, many retired refugees (from Places like California) populate Bonner's Ferry and Sand Point. You have to look around and make choices on your needs. The laws and politics are pretty much the same throughout the state (Boise and the treasure valley being the largest exception) I forgot Hailey and Sun Valley, also infesteded with communists. Spokane is a wonderful place to live if your laws weren't being voted on by the coast city people but even they voted (narrowly) for Obama.

Live in SW Nampa, actually out of city limits right on edge of farm land. Moved here from N. California in July of 15 and have never regretted it for a moment. There is still a rougher area of town, but have never seen any problems. The sugar beet processing plant is still going strong, but has toned down the odors with new equipment. Had some surgery a few weeks back and was in today for the two week check up. Happened to pass by the Dr. in the hallway and he commented he liked my NRA wind breaker. I asked if he was a member and he replied "of course" with a smile. I love Idaho, particularly the Nampa Rod and Gun range about three miles south of my home. Most of the Californians I meet and there are a lot of them, moved here to get away from the liberal craziness in that state. I guess the ones that are still liberal thinkers move to Boise or Eagle.

I lived in Meridian 10 years ago. Could drive 20 minutes South and shoot whatever I wanted to. Things have changed there, but I still miss Idaho.

BTW, Idaho Pizza Rules!!

A couple of more points, We have many great immagrents from states like California, Washington and Oregon. It is a little like we have a sieve that filters out most of the nut cases. The other thing I find very relevant is the amount of our region that have a large Mormon influence. (I am not one but have lived with or near them most of my life) Whatever anyone says, Mormons build and design wonderful communities. They off course have good guys and bad guys like every one else......but there communities are world class forward thinking (90% conservative) places to live. You can always tell a Mormon designed town by the width of the streets. It was one of old Brigham's basic design principles that endures today. He had a saying that the street should be wide enough for 4 (? Don't remember the actual number) wagons to transit. They are very wide. The people live by basic tenants of hard work, cleanliness, self reliance and community.

Idaho may be great and all, but the crabbing and shrimping sure sucks. ;-)

Yeah.... but the Crawdads are huge and plentiful. Drop your trap(s) on the way to work, pull 'em up on the way home.... "gumbo" for dinner!:)

(the following is an article from the local Newsrag)
LEWISTON, Idaho -- Just about anywhere you find fresh water you can find crawfish.
If you can't, just ask Wally Biederstedt of Lewiston. He'll gladly tell you where the hot crawfishing spots are and even sell you a trap or two. Before long you'll be boiling a mess of mudbugs and preparing for a Cajun feast.

Good crawdad fishing can be found in most of the rivers and lakes in north central Idaho and southeastern Washington. The Snake River is particularly good but so is the Grand Ronde, parts of the Clearwater, Elk Creek Reservoir, Dworshak Reservoir and on and on.

"Anywhere there is water you've got gobs of them," Biederstedt says.

And very few people fish for the invertebrate shellfish that are a Cajun delicacy. Biederstedt, 76, is on a one-man mission to change that.

"This crawfish thing here in Lewiston has never been exposed like it should be," he says as he pulls a trap out of the Snake River holding about 5 pounds of crawfish. "It's a freshwater lobster we are catching."

Biederstedt baits his traps with fish flesh, throws them out along rocky banks of the river and about 12 to 24 hours later he returns to haul in his catch. On a recent morning, he and his wife, Julie, bagged about 15 pounds of the freshwater lobsters. Less than an hour later, he prepared to turn them into a feast.

Biederstedt poured about a cup of salt into the 5-gallon bucket full of crawdads and let them sit for about 20 minutes. Once purged, he dumps them into a pot of boiling water, chucks in some German sausage, a Cajun spice mix, stirs and waits.

"Oh, I love that smell," he says standing over the pot in his shop. "I could stay in here all day when I cook them. "It's just like shrimp or little lobsters," he says of the claw meat.

The season starts in May and lasts into the early fall. As the water temperatures warm, the fishing gets better. Biederstedt says his best months are August and September. The regulations are different in Idaho and Washington.

Last Edited:
Yeah.... but the Crawdads are huge and plentiful. Drop your trap(s) on the way to work, pull 'em up on the way home.... "gumbo" for dinner!
"This crawfish thing here in Lewiston has never been exposed like it should be," he says as he pulls a trap out of the Snake River holding about 5 pounds of crawfish. "It's a freshwater lobster we are catching."

Challenge accepted. ;-) Somewhere in my garage I have crayfish trap. Will try a local river and report back.

On second though, I'll report back after the 1st Monday in May -- season just closed on Halloween.

..The other thing I find very relevant is the amount of our region that have a large Mormon influence. ... Mormons build and design wonderful communities. . The people live by basic tenants of hard work, cleanliness, self reliance and community.

AND shunning or scamming the non-LDS'ers

Her, IronMonster, tried out your targets yesterday.
View attachment 404047

As if I needed something more to brag about. My local range is a 10 minute drive. Yesterday I was one of only 2 people there.
View attachment 404048
View attachment 404049
View doesn't suck either.
View attachment 404050

Looks like you are getting some pits... You shooting 5.56? They will tear up a target at anything under 200 yards. Its crazy but that little fast projective is far harder on a steel target than a larger caliber round.

This particular spot has 9(?) bays and you can get 3-10 shooters in each. Vary from about 40-100 yards. I avoid the weekends -- especially holidays.

That was a mix of .223 and 30-30 at around 75-80 yards. I was trying out a 336W and dialing a rear flip-up on an AR build. Targets fared better than the stand.
View attachment 404051

This particular spot has 9(?) bays and you can get 3-10 shooters in each. Vary from about 40-100 yards. I avoid the weekends -- especially holidays.

That was a mix of .223 and 30-30 at around 75-80 yards. I was trying out a 336W and dialing a rear flip-up on an AR build. Targets fared better than the stand.
View attachment 404051

AR500 will take a lot of abuse, and if you are selective with what you send at it it can last forever.

.....it was Jack Simplot that introduced the notion of "usable ends" to the tater tot industry...
I knew Jack....as did my dad and cousin. I loved the guy for many reasons. One time one of his neighbors in (communist) Boise complained about his flag making too much noise popping in the wind. Jack told him to go fornicate himself and bought a new flag 5X bigger. It still flies (last time I was by there) on the hilltop site where his house stood. The Simplot foundation donated the house to the State thinking it would make a good Governor's mansion but (his ex son in Law) Butch refused to move from his Eagle ranch. The state got tired of the maintenance costs for the house and demoed it a few years ago. Jack was one of a kind and I miss him here on the Idaho landscape.

The state got tired of the maintenance costs for the house and demoed it a few years ago

As a restless teen I rode dirt bikes on that very hill they (stupidly IMHO) built that monument to poor decisions/bad design/trainload of megabux to disguise the original error of judgement.....which is not to say I didn't thrill over the symbolic (yet temporary) victory the project demonstrated.

Circa 1964 I was startled to learn of the new 'center pivot' irrigation making formerly desert wasteland suitable for raising spuds (for lucrative and then barely nascent McD's) for amazing product/marketing adventures.

A little turbo-prop journey (in itself a New Development) to visit family & see the Space Needle over the SE corner of Oregon provided the vantage point when landing at the portion of the former stage coach route with the "Pendelton Airport" sign. It was quite thrilling. I still recall the surprise at the steepness of the banking into the final approach to align with the tracks in the sagebrush just outside the paved part of the field.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top