JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is a very interesting article. If I ever needed to move, (I won't) it would be to Wyoming. There are great people, Land and many unspoiled freedoms there. To me, the most interesting take away is the high cost of living. It must be from the past union influence. Large mining operations pay very well and effect the economic enviorment raising cost of living. If the mine jobs go away (like the article speculates) people are resistant to selling there once 150,000 house for 75,000. It takes time for the inflated values to normalize. Northern Nevada is a good example of that right now. Places like Winnemucca and Elko are very expensive to live in just because of the gold rush going on and union paychecks. Another example are the newly developed Dakota oil fields. I know young men that were working there making huge money and having to pay 3500.00 a month it live in a small motel room. Eventually, everything finds its natural leval (cost) when large outside forces subside.

That is a very interesting article. If I ever needed to move, (I won't) it would be to Wyoming. There are great people, Land and many unspoiled freedoms there. To me, the most interesting take away is the high cost of living. It must be from the past union influence. Large mining operations pay very well and effect the economic enviorment raising cost of living. If the mine jobs go away (like the article speculates) people are resistant to selling there once 150,000 house for 75,000. It takes time for the inflated values to normalize. Northern Nevada is a good example of that right now. Places like Winnemucca and Elko are very expensive to live in just because of the gold rush going on and union paychecks. Another example are the newly developed Dakota oil fields. I know young men that were working there making huge money and having to pay 3500.00 a month it live in a small motel room. Eventually, everything finds its natural leval (cost) when large outside forces subside.

You are SPOT ON guy,
The root of all evil, and pipe dreams, always follow the word...MONEY !

I have a friend that just left Elko...
He was making great money, but had none to spend. He said that everything was over the edge in price, and going out to dinner was like staying in Trump Tower in New York... Not for a family man. He said that he could move, make less mony, but have more to spend... I guess you know what advise I gave him...DUH! He also said it was the worst decision he ever made!
Larry243

I knew Jack....as did my dad and cousin. I loved the guy for many reasons. One time one of his neighbors in (communist) Boise complained about his flag making too much noise popping in the wind. Jack told him to go fornicate himself and bought a new flag 5X bigger. It still flies (last time I was by there) on the hilltop site where his house stood. The Simplot foundation donated the house to the State thinking it would make a good Governor's mansion but (his ex son in Law) Butch refused to move from his Eagle ranch. The state got tired of the maintenance costs for the house and demoed it a few years ago. Jack was one of a kind and I miss him here on the Idaho landscape.

I just caught this, what a shame they demo'd that house. I drove past it many times, it must have had a great view from that hill top.

I drove past it many times, it must have had a great view from that hill top.

I rode up that knob plenty of times on my dirt bike circa 1964. It was especially annoying to learn 'some rich guy' was building a house there. A mile or so farther out that gravel road was "the Oil Well" a stepped steep sand hill that was so well packed from bike climbs it offered just the bare minimum of enough solid traction and enough of a run I was able to take my VW Bug up it to the first flat spot. Enjoyed such in those days. Last time I went thru there all I could do was attempt to unfreeze my blood & get my testicles back down where they belonged, as I though 'WHAT was I thinking' in those times!!!

Massive housing has blossomed all along out past the old biker race track & onto the next drainage over that borders the hiway to Horseshoe Bend. Ah, nostalgia....:rolleyes:o_O:cool:

I hear all the time here that people are moving to Idaho to get away from all the "Californication" infesting its way into Oregon and Washington. If you do, that's awesome but enjoy it while you can because its only a matter of time. The best strategy to stop an infestation is to stop its spread by voting out the queen bee so to speak. When there's nothing free left but Idaho, it will be too late for Idaho.....
And its already happening.

Analysis | Why people really want to move to Idaho but are fleeing its neighbor, Wyoming

(note: the article is behind a paywall but will give you 3 free views. If you cant open it, clear your history and cookies)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top