JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah that used to be a Tom McCall theme here in Oregon as well. Any place is better with less people, well except maybe the Arctic or other really rough climates. At some time in the future Idaho will have an increase in population because of all the things that currently make it attractive and people will come and it will also change. The most affluent people are the ones most likely to re-locate. And very generally speaking, they are the ones most dis-similar to current Idaho residents. California is coming. For instance, the Safeway/Albertsons merger brought a pile of Californians to the Boise area.
Boise wants to be a big city. There's some money and a college so naturally it leans left-er than the rest of the state. However, the rest of the state seems to have a watchful eye on Boise.

Yeah that used to be a Tom McCall theme here in Oregon as well. Any place is better with less people, well except maybe the Arctic or other really rough climates. At some time in the future Idaho will have an increase in population because of all the things that currently make it attractive and people will come and it will also change. The most affluent people are the ones most likely to re-locate. And very generally speaking, they are the ones most dis-similar to current Idaho residents. California is coming. For instance, the Safeway/Albertsons merger brought a pile of Californians to the Boise area.
We enjoy a uneque reputation that (with any luck) minimizes the left wing California migration that Washington and Oregon don't have. My step daughter's best friend is a nice 1/2 Japanese girl (woman). After my daughter moved up here they were having a conversation and learned her mother was the last baby born in one of the California interment camps. My daughter said something about them coming to visit, The mother immediately said that "they don't like oriental people in Idaho" A statement (and fact) I find ludicrous on its face. We have a high percentage of Japanese people here (many that are remnants of Idaho internment camps, another Democratic institution) that are welcome and valuable movers and shakers in our society. I was raised with the sons and daughters of Japanese escaping internment in Spokane (it was more than 300 miles from the coast) and after traveling the world am amazed at the seamless way they dissolve into and become intrinsic to the fabric of our society and culture but the perception is a different story. It might be that undefinable sieve that I mentioned in an earlier post. The people that come here from places like California (except for educators) largely appreciate our conservative leanings, supporting and becoming involved with them. The largest fly in our ointment are the people around the university towns of Boise and Moscow. They are to be guarded against but to date have yet to overcome the rest of the state. It reminds me of people I know from various Communist countries in the world. They are absolutely the largest supporters of basic right minded libertarian ideals of anyone I have ever met. They have experienced the dark side and want nothing to do with it.

Ruger Rich - I came across I-84 when the connecting interstate I-80 wasn't finished, wile crossing America from NYC to Oregon, back in day I was setting up my new camp.
You said at some time Idaho will have an increase in population and so on.
I just wanted to let you know, I must have been about your age when I passed a sign or exit on I-84 that pointed to Boise, Idaho. In those days that was the only exit to Boise and you could not see a building or a light of any kind from the road in that or any direction due to the cut of the hwy. Last time I went through there it was in the mid or later part of the 1980s and I thought I was on another planet. It had changed so much over the years it had been since I had last driven that section of Hwy.

I counted about five exits and there was no end to the traffic, buildings and lighting I was driving through. Not the best of memories either. You see a friend was being put in the ground in the town of Cascade that weekend after his best friend shot him through the heart with an ought six a few nights before. James Bonsteel [Spelling?] shot him for no good reason but you see he was drunk, so he only got six years.

I fixed the washer at eleven PM and poor Ed was killed by 1:00 AM. That town is like a dream land, the town of Cascade, Idaho I mean. And his folks, friends and family were some of the kindest people I have ever been in contact with on this earth. Idaho is a beautiful state, I have traveled it for many years and many different ways since the loss of my friend and I must say one of my worst days opened my eyes to the beauty in my surroundings wile traveling in Idaho. Idaho Ranks very high with me, easy to travel with lots to see and do/

I'm at the Bonner County Admin bldg doing some SAR training this weekend. I cant help but admire the floor plan lol.

20171203_124011.jpg

Maybe an XD?

as an expat lifer Brother of the Spud, I grew up in Boise in the early 50s-late 60s. My dad was cat skinner dozing them trails into what became I-80/nee I-84. His hand was on the throttle of his D8 for most of the heavy construction projects around SW Idaho/Oregon for most of 50 years. We lived in many labor camps before there was much of even a rather primitive State Highway system. Could bore all with geezer stories but you are spared today.

I lived in Cascade and many out of the way places. Hagerman, Grandview, Ririe, Marsing among others.

One LEO story to amuse: In the late 60s I was interviewing the Owyhee Country Sheriff (forget his name now, a man long serving and well liked) about the recent upgrade for college requirements for his deputies. For those unfamiliar with the area, Owyhee County is the extreme SW corner, Oregon to the west and Nevada to the South, of the county line.
Its area was the second largest IIRC of any county south of Alaska, and the lowest population density at the time. The sheriff had meager budget and had been roasted by one of the upcoming lady politicians in Boise, for his 'old fashioned ideas' on how to do his job.

When asked about any observations on the recent (24 months back) hiring policies, as in "How long does it take to train a new deputy".....his response was a classic: "I can expect a non-college degree deputy to be pretty well competent to do his job within 6 months.....the college-degree folks seem to catch on pretty well after 18 months"....:eek:

as an expat lifer Brother of the Spud, I grew up in Boise in the early 50s-late 60s. My dad was cat skinner dozing them trails into what became I-80/nee I-84. His hand was on the throttle of his D8 for most of the heavy construction projects around SW Idaho/Oregon for most of 50 years. We lived in many labor camps before there was much of even a rather primitive State Highway system. Could bore all with geezer stories but you are spared today.

I lived in Cascade and many out of the way places. Hagerman, Grandview, Ririe, Marsing among others.

One LEO story to amuse: In the late 60s I was interviewing the Owyhee Country Sheriff (forget his name now, a man long serving and well liked) about the recent upgrade for college requirements for his deputies. For those unfamiliar with the area, Owyhee County is the extreme SW corner, Oregon to the west and Nevada to the South, of the county line.
Its area was the second largest IIRC of any county south of Alaska, and the lowest population density at the time. The sheriff had meager budget and had been roasted by one of the upcoming lady politicians in Boise, for his 'old fashioned ideas' on how to do his job.

When asked about any observations on the recent (24 months back) hiring policies, as in "How long does it take to train a new deputy".....his response was a classic: "I can expect a non-college degree deputy to be pretty well competent to do his job within 6 months.....the college-degree folks seem to catch on pretty well after 18 months"....:eek:
Great story, while not Idaho, I was coming through Jordan Valley a couple of years ago with my 1920 Packard truck on the trailer. It was when the speed limit was still 55, I was going close to 65 like everyone did in those years. So, I get lit up......was pretty curious why. The deputy came up and said "well, you were going a little fast, but I really wanted to see your truck" pretty typical of rural law enforcement here.......unless you are doing something really stupid.........The deputy and I talked about old cars on the side of the road for 45 min. Then he told me "be careful, the Idaho State Patrol is looking at tail light violations right now just down the road, they drive me (the Deputy) nuts when moving my cows to pasture on the Idaho side"

My daughters both live in the Idaho Falls area.I just got back from a visit yesterday,and I cannot wait to go back-hopefully permanently.
Beautiful country,slower pace,better people,you name it.
My Grandfather was raised in the Oakley area (South of Burley) and we used to go back there and visit often.
My Great Great Great Grandfather was a school teacher in the 1870's in a little town called Basin (Also south of Burley,at the foot of the Albion Mountains) He is buried in the pioneer cemetery there.
I fell in love with Southern Idaho at a very early age,and have always wanted to live there.
Someday..

Not familiar with that one. This is Nourse, south of Lake Lowell just west of the dump.
I have been by there too...........driving south on 95 just before the truck scale there is a range on the left side of the highway. I have enough land for a 1000 yard range here at the ranch so don't get to many ranges. There is a good one near the dump in Payette too.

Here's why; Went into my local post office this morning and was met with a friendly greeting and a smile. I told the nice lady I'd like to mail something in a flat rate box and layed the item on the counter. "No problem, sir. And where would you like to send your bolt today?"
That's right, not only did she know it was a part from a firearm, she called it by name.
I love it here more every day.

You got it!
It's also because us country Mice don't like those city Rats.
Nice Thread!....Larry243

I too enjoy my visits to Idaho and have friends there in Grangeville and Orofino. Last June I spent 10 days bombing around the state in my camper and stopped into McCall. I hadn't been there in over 25 years.. and hell, I could not believe the amount of steel and glass that little town (city?) now has. Wow.. what growth! Used to be a sleepy little mill town and forest Service HQ. Full of boutiques and fancy homes now.
My Idaho friends tell me that Californians are buying up "retirement" properties like no tomorrow. Driving prices up. Any 10 or 15 acre parcel, improved or not, is not on the market long. I met several folks from the golden state in campgrounds that were out shopping for their new life. All professed an unencumbered political belief, but they appeared to me as the same folks that flooded Oregon in the 70's and 80's... looking for a less rigid system, only to contribute to it's liberal demise. I see that for Idaho.:(

I too enjoy my visits to Idaho and have friends there in Grangeville and Orofino. Last June I spent 10 days bombing around the state in my camper and stopped into McCall. I hadn't been there in over 25 years.. and hell, I could not believe the amount of steel and glass that little town (city?) now has. Wow.. what growth! Used to be a sleepy little mill town and forest Service HQ. Full of boutiques and fancy homes now.
My Idaho friends tell me that Californians are buying up "retirement" properties like no tomorrow. Driving prices up. Any 10 or 15 acre parcel, improved or not, is not on the market long. I met several folks from the golden state in campgrounds that were out shopping for their new life. All professed an unencumbered political belief, but they appeared to me as the same folks that flooded Oregon in the 70's and 80's... looking for a less rigid system, only to contribute to it's liberal demise. I see that for Idaho.:(

Well,
Liberals don't last long in Idaho. We believe in God, Guns, and Guts. We also believe that grass is something you feed to cows and horses....
Larry243

McCall tried to pass a law last year making the minimum wage 15.00, the Gov (Otter) and legislature quickly passed and signed a bill making it illegal for cities to establish there own minimum wage. Sort of like when the Fed introduced Grey Wolves, the Gov set up a hunting season for them..............

I did, but I sold it a couple of years ago. Some guy drove all the way from Florida to buy it.
That was one great boat!

View attachment 403706

Sounds like great little boat. Very fuel efficient but the speed would bother me. I have had boats in currents that exceed the top speed of these boats. I know you can't have your cake and eat it but there are some very fast running waters in the PNW and when you add winds on top of it makes for some hairy situations. The New Carissa got caught in one of those situations.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top