JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@ the OP......

Because it just is.

^^^ This!!!

BTW, when I moved from San Diego to La Grande in 1980, I moved here because of the many natural attributes and the culture; one of those that did not want to change anything here. Gradually the college seems to be taking over and since timber is no longer king, along with the proggies from Bend, the area does seem to be changing to a more prog outlook. Fortunately it is not more than 50/50 so far, maybe less. I hope less. (see what I did there?)

Last Edited:
I knew Jack....as did my dad and cousin. I loved the guy for many reasons. One time one of his neighbors in (communist) Boise complained about his flag making too much noise popping in the wind. Jack told him to go fornicate himself and bought a new flag 5X bigger. It still flies (last time I was by there) on the hilltop site where his house stood. The Simplot foundation donated the house to the State thinking it would make a good Governor's mansion but (his ex son in Law) Butch refused to move from his Eagle ranch. The state got tired of the maintenance costs for the house and demoed it a few years ago. Jack was one of a kind and I miss him here on the Idaho landscape.

He, and Joe Albertson.

I still recall the surprise at the steepness of the banking into the final approach to align with the tracks in the sagebrush just outside the paved part of the field.

My flight instructor was a friend from high school in Idaho Falls and worked for years as a bush pilot in AK. It was a rare occasion that we returned to the FBO without weeds in the landing gear. Good times.

I've heard considerable number of stories over the years that he was an 'either/or' kind of guy.....if you knew him you fell into one camp, 'love/hate'.....was that your impression?
He deffinatly had his own mind. Was a true Idahoan that didn't suffer fools well. He backed up his opinions with deeds. The first time I was close to him was when my unit was deployed on a search and rescue mission for an aquaintence of his. He loved the GI's and brought us great food and supported us anyway he could. There were rumors of a no charge open bar after the mission was done. My cousin used to host he and his friends pheasant hunting on the ranch he managed. Jack would call him up directly (totally impressed my cousin's nephews) to arrange a date, he never forgot my cousin's name and was always very personable. A case of steaks would frequently mysteriously show up at the ranch shortly after he was there. My dad flew with him in the late 40's out of the Pocatello airport. They both had the same flight instructor. Dad told the story about them flying (a Taylorcraft?) near Arco. They ran low on fuel, so landed on the access road to the Idaho National Labratory, Taxied up to the gate and asked if they could get some fuel. That being said, He was a true western cowboy, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him. He loved it when people either didn't know who he was or underestimated him........(usually dressed in work clothes) that was a serious error that Jack took great glee in.

I'm looking at buying the 20 acres just above me and moving my mobile on the corner when my new house is built just to keep the buffer space. Wouldn't mind some rental income.

A couple of more points, We have many great immagrents from states like California, Washington and Oregon. It is a little like we have a sieve that filters out most of the nut cases. The other thing I find very relevant is the amount of our region that have a large Mormon influence. (I am not one but have lived with or near them most of my life) Whatever anyone says, Mormons build and design wonderful communities. They off course have good guys and bad guys like every one else......but there communities are world class forward thinking (90% conservative) places to live. You can always tell a Mormon designed town by the width of the streets. It was one of old Brigham's basic design principles that endures today. He had a saying that the street should be wide enough for 4 (? Don't remember the actual number) wagons to transit. They are very wide. The people live by basic tenants of hard work, cleanliness, self reliance and community.
Lot of Basques in Idaho as well, speaking of self reliance.

I love the Basque people (and food) in general with the exception of the communist Boise Mayor (Bieter) and his collage professor brother. I got to know many of them working in the back country of the Wasatch front. We would sometimes land the helicopter to check on them in there rural sheep camps. Had dinner last week on the Basque block (as we often do) in Boise. I have also visited the Basque region in France and Spain. Wonderful people and culture.

Here's why; Went into my local post office this morning and was met with a friendly greeting and a smile. I told the nice lady I'd like to mail something in a flat rate box and layed the item on the counter. "No problem, sir. And where would you like to send your bolt today?"
That's right, not only did she know it was a part from a firearm, she called it by name.
I love it here more every day.

Because Washington has a thing about ticketing and hassling anyone on a motorcycle for no reason and it is so easy to avoid that shet hole state and find the beauty and freedom of Idaho a state without helmet laws leading to freedom of choice. Endless lakes, Rivers, Mountains, Deserts, scenery that is ever changing on good roads and fair police and wonderful residents.

I will never again get a ticket for no reason in Washington State although it has been over ten years ago there policy's have not changed regarding bikers.

Mountain Home Idaho, State police pulled me over for speeding speeding on route 20 and I was guilty. The Officer was professional and even [using these words carefully, after the first few minutes] kind in handling me, as I was clean but yet unshaven for several weeks on the road and he did turn around and pursue me for hitting his trap at over 90+ MPH and had good reason to be a bit nervous wile alone upon his approach. I love the State Of Idaho from rout 2 North down to the bottom of the state through interstate 84.

Cant wait to see so many of the places Ive been once again and hope to find something I haven't wile I'm looking, Next Summer once again. Paradise on a motorcycle, so much to explore and find in such a small state.

Owyhee county. All the locals couldn't be nicer. I'm just across the river from wine country and a 15 minute drive to anything I could possibly need on Nampa/Caldwell. BTW, Idaho is full. We'll gladly sell you gas and beef jerky but just keep driving.
Yeah that used to be a Tom McCall theme here in Oregon as well. Any place is better with less people, well except maybe the Arctic or other really rough climates. At some time in the future Idaho will have an increase in population because of all the things that currently make it attractive and people will come and it will also change. The most affluent people are the ones most likely to re-locate. And very generally speaking, they are the ones most dis-similar to current Idaho residents. California is coming. For instance, the Safeway/Albertsons merger brought a pile of Californians to the Boise area.

Had dinner last week on the Basque block (as we often do) in Boise.
I've got some of my own stories from the 50s/60s growing up with the Basque influence. Circa 1960 we used to go down for dinner at the Basque restaurant in that very block. There used to be a community center/dance hall there but a bad fire changed it all. There was only one major doorway to the upper floor, and a lot of people got trapped.....the fire department rescued them but the City Council passed some of the strictest zoning laws known at the time.
Rear and side doors had to be included in all new construction & old bldg revision...

The result was a little expensive at first but people adapted to not putting all their Basques in one exit......:eek::cool::confused::p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top