JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I located to the Paloose and Camas prairie region in Idaho. I love it.
Being born and raised a "prairie gopher", I've always preferred wide open vistas over the claustrophobia inducing (to me) deep dark big tree forests of the coastal areas and mountains. I'd rather drive for hours on end through rolling hills and Wheat fields than spend even a few hours driving in a rat maze of trees.

Amber waves and spacious skies for me, Purple mountains majesty for others.
There's a lot of prairie vistas around here where I can park and see no power lines, houses, barns etc.... at all. And NO dam wind farms blocking my view to satisfy some urbanite's green dream by screwing with my neighborhood.
So......I have been meaning to ask you........Do you have an Albin 25? Very cool boat!!!

I did, but I sold it a couple of years ago. Some guy drove all the way from Florida to buy it.
That was one great boat!

albingenomskarning.jpg

Last Edited:
I grew up in SW Idaho & have traveled far & wide thru the entire state; each area has it's own unique qualities.

My across-the-road neighbor during the 50s-60s-70s was an old man who worked the mines in Hells Canyon circa 1895. We shared stories as summer '67 I worked on the Lower Hells Canyon Dam project. Labor camp was on "Big Bar", with the remains of an antique mummified apple orchard. He got a kick out of that, as his Big Bar story 70 years before, was being able to load up his pack train with fresh apples @ $1 per saddlebag, and pay his way back into his Boise base.

If you want to check the official Oregon Geological Names index, the name "Brownlee" is entirely wrong, despite "Brownlee Reservoir" and dam now celebrated by Idaho Power & the Fish & Game people. His story was that there used to be a tannery there, where an old German "Lee" took on the hue of his various dies & toxins in the hide tanning process. Maybe no one is interested these days, yet there a bunch of local history that he shared from so long ago.

I've thought often of returning to Idaho, yet my memories are of a Boise area under 65000 population, etc. It was a long drive between Meridian/Nampa/Caldwell etc.

Frank Church was still active Senator in those days. The Wilderness Area became a reality.....IMHO a very GOOD thing for the state.

Been looking at Nampa.
beware of the triangle of death, possibly still operating in NE side of town: I used to live withing a stone's throw between them all:

Just off the freeway is the old sugar beet factory; on a road into town was a then-new settling pond for the city sewage plant; and out toward Garretty Blvd was a rendering plant for the dead livestock. At certain times of the year....

well, maybe that sewage pond is filled in now.....
In any case there's a LOT of great places to check out. Good luck.

One of my buddies Deputies came to the door the other day. He was doing a welfare check on my neighbor (and tenant) The rural postmistress had reported that they hadn't picked up there mail in a few days. We had noticed there wasn't much going on but hadn't thought much about it. The husband has been undergoing cancer treatments at the VA in Salt Lake. So, we called and everything is as good as can be expected with the treatment. It is just how we do things here. Last week the neighbors horses got out, we put them in our pasture for a couple of days while they could get there fence fixed. Everyone in Weiser goes to the same (excellent) schools so there is no part of town considered better than another. We are rated as the safest town in Idaho.......never any lines at the DMV or drivers licence office. At the DMV you are just as likely to deal with the elected county assessor as a clerk. My 2007 GMC 1 ton dually cost 160.00 to licence for 2 years. Our insurance went down 40% when we moved back. I had one of my heart attacks (I have many) a couple of years ago. When the Ambulance came there were 2 paramedics. They both wanted to work on me in the back so the Sherrif deputy drove the ambiliance to the ER. Our property values are 20% higher than across the river in Oregon because the taxes and regulation is so much less. The list is never ending.......
Miss Nampa. Never should of left..Looking around Cascade but around 285, 300,000 for a decent place up McCall-Cascade now..

Miss Nampa. Never should of left..Looking around Cascade but around 285, 300,000 for a decent place up McCall-Cascade now..
If I didn't live in Weiser and still wanted SW Idaho, I would look hard at Emmett. It is a seemingly perfect little town. Vibrant enough to have great restaurants and other services, not too far from Nampa/Eagle/Boise if you need something more. Hunting, fishing shooting rafting the Payette. All are right there. There are natural barriers that won't let it become Californiacated like the Boise area cities.

When I first went to Boomershoot in Orofino, Idaho, two years ago, I noticed that a number of people were carrying openly and nobody even seemed to notice. Then I had a flat tire and went to Les Schwab to have it fixed. Got to chatting with the manager who was going to a long range shoot the same weekend. When we discovered our mutual interest, he brought out his brand new shooting mat from Midway, rolled it out on the floor in the customer service area and had me try it out. A couple of other people tried it out, too, before he put it away. When the service guy came in to ask if I wanted new valve stems, we started talking about his 22-250 rifle. It's hard to describe the feeling I got from that one experience. Just felt like home, the way home should be. And BTW, you oughta go to Boomershoot sometime. It's lots of fun and camaraderie. I volunteered to help build the "reactive" targets—had to get prior clearance from the Feds to work with the stuff (and was told not to call them "explosive" targets).

2 of my 4 brothers married, women from the Idaho falls area... and both are bat s#*+ crazy. They were also both anxious to move here to SW Washington.

I can dig the twin falls area especially around thousand springs(I just drove through there a few days ago and bought some excellent steel targets from @IronMonster), and the pan handle is always beautiful, but the whole eastern half... no thanks. Can't get past the perma smell of burnt potatos. The sky does make up for the blaaa landscape though... it seems bigger there, and the lightning storms are epic.
I just took these pictures Friday afternoon on my way through thousand springs.
View attachment 403041 View attachment 403042
Thank your brothers for removing the crazy women from our midst. There are too many of those everywhere.

I have a bunch of family in Emmett, we spend every 4th of July there for a family reunion.
Every once in a while I think real hard about moving their, but the winters are pretty cold for me.

I've lived in about 30 different states and now live in Owyhee county also..been in Idaho off and on for about 30 years....love Idaho and wouldn't leave if my life depended on it...My freedoms come first and this state is as free as we have left...Notazombie..you should let me come over and pop those coyote for ya...lol

now live in Owyhee county
....my formal education started in a two room school house in Owyhee County.....a marvelous sandstone block construction, with the entire 1st floor housing the 1st 6 grades in a single large room. The upper classmen were in the 2nd floor room, all 6 years of them up there....total of maybe 60 or so for 12 grades.

Went back to the old town about 20 years ago to check it out.
The new school building(s) were at the back of the very same property; all that remained off MY school was the stone entryway & a big bell.

If Oregon and Washington get assimilated into California, Idaho will be my refuge. I was born in Leavenworth, WA and grew up around Bremerton and Poulsbo. I moved to Oregon in the early 80's (Rainier and St Helens). I love salt water and the mountains and trees. Maybe the mountainous part of the panhandle would work for me. I like the Twin Falls, Idaho Falls and Boise area, but the people are way to far on the left for me. Maybe near Coeur d' Alene? Spent some time around Nampa, testing gas purity for the semiconductor plants. The area and town seemed very nice, but didn't notice the smell mentioned earlier. Not really a prairie person, but could get used to it to put Seattle and Portland in the rear view mirror.

If I didn't live in Weiser and still wanted SW Idaho, I would look hard at Emmett. It is a seemingly perfect little town. Vibrant enough to have great restaurants and other services, not too far from Nampa/Eagle/Boise if you need something more. Hunting, fishing shooting rafting the Payette. All are right there. There are natural barriers that won't let it become Californiacated like the Boise area cities.
Thats true,Emmett's a great town as well.Growing pretty fast right now. We used to hunt up the peak above Ninemeyer Campground. Near Arrowrock Dam there. The Fox brothers were good friends, and the best Idaho native hunters i ever ran across. Jim Fox always did have your back. Mostly miss the people.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top