JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why is rural Idaho awesome?

Because of all the things it isn't.
It isn't Portland.
It isn't Seattle.
it isn't California.
It isn't east coast, etc., etc., etc.

I used to hunt just outside Lowman with a buddy that has a family cabin on the river. It's really nice country and the people are great too. I miss it, not the low wages, just the country and people.

Born in Boise, was a kid there until 1953. Loved it. We had rock fights in the street, snow in the winter, wonderful summers.
The move was to Portland.

I had only gone back to visit my grandmother but that ended in the early 70s.
Then went thru in 95 and what a world of change. :(

But as a state it beats Ore or Wash hands down.

I miss it, not the low wages, just the country and people.
Wages and cost of living is somewhat relative. Sure, you might not make as much doing the same job here as you might in Seattle or Portland but you can also buy the same house for a whole lot less. I've also found that gas is cheaper in my middle of nowhere area than in the port towns in Oregon and Washington. Another thing that has worked in my favor is utilities. My current 3/2 house is about the same as the one I moved from. This one is all electric and on a good well and septic. One utility bill. Also, a small portion of my taxes allow me up to 500 pounds at the dump per month.
My old house had gas, electric, garbage, water, sewer (even though I was on a septic system), and annual backflow testing because there was an old irrigation well on the property. My utility costs are less than half here than what they were in Washington county.
One last point on taxes. My property taxes on 5 acres with a 3/2 house here was $1300 this year. My property taxes in Washington county last year for my similar 3/2 in Hillsboro was $4200. I'd have to do the math to see if sales tax cancels that out.

I'll add this to the plus column too. My daughter is in college but doesn't have a car with her. I made the drive to retrieve her for Christmas break yesterday and we got home about 10pm. We get out of the car and she stops talking mid-sentence, pauses, and blurts out, "Holy sh!t, look at all those stars!"

Born in Boise, was a kid there until 1953. Loved it. We had rock fights in the street, snow in the winter, wonderful summers.
The move was to Portland.

I had only gone back to visit my grandmother but that ended in the early 70s.
Then went thru in 95 and what a world of change. :(

But as a state it beats Ore or Wash hands down.

I have always believed that Oregon and Washing were only good buffers to keep Idaho from washing into the sea....
Thank's

I'll add this to the plus column too. My daughter is in college but doesn't have a car with her. I made the drive to retrieve her for Christmas break yesterday and we got home about 10pm. We get out of the car and she stops talking mid-sentence, pauses, and blurts out, "Holy sh!t, look at all those stars!"

LOL x2......So funny! :p

Wages and cost of living is somewhat relative. Sure, you might not make as much doing the same job here as you might in Seattle or Portland but you can also buy the same house for a whole lot less. I've also found that gas is cheaper in my middle of nowhere area than in the port towns in Oregon and Washington. Another thing that has worked in my favor is utilities. My current 3/2 house is about the same as the one I moved from. This one is all electric and on a good well and septic. One utility bill. Also, a small portion of my taxes allow me up to 500 pounds at the dump per month.
My old house had gas, electric, garbage, water, sewer (even though I was on a septic system), and annual backflow testing because there was an old irrigation well on the property. My utility costs are less than half here than what they were in Washington county.
One last point on taxes. My property taxes on 5 acres with a 3/2 house here was $1300 this year. My property taxes in Washington county last year for my similar 3/2 in Hillsboro was $4200. I'd have to do the math to see if sales tax cancels that out.
I was going to make that exact point. A couple of my step kids just got together and bought there dad's House in a bad area (Bay Point, California) of the east bay, a modest tract house they are going to rent through some state program. The house is a 60's 1200 sq ft typical tract house. They paid 420,000 for it. The bankrupt state rented it for use by some challenged soul, gave the kids a years rent up front, 60,000$, they have a 3 year contract at 5,000 a month. That house would be 125,000 here and rent for 900.00 in a safe little town with good schools. The actual amount of money you make is much less important than the lifestyle you have. We were at my USCG son's house in Eureka over thanksgiving, even with the premium we expect to pay for Oregon fuel (about .10 a gallon) Diesel was .80 higher in California then on the Oregon border. My son is a newly married E5 and his wife teaches at a local Indian reservation. They live in a cute little (small) house in the redwoods, 2800.00 a month. The house is similar to one we own here in town on 1/2 an acre for 650.00.........

Last Edited:
0FB1B477-6D8A-40F4-AAAB-1D693C2054F8.jpeg
The party we had here at the ranch for the eclipse, a multiple PHD, NASA scientist friend of mine from California presided with 1,000,000 in equipment. The paper he wrote has been published in several scientific journals and may be the definitive article about the event from anywhere. He has produced and performed a presentation about it that has been shown many times to his community. Our sky and air was perfect, the photography was incredible. We all shot guns after it was over off the back porch.....just for fun. In that photo, there are 3 PHD's, 3 multi millionaires, the past president of the Idaho cattleman's association, A West Point Grad, a banker and professional engineer. Not bad company.

Last Edited:
On that note, and in reference to the Oregonians hate Californians thread, there are a few other Oregon refugees but I've met many more from California. They all seem to be extremely protective of individual freedom. Seemingly even more vocal about it than the indigenous population. And on the other end, the lefties I've met here (mostly under 30) would love nothing more than to move to Portland. I always encourage them to follow their dreams:D

What the heck did we ever do to you? We are tired of the ones we have and you are trying to send more to us? Well, stop it. Please encourage them to head back east and propagate there instead of here. I love living in Oregon and hate the thought of having to move somewhere else to live the way I like too. Keep looking at Texas but it just gets to dang hot there.

What the heck did we ever do to you? We are tired of the ones we have and you are trying to send more to us? Well, stop it. Please encourage them to head back east and propagate there instead of here. I love living in Oregon and hate the thought of having to move somewhere else to live the way I like too. Keep looking at Texas but it just gets to dang hot there.
Well,
The people bubblegum on the streets in Portland, and live under every single bridge in town while smoking pot and shooting up everything they can. They look ugly, smell ugly, and live like pigs... Use country mice do not do well with City Rats.... But after all, look who is running the city!
Have a great day!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads