JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just to clarify, I have my own reasons most of which have been mentioned. I'm just sharing a write up I received via email from a SEAL buddy, he doesn't mess around! I'm not looking for a reason to carry.

To Saint John Moses Browning

He protects my body and soul;
He guides me in the paths of large caliber for the sake of his name.
He prepares a full magazine in the presence of my enemies.
My Glasers and my Hydra-shoks they comfort me.
And yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death I will fear no evil, for my 1911 is with me.
_Psalm 1911

I carry because there is a high percentage of the population that I don't trust these days. Didn't used to be that way.
Sadly it does seem that it's getting worse but I have carried for many decades. Over 50 years ago I knew in passing a guy who found out the hard way that there is evil in the world. Guy lived in the "upscale" side of king Co. Often on nice nights loved to head out and walk. Some times he covered a lot of ground. One night some people he described as "young" attacked him for no apparent reason. Beat him so bad he was in the hospital for a long time, almost died. This kind of thing was something that was news back then as it was so rare. I was just a kid but that memory stayed with me into adulthood. As soon as I could buy a gun I carried a gun. Sadly this kind of story is no longer news. :mad:

Back in the day(about 1975 I believe) when you had options for your CWP, Sport, Travel, Protection, & Business, I was asked by the King Co. Deputy renewing my permit what I did for work. Since I sometimes made bank deposits, he just checked all the blocks and I have carried 24/7 ever since! Seattle was bedoming a problem even back then.

Back in the day(about 1975 I believe) when you had options for your CWP, Sport, Travel, Protection, & Business, I was asked by the King Co. Deputy renewing my permit what I did for work. Since I sometimes made bank deposits, he just checked all the blocks and I have carried 24/7 ever since! Seattle was bedoming a problem even back then.
Back when they used to ask why you wanted a permit I used to just say I hunt and hike and wanted a pistol for this with me. Don't remember them ever saying anything other than ok. It was a rubber stamp from the time I was 21. I had heard some jurisdictions were slightly more intrusive but don't remember anyone ever being turned down. I remember back in the 70's we were far more rare. It always seemed strange to me that I could carry here but when I went to AZ we never could get a damn CC law passed. WA was ahead of the curve on that for a good while.

The first time a drugged up homeless guy pulled a knife on me while working on a downtown SW Portland medical building, I wished I was carrying.
The second time it happened, a drugged up homeless guy was wishing I wasn't.

Last Edited:

I thought about that quote the other day, and decided to start finding my limits, as far as shooting accuracy is concerned. Took a pistol and a revolver out and started shooting a steel target from maybe 5 yards away, and then backing off a few steps to shoot again. Turns out, on that day I started missing the target at about 40 yards. I'll repeat the test again on a day when it's not raining, and see how I do. Haven't tried it with a rifle yet, but I intend to. Knowing my limitations seems worthwhile.

Edited to add:

In answer to the OP: I carry because it's the responsible thing to do. I don't know if I could live with myself if some nut job shot up a group of people while I was there and unarmed. If I'm armed, there's at least a chance I could put a stop to a shooting spree similar to the one that happened at Luby's in Texas.

Last Edited:
Shattered my Innocence that day! It was an eye opener that crime can happen anywhere at any time to anybody, and that I had a choice to be a victim or not, I chose not to be a victim, and armed my self for the brave New world I had suddenly woke to!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top