JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in school at Wazzu 3 plus decades ago we set the beer bottle down one weekend so we could go shoot gophers. We'd bagged about 8 or 10 and were headed back to the rig when one of the little suckers popped up and both my buddy and me fire almost simultaneously. I am positive it was his 22lr round that flattened the tire on the farmer's hay rake.

Boy I miss my college days sometimes. Can't do That at UDub unless you wanna drive 100 miles!:s0114:

Brutus Out

One of my dear friends was sighting in his 7mm Magnum over the hood of his truck. As he worked on his sight picture the rifle kept getting lower and lower. The scope being higher than the bore he didn't notice that the muzzle was now pointing into the hood. The only damage was an elongated hole in the sheet metal. The bullet disintegrated, with tiny pieces all over the engine bay - could have been a lot worse.

Shooting 30-06 over roof of my poor old Subaru blew the trim off the drip rail on the other side with the muzzle blast. Smart enough to watch elevation, didnt think about blast

Shooting 30-06 over roof of my poor old Subaru blew the trim off the drip rail on the other side with the muzzle blast. Smart enough to watch elevation, didnt think about blast
I use my Subaru Forester as a "portable bench rest" all the time shooting gophers in Montana. The Bull Bag elevates the .223 Rem about 5 inches above the roof. Haven't noticed any ill effects yet. Probably won't shoot the .270WSM from the same position, though.

I can't believe you actually used your car. That's like having your wife stand in front of a target to practice shooting in a hostage scenario.

That's why you use plywood when you practice.
Same principal, effect, and practice with none of the risks.

byfl.jpg

I can't believe you actually used your car. That's like having your wife stand in front of a target to practice shooting in a hostage scenario.

byfl.jpg

Or drag a real car onto the range. Every self-respecting range should have a rusty *** bullet pocked jalopy slowly sinking into the grass.

The range I used to train at was pretty good about my antics, but they would NOT let me drag a jalopy out into the grass, so I made a plywood car with fenders and wheel cutouts for urban-prone. Guys would shoot through the "tires" constantly. But that wasn't limited to just the car prop- guys will fail to take bore axis into account on just about any cover.

Or drag a real car onto the range. Every self-respecting range should have a rusty *** bullet pocked jalopy slowly sinking into the grass.

The range I used to train at was pretty good about my antics, but they would NOT let me drag a jalopy out into the grass, so I made a plywood car with fenders and wheel cutouts for urban-prone. Guys would shoot through the "tires" constantly. But that wasn't limited to just the car prop- guys will fail to take bore axis into account on just about any cover.

I agree that other barriers are better, but a car is what I HAVE there. Just a comment, the cops I've trained with routinely use their cars as well, even on "official" training routines.

LOL. "Mom's Car" Well the wife did want the truck in the divorce but now it's Daddy's go-to-the woods kid hauler. I did get a great week of wheeling in Utah, but that another story.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ideally, I'd join Tri county where they have the action ranges with barrels and partitions but getting in there is half the challenge.

IDPA has been teaching to get right up on the cover. Your saying to stay a couple of feet back. Is this so you maintain more mobility and don't get caught against something?

You honestly have a lower profile which makes you a smaller target when you're backed away from it

byfl.jpg

My car is a tool. My wife...is my wife. I'm not sure I would ever make a comparison like that. By the same token, you wouldn't want to "bang up" your guns by shooting them all the time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top