Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Whoops, this ever happen to you?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by redhippie, Aug 29, 2013.

1. redhippie

redhippie People's republic of PDX Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg

I got a little close while practicing cover and fire.

image.jpg

2. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

No.....hasn't happened to me.

I'm sure that someone will suggest keeping your finger off the trigger until you have a good sight picture...etc

3. robertg

robertg Sandy Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I'd leave that on my car, it's kinda cool.

PaulZ, H2O MAN, carracer and 5 others like this.
  4. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

Well at least your practicing that's the good thing. the rig not so good..lol

5. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I once blew the rag top off my Olds with muzzle blast, working on improvised urban fighting positions, when I was a young man. I had to drive around with that crap flapping in the wind for months, because in addition to stupid, you're also broke and lazy when you're a young man.

6. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

I once put a round though a tank oops my bad I was using a law rocket..lol true story well maybe not though but I hit the s.o.b

7. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

but he didn't shoot the car. :bluelaugh:

Nightshade and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Ben Beckerich

Yea, powder scorching is pretty easy to achieve, especially on a white enamel like that. OP didn't necessarily do anything wrong, just didn't thank about it.

9. Ben Beckerich

And I'm sure that rubbed right off

10. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

It looks like you got just close enough, to me. I would say that in a real situation, you wouldn't be concerned with some powder burns.

Vehicles are completely utilitarian for me. I would say as long as you didn't actually shoot the car, you're doing just fine and keep up the practice. It really does make perfect. Of course, if you do view your car as a status symbol or anything else, that could be an issue.

Brutus57 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Once, while at Grafenwehr, during the dark ages of the cold war, a tank followed the IR beam the wrong way and shot the search light tank...or so the story goes. I didn't see that happen, but did see some guys follow the light the wrong way and have a "Cease Fire!!" called....

(There is a story about range 42 and the gasthaus 42 1/2 that tankers might enjoy, but not enough of them on here to make it worth while.)....

Sight picture is a wonderful thing.

12. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

powder marks from a .357 when leaning against your wife's white Hardi Plank sided house definitely don't come right off. She painted over those.....

13. redhippie

Yup, buffed right out

14. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

Save Yourself a lot of grief and back off from whatever you're hiding behind For your practice. Then be sure of your shot, You get better concealment that way. Also you might practice with something else besides moms car. 2 x 4, Barrel, cardboard box even.

15. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

People put fake bullet holes on their cars, so why not this? lol

16. modbus

modbus Beaverton, OR New Member

That's never happened to me, but now that I've seen it I kind of want to do the same thing on my classic Rover.

I'm pretty sure that's an LR3... in which case I'd keep it. Gives it more credibility-- too many people think Land Rovers are predominantly used by soccer moms as mall crawlers.

17. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

No, but my son put a .22lr through the passenger side mirror housing on my Subaru Forester while shooting gophers in Montana a few years back. Does that count?

18. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

I have seen bullet holes in hoods of cars before because people didn't think about the scope/sight picture offset from the barrel at the muzzle. Scope was clear, but the hood was in the line of fire. So all in all, you learned your lesson the easy way.

And as oknow mentioned, it is sometimes better to back away from your cover a little bit. You can't really use it as a rest also if you do that though.

And I agree with mobus. People only think about what they see. Land Rovers are supposed to be rugged, just like jeeps and hummers, but they have been coopted for different, if not equally important tasks of transporting our children safely.

19. redhippie

LOL. "Mom's Car" Well the wife did want the truck in the divorce but now it's Daddy's go-to-the woods kid hauler. I did get a great week of wheeling in Utah, but that another story.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ideally, I'd join Tri county where they have the action ranges with barrels and partitions but getting in there is half the challenge.

IDPA has been teaching to get right up on the cover. Your saying to stay a couple of feet back. Is this so you maintain more mobility and don't get caught against something?

20. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

My dad told me of a guy that put a few nice holes in the bed of his new truck with a rifle and a poorly sighted in scope.