JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
image.jpg image.jpg

I got a little close while practicing cover and fire.

image.jpg

I once blew the rag top off my Olds with muzzle blast, working on improvised urban fighting positions, when I was a young man. I had to drive around with that crap flapping in the wind for months, because in addition to stupid, you're also broke and lazy when you're a young man.

Yea, powder scorching is pretty easy to achieve, especially on a white enamel like that. OP didn't necessarily do anything wrong, just didn't thank about it.

It looks like you got just close enough, to me. I would say that in a real situation, you wouldn't be concerned with some powder burns.

Vehicles are completely utilitarian for me. I would say as long as you didn't actually shoot the car, you're doing just fine and keep up the practice. It really does make perfect. Of course, if you do view your car as a status symbol or anything else, that could be an issue.

Once, while at Grafenwehr, during the dark ages of the cold war, a tank followed the IR beam the wrong way and shot the search light tank...or so the story goes. I didn't see that happen, but did see some guys follow the light the wrong way and have a "Cease Fire!!" called....

(There is a story about range 42 and the gasthaus 42 1/2 that tankers might enjoy, but not enough of them on here to make it worth while.)....

Sight picture is a wonderful thing.

Save Yourself a lot of grief and back off from whatever you're hiding behind For your practice. Then be sure of your shot, You get better concealment that way. Also you might practice with something else besides moms car. 2 x 4, Barrel, cardboard box even.

That's never happened to me, but now that I've seen it I kind of want to do the same thing on my classic Rover.

I'm pretty sure that's an LR3... in which case I'd keep it. Gives it more credibility-- too many people think Land Rovers are predominantly used by soccer moms as mall crawlers.

No, but my son put a .22lr through the passenger side mirror housing on my Subaru Forester while shooting gophers in Montana a few years back. Does that count?

I have seen bullet holes in hoods of cars before because people didn't think about the scope/sight picture offset from the barrel at the muzzle. Scope was clear, but the hood was in the line of fire. So all in all, you learned your lesson the easy way.

And as oknow mentioned, it is sometimes better to back away from your cover a little bit. You can't really use it as a rest also if you do that though.

And I agree with mobus. People only think about what they see. Land Rovers are supposed to be rugged, just like jeeps and hummers, but they have been coopted for different, if not equally important tasks of transporting our children safely.

Save Yourself a lot of grief and back off from whatever you're hiding behind For your practice. Then be sure of your shot, You get better concealment that way. Also you might practice with something else besides moms car. 2 x 4, Barrel, cardboard box even.

LOL. "Mom's Car" Well the wife did want the truck in the divorce but now it's Daddy's go-to-the woods kid hauler. I did get a great week of wheeling in Utah, but that another story.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ideally, I'd join Tri county where they have the action ranges with barrels and partitions but getting in there is half the challenge.

IDPA has been teaching to get right up on the cover. Your saying to stay a couple of feet back. Is this so you maintain more mobility and don't get caught against something?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top