JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tire change in order?

As far as I've been able to determine, cold air intakes are supposed to increase air density of the incoming charge, but others have said the cooler air requires more BTUs to heat it up anyway so it really doesn't get you anywhere. In my mind, it may have an advantage when it gets hot in the summer, helping delay the onset of pre-ignition a bit by keeping the temperature in the cylinder a few degrees lower.

I have NO idea what a computer-controlled engine makes of all this.

I changed to Yoko Tires and it made a big difference in the amount of road noise. 'They' say the Michelons (sp?) are even better, but at nearly $100 more per tire, the Yokos had to do. Even they were $1200!! I love the performance package, but these 19 inch tires are hard on the wallet.

The Cold Air Intake really only brings fresh 'outside' air into the manifold rather than the 'engine' air from under the hood. It also provides a bit of air induction. Also, I take the extension to the Intake off in the winter. As much as anything, (incoming air temp. aside) I think it's just a free'er flowing system.

I wasn't very pleased at first, because my gas mileage dropped by about 4-5 mpg. I took it into the dealer, and one of the guys I have a drink with once in a while, 'checked' it, and told me I had nothing wrong and wrote it up as a Courtesy Check. Now, I get 3 mpg more than I got stock! :D

As for a 'computer-controlled engine'; It re-programed it-self! On start-up, after the install, I listened to the engine RPM and sound changing for about 2 minutes, before it smoothed out again, and found the sweet spot.

Frog.

Gotta love an intelligent ICE...

I used to get on a Tundra owner's forum and there were guys on there doing all the traditional things to improve performance: CAIs, headers, duals, the works. Almost all reported worse overall performance and worse mileage, though some got the torque peak to shift in the direction they wanted. Mostly Toyota seemed to have set up the truck about as good as it could be from the factory, with most of the torque in the lower end. I have read of some owner improvements being made to 2006 and later models, and I suspect the aftermarket parts have been tweaked to perform better in these engines. Something to consider on other platforms if you're changing things.

Thanks gallogiro,

I love it!

I looked at the 350Z, but like a bit larger interior. With a back seat that can actually be sat in.

It's a fun car to drive, either in automatic mode or as a 5 speed standard. With the Cold Air Intake, I figure about 310-320 ponies, that push it very nicely.

Probably my only complaint is it has high road noise, which means ya need to keep the tunes turned up.

Thanks again,
Frog.

Ahh, but that 370Z is Dead Sexy!

I work at a inpatient mental health facility, I am the big mean guy that holds the patients down while there getting shots or going wild, Besides shooting and working i volunteer at many oregon based Autism assosations, my daughter got diagnossed about a year ago,used to beleive Autism was BS now i must make up for my past arrogance.
btw excuse the spelling:)

What a varied background of people with a common interest in guns! Me, I'm a retired forester, 32 years with the Forest Service, now I keep busy working a day or so a week at a golf course to pay for my greens fees. Wish it'd pay for my gun hobby but it doesn't...

Laid off about a month ago and been on funemployment ever since... not lookin too good right now on the job hunt. before the economy told me to bend over I worked for a wholesale food company here in seattle called Pacific Food Importers. On the bright side i've got 80 lbs. of navy beans and rice, so i'll be ok for awhile :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top