JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...On this day in 2001?

We were on a yearly vacation at Siltcoos Lake on the Central coast near Florence Oregon. We were always on the water before the sun came up fishing for bass. We were close to shore at the far north end of Kiechle Arm casting plastic worms into the weeds. A damn beautiful day it was! Water like glass, sun just had come up over the coast range, some wispy fog barely blowing over the water. A gal in a home made rowing skiff had come out from one of the small private docks at a house on the lake. She told what she'd seen on TV about an air plane hitting the side of a building in New York. How terrible we thought.

Back in those days we would always go in around 9:30, or so, and make a sandwich and sit there at the room and eat. After tying the boat at the dock we walked up to the room and the guest in the neighboring room, her name was Lorretta, came out all excited and was telling us about this airplane/building thing. We turned on the TV in our room to see what was going on.
What a fluke of an accident we were thinking! We watched some more while Jane made sandwiches. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember thinking while watching it happen....Why, couldn't that pilot, have steered away from that tall building, and crashed that plane into a less populated area?
We were there to fish, so we went back out, like we did most days, and fished until mid afternoon. At that time we had no idea the depth of what was happening. We had no idea something like this could ever happen here. This begs the question.

Where is joe biden today?
:s0099:

Driving to work early, the radio announced that a small craft airplane ran into the World Trade Center.

I have a picture that I took from the top of tower two a year earlier. They took your picture before the elevator ride up just in case you base jumped it.

As with the shoot of JFK I am sure I will always remember this one too. Kids were getting ready for school, Wife was getting ready for work. I was playing on a chat board and a post came up to pray for the people in NY. Went out and turned on TV to see first tower on fire. Was watching as the second plane came in and hit. I will never forget the sinking feeling and mind racing that we were actually under attack. Called Wife said hold off on letting the kids out of the house till we find out WTF is going on.

I called in sick. I sat dumbfounded for a long time watching it all.
I sat in silence. I had done almost exactly the same thing as JFK
took one in the back of his head. I know, I understand that I grew
up in a different time and culture. I'm still here, but feel as an
outsider. I know life is change. Thank God I have my memories.
But I'm not making new ones anymore.

I called in sick. I sat dumbfounded for a long time watching it all.
I sat in silence. I had done almost exactly the same thing as JFK
took one in the back of his head. I know, I understand that I grew
up in a different time and culture. I'm still here, but feel as an
outsider. I know life is change. Thank God I have my memories.
But I'm not making new ones anymore.
Hey, I feel ya'. I had no idea for some time that we were under attack. Like I said we went back out on the lake. As far as JFK goes, I was a little one, laying on the couch at grandma's watching cartoons before I had to go to elementary school. Mom and dad both worked and grandma lived one lot away. so that's where i want before/after school. Grandma started crying. That's all I remember of that.

I have memories too. It's short term that's becoming an issue.

Just got home from a graveyard at a Boston hospital. Winding down reading, smoking cigs with news on in the background...saw it "live". Shared apartment with late brother, went & woke him up (late sleeper/worked evenings). Watched remainder together.

Today: placed at half @ 728 PST, cover removed & over heart, 2 sharp rings on bell...

IMG_1268.jpeg

Last Edited:
In the bed, with a temporary splint on my left arm because I had just broken the upper arm bone at the first football game the Friday prior. Dad woke me up when the news showed and I witnessed on TV the 2nd plane's impact.

I was driving to work in Billings, Montana. I had the radio on playing some station or another when the news came. I got to work, and the other guys had a TV set up on the sales desk up front. I had retired from the Navy a few years before, and we had a few guys that were in the Army Reserve working there. One of them asked what I thought. I looked at him and said "Don't be surprised if you get called up". He and the other reservists did get called up a bit later. Everyone there was just numb all day.

I wasn't in any country.

As a civilian DoD contractor working for the Marine Corps on deployed Navy warships, I was halfway back to the US on a carrier when the skipper announced ship-wide (1MC for those familiar) that one tower had been "hit by a plane," casualties yet unknown. Nowhere near a TV, my immediate thought was that a random Cessna had been unable to maintain VFR and messed up.

2001 was already "modern Navy" with Internet and multiple TV stations in every workspace on every ship, so I had a funny feeling when I went to my office and found that both were shut down. When it was announced that the second tower had been attacked, I automatically assumed OBL was behind it. We were given only the most scant details about the next two attacks going forward, and the collapse of both WTC towers. This along with the reassurance that a deployed aircraft carrier was actually a pretty safe place to be if circumstances continued to deteriorate.

Later the next day, I was deposited by helo on a soccer field at USMC Base Camp Pendleton with my toothbrush and cell phone.

Acts of war can mean different things to active/retired military and the rest of the world. Stunned, and relieved to be safe at home after a long deployment, I took my gal to a "quiet" supper on 9-12. We were a bit surprised to find the noisy, festive San Diego party atmosphere in full swing - as if nothing had happened.

I had a flight scheduled from Phoenix to Shanghai on that day. My first time to go to China.
The night before I crashed on my buddy's sofa, they were going to take me to the airport in the morning.
He had a very large rear projection Mitsubishi TV in front of the sofa, and that's what I woke up to. He had turned on the news and woke me up to show me what was happening.

My flight was cancelled, had to go 2 weeks later IIRC

I was a wee kiddo so not really. I was at home getting ready for school and the TV was turned on to the news but I didn't really grasp the gravity of the situation at the time.

Woke up to the DJs on my clock radio talking about some kind of attack in NYC. Laid there for 15 minutes listening in growing horror until I figured out I might learn more from the TV. Drove into the office with my GF listening to more reports, then sat around with co-workers listening to the news. Probably the only day I ever spent with that team where we had zero productivity. We all ended up going out for pizza - we just couldn't listen anymore. More shocks when we heard that one of our own was on flight 93. Days of wandering around in shock…blow after blow as I found out that I knew 4 people on 2 of the flights.

Two years later I was standing around the bar in the local Chili's when I saw a name I knew on a plaque on the wall and realized it was actually 5. Set my beer down and walked out. It was that or drink way too many and I didn't want to sully their memories that way.

Yeah…I remember. I still think of it as the end of a chance for golden age.

I was sitting in the back of an aircraft on a ramp in Italy, a guy from the Italian airport fire department on the base, came by and asked me to follow him into the fire department, As i entered the lounge area, i saw the second aircraft hit the building, it was a live broadcast on Italian T.V. One of our pilots had shifted home and his itinerary had him flying on U.A.93, the weird thing is, his connecting flight was late and he missed the flight ( U.A. 93 ).

Last Edited:
Yep....
Got to my desk at work just in time to watch the second one live on the internet.
I called my girlfriend(who is my wife) and told her to wake up and watch the news. She was still bartending.

Weird day.

I'll never forget.

Screenshot_20230911_140916_Facebook.jpg

I really appreciate the stories here. Each years since then I never, really, gave the day much thought on the anniversary. It brought some sadness, yes. Somehow it really hurts this year. After watching our country morph into something unrecognizable in the last three years. And with the crazy stuff that happened to the former Commander in Chief the previous five years. And for some reason the current bag of skin and brainless vp inhabiting The White House this year. It's all pretty sad this year, and I'm afraid for the future.

Still want to hear more stories though. Damn, some you guys have had some interesting lives! :s0116:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top