JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After the latest shooting in Roseburg Oregon I've been thinking about the ammunition shortage of 2013. This summer I saw 9mm(the round which I shoot most often,) as low as $9.97/box of 50(Bi-Mart)
That makes a case of 500 less than $100
I'm thinking that I should have a minimum of 1000 rounds of ammunition for my glocks(all chambered in 9mm,) and I have about 500 rounds now, this is not about being a panicked buyer rather I love to shoot and I don't want to be forced into paying twice as much for my ammunition
Opinions?

Buy cheap, stack it deep!

Ammo.jpg

Won't tell you what I have in ammo.

I will tell you I feel better about owning the ammo. Than I feel bad about spending the money.;)

Medic! That may be the best answer to this age old question that I've ever read. I'm inclined to agree with you myself.

I have learned that buying ammo is never something I regret. Don't limit yourself with a number. No one can tell you how much YOU need but YOU. Just buy when the prices are good. Pass on the gouging, and you'll be fine.

I heard someone saying "good thing I bought a box of that .380 the day before the shooting" and I'm thinking Gawd "a box?" should've bought a case, what good is one box going to do? 50 rounds doesn't even fill four of my Glock magazines!

Medic! That may be the best answer to this age old question that I've ever read. I'm inclined to agree with you myself.

I have learned that buying ammo is never something I regret. Don't limit yourself with a number. No one can tell you how much YOU need but YOU. Just buy when the prices are good. Pass on the gouging, and you'll be fine.
Which begs to question what is your opinion of "gouging?" 15$ a box?(for 9mm fmj) because as I've seen lately I am beginning to look for the near $10 or less per box ammunition and avoiding anything closer to $15...

You'll know the gouging when it comes. Typically I gauge my values on Bimart prices if it's apples to apples. I have found that Bimart typically has the best prices as far as stores locally are concerned. Cabelas is usually over priced on most everything unless it's a good sale.

For 9mm I happen to like the Blazer brass. Bimart had it for 9 something a box not too long ago if I recall. There regular price is around 10-11? I personally wouldn't pay 15.99 for regular 9mm at this point, but that's just me.

Keep an eye on the ammo section here, and on the various Facebook groups and armslist. People often are off loading 3 or 4 boxes for a good deal.

You'll know the gouging when it comes. Typically I gauge my values on Bimart prices if it's apples to apples. I have found that Bimart typically has the best prices as far as stores locally are concerned. Cabelas is usually over priced on most everything unless it's a good sale.

For 9mm I happen to like the Blazer brass. Bimart had it for 9 something a box not too long ago if I recall. There regular price is around 10-11? I personally wouldn't pay 15.99 for regular 9mm at this point, but that's just me.

Keep an eye on the ammo section here, and on the various Facebook groups and armslist. People often are off loading 3 or 4 boxes for a good deal.
Yep Bimart Blazer Brass 115gr for $9.97/box up until about 3-1/2 weeks ago... Cabelas has Barnes TACXPD JHP $16.99 a box(20)(good deal) and they often run Hornady Critical Defense for $19.99 box(25) recently it's been Hornady Zombie Max, (same thing as critical defense) for $18.99(25) and awhile ago cabelas had Sellier & Bellot $10.99/50 FMJ and Fiocchi for $11.49/50. They have a regular deal on 50 round boxes of a brand called "independent" which is actually JHP 115 grain "made in Israel" for $15.99 which I bought a few but that's been sold out recently and I figure that I am better off buying the premium JHP(like Hornady or Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger or that Barnes PD) as my carry ammo which I don't shoot except when I collect enough rounds that have been chambered and ejected so many times that they are starting to look scratched up I shoot them to keep the fresh ones cycling in my carry piece.
About a week ago I got Winchester white box value pack 124GR (100) for 24.99, not horrible at cabelas
Walmart had "perfecta" (made by Tulammo-but Brass cased) 115gr $10.97/(50) also up until several weeks ago. Recently it's been $12.47/50 of Federal Champion 115gr FMJ at Walmart. Although they have their Tulammo aluminum and steel crap for around $11/box which I never buy, because it is just dirty as hell

Yep Bimart Blazer Brass 115gr for $9.97/box up until about 3-1/2 weeks ago... Cabelas has Barnes TACXPD JHP $16.99 a box(20)(good deal) and they often run Hornady Critical Defense for $19.99 box(25) recently it's been Hornady Zombie Max, (same thing as critical defense) for $18.99(25) and awhile ago cabelas had Sellier & Bellot $10.99/50 FMJ and Fiocchi for $11.49/50. They have a regular deal on 50 round boxes of a brand called "independent" which is actually JHP 115 grain "made in Israel" for $15.99 which I bought a few but that's been sold out recently and I figure that I am better off buying the premium JHP(like Hornady or Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger or that Barnes PD) as my carry ammo which I don't shoot except when I collect enough rounds that have been chambered and ejected so many times that they are starting to look scratched up I shoot them to keep the fresh ones cycling in my carry piece.
About a week ago I got Winchester white box value pack 124GR (100) for 24.99, not horrible at cabelas
Walmart had "perfecta" (made by Tulammo-but Brass cased) 115gr $10.97/(50) also up until several weeks ago. Recently it's been $12.47/50 of Federal Champion 115gr FMJ at Walmart. Although they have their Tulammo aluminum and steel crap for around $11/box which I never buy, because it is just dirty as hell

Come up with a zero-balance number and get there ASAP.

Then make periodic (weekly/monthly) purchases; reach a basic looad, keep on making them, don't stop, don't look back.

Get o a point where you will never dip into your basic load.

Pick up handloading for training and sport shooting.

I approach buying ammo as most people would approach a savings account. How much money should you save? Well as much as you possibly can plus a little. The only thing is just like saving money, the more you have the more you feel like its not enough.

Battle rifle in 7.62: enough to wear out a barrel! But then I have spare barrels also. I will let you do the math to figure the qty...;)

Personal defense handgun 5000 is a good reserve. Per gun!

Yea I also want some rebuild kits put together for my glocks; spare RSA's spare springs, extractors, triggers, strikers etc, have yet to see anyone selling a lot of this type for glocks

Yea I also want some rebuild kits put together for my glocks; spare RSA's spare springs, extractors, triggers, strikers etc, have yet to see anyone selling a lot of this type for glocks

As much as you can financially afford.

I keep 1,000's for my guns. My buddy keeps about 300 rounds in total... Depends on the person.

YMMV but I don't Heart handgun ammo too much, 500 per gun is a good number. Rifle ammo on the other hand should be 1000 and up
That's pretty much my thoughts. It depends on the ammo and firearm type.

Rimfire, at least several thousand per person - preferably 5K or more.

Defensive rifle - at least one thousand rounds per rifle. At least one K of that can be practice ammo - i.e., cheap FMJ, but at least another one K should be defensive ammo - i.e., NOT FMJ but rather expanding projectile ammo.

Handguns - defensive, about 500 rounds of practice ammo, at least 100 or more of expanding projectile ammo. They should both be the same projectile weight and power level, preferably shoot to the same point of aim.

For hunting rifles and handguns, at least 200 rounds of hunting ammo in each of the intended bullet weights and power levels, preferably more (if SHTF I don't think I will shoot more than 50 rounds per year of hunting ammo, if that - five to ten rounds to verify sight in, maybe ten to 50 for actual taking of game). E.G., 200 rounds of 180 to 200 grain SP .30-06 ammo for elk, 200 rounds of 150 to 168 grain for deer.

When the crazy shot up all those lawyers in San Francisco with Black Talon, I immediately went out and bought a case of 500 .45 ACP Black Talon. I still have most of it. Sure enough, not long after the price shot through the roof and then Winchester took it off the market.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top