JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It really depends on how many potential zombies are in your immediate are (population of cities around you).
In my rural are in don't anticipate to shoot more than 40-50 but I am a firm believer that double double taps are in order. Then you have to figure in the % of migrant zombies and those who just want to eat your brains and intestines....
Better figure about 18 -20,000 rounds just to be safe for a zombie apocalypse...:cool:

Then factor in if a country wide confication is enacted by the Kenyan in chief. I would double the amount stated above.
Don't forget to have plenty of cleaning supplies handy, wouldn't want to have any mechanical failures would we?:eek:

Last Edited:
Not quite true. Look at Vietnam which just might happen here. Think a little more about what SHTF really is. It wont be your normal sunday picnic. It will be measured in years, not days most likely. Until Jan 2017 the potential for it will not be centered around earthquakes and astroids but more likely around someone that tries to undermine the nations constitution. That looks like a much more realistic threat.
Time will tell.

I got a memory that comes from my brothers Leather neck magazine sent home while he was in Vietnam. Lots of pictures of dead commies and piles of guns and un used ammo. While not a veteran myself I learned a great deal from my Marine brother. His second tour he was Sargent and carried the m79 and a 45 auto. They had some commies firing at them from a house so they brought in a tank and destroyed the house. Spare ammo didn't help the commies and the Marines didn't waste a bunch killing them.

Like I have made clear in my post, it's just opinion on how much ammo you should have. It's based on my age and what I have seen. Too old to pack a lot of ammo and if things turn serious enough to need ammo I wont have much to carry. Not saying the rest of you guys shouldn't stockpile, please do as I might need to borrow some:D.

Well I look back and try to see where any gunfight has gone thousands of rounds and the only one in recent memory was Waco. Useing that as worst case I think fire protection would make for good money spent:D.

Just my opinion and it ain't worth 2 cents but if you stockpile ammo it's going to be ammo stocked for the next guy because a gunfight probably won't last long.

Look at the LA bank robbers,body armour and full autos with a car load of ammo yet the ammo didn't keep them alive and they went down with a car full of it.
If you anticipate SHTF with firefights, it would certainly makes sense (to me at least) to have a residence that is not wood framed.

That aside, I don't know many of us who have experience such SHTF situations, especially long term, where firefights actually happened.

We need to look outside the box of the USA and look at firefights in locales where rule of law has fallen by the wayside. Africa (e.g., Somalia, S. Africa, etc.) has some good examples.

except through short guns ive never been disappointed using ball:cool:
Ball can certainly be lethal in a rifle, but not as lethal, and not as quickly lethal as expanding ammo. I have a lot more FMJ than expanding ammo, simply because it was much less expensive at a time when I didn't have as much money as I do not to spend on ammo. That said, when I do buy ammo now, it is expanding ammo - it serves better for self-defense and hunting.

If you anticipate SHTF with firefights, it would certainly makes sense (to me at least) to have a residence that is not wood framed.

That aside, I don't know many of us who have experience such SHTF situations, especially long term, where firefights actually happened.

We need to look outside the box of the USA and look at firefights in locales where rule of law has fallen by the wayside. Africa (e.g., Somalia, S. Africa, etc.) has some good examples.

I agree it's important to watch how possible enemies fight. Most TV news shows some information but how much is made for TV and just for show? You know the spray and pray they show us isn't really aimed fire that is the most dangerous. Yet you see how the show their training camps teaching close up aimed fire.

So if we have to stockpile what are we expecting to happen that more is always better?

Either bring your lunch, or bring barter material. ;-)

I have a number of neighbors who surely don't have near as much ammo or guns as I do. Even FMJ would be good to have to help arm them.

I make really good home made buttermilk biscuits, add some fried venison back strap and people would give me ammo to have some.:D

I'm siting here trying to think of a scenario where too much ammo on hand is bad?
You can always walk away. Carrying all you can. Right?

But if you need more ammo at any given time. What are you gona do?
You cant buy it cheep whet TSHTF. If at all.

As for having all you need to load up some ammo?
Your not gona load up a 1000 rounds on the run!

I'm siting here trying to think of a scenario where too much ammo on hand is bad?

Well if you leave ammo behind make sure you destroy it so it isn't used on your family down the road.

Common sense says the bad guys will get their ammo and guns from the people they killed somewhere else. All you leave behind if you are forced out will go to the bad guys

No you can't carry it all, but you should set up caches (food, medical, Ammo, etc) in your AO. In whatever situation you prepare for, you won't have a supply sergeant.

Look at Yugoslavia war.
Look at East Timor trouble.
Look at hurricane Katrina.
Look at earthquake in Haiti.
Etc.
Normal life changed in hours for people in the above events, with a different set of needs. SHTF never the same twice, but people still need the basics or get desperately mean when they dont get it.

Seem only one common denominator is the citizen becomes a bushman to survive in these situation fortification seem to draw attention and huge firepower. However I reflect back to the Wolverines and why this was a show, in reality those whom defended in this way often lived longer. Example the French resistance and many many like them.

Common sense says the bad guys will get their ammo and guns from the people they killed somewhere else. All you leave behind if you are forced out will go to the bad guys

So You want to make sure you have all the guns, ammo, food and whatever else you may need to get through any possible disaster.

But don't have an extra gun, bullet or sharp knife that's more than you will use.
Because if you have extra supplies you didn't use. Then somebody may use them against you later?:confused:

Look. If I need to hit the roar right now or be killed, drowned or radiated.
I don't care about what I can't use. And am forced to leave behind.
I want to live!
That's why I bought all this stuff in the first place. :s0140:

And stashes are great. But you still need to pick a certain amount of supplies to keep with you. Should the best option be to stay in place and fight or wate it out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top