JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It does give me one more reason to "need" a suppressor.
Dang I need to get on that
July 1 is when the NFA rules change. If you can get your application in before then, you don't have to do fingerprints and photographs of everyone in your trust.

I decided about a year ago that, rather than buy another gun or two, I bought a can for my G17 (with TLR-1HL) and a can for my BCM lightweight AR-15 (with TLR-1HL). My ears are very important to me and money has to be used for something, right?

I keep an M&P 40 with a light locked up next to the bed. I would love to have a shotgun, but with a young daughter in the house, I don't have a good way to secure it, yet have it readily available, so it's in the safe. I like the M&P because I shoot it well, it slips right into place in my hand and I know I can rely on it. As for hearing protection, I have kept several pairs of electronic muffs next to my bed for a while now - takes a second to put one on (with an extra set for the wife and one I can get to my daughter). Turn those on and I can hear what's going on very well, yet have the protection for my ears if I have to fire a shot inside.

This is what I finally settled on for a home defense handgun. I went back and forth between an AR pistol, a CZ scorpion and this, This suits my need and frees up a hand.
View attachment 288248

I have amazing outdoor lighting, a camera system, and the best security system money can by. If someone still manages to get in I am confident we can stop any threat.

As an aside, after watching the way things were twisted so badly during the Zimmerman trial, I have made sure to keep all my guns vanilla in appearance. If I had to use my weapon to stop a threat, I would not want to have a state's "expert" providing testimony on what punisher grips mean.

Dang, I guess I better take mine off too.

140219_0009ces.jpg

Handgun. Though @Joe13 using a .357 may be a bad idea. Lots O muzz flash that will blind you.

Go shoot yours at dusk sometime and check the blindness.

Handgun. Though @Joe13 using a .357 may be a bad idea. Lots O muzz flash that will blind you.

Go shoot yours at dusk sometime and check the blindness.

I have kinda wondered about that and hadn't come up with a good alternative. I can deal with the boom but have zero experience shooting in the dark.

I do keep the Hornedy Crit Deffense in it because it says it uses a lower flash powder - whatever that translates too.

At the moment, I was just hoping my flashlight will be bright enough to help counteract the flash.

Couple other reasons I went .357mag:

I can one hand shoot the thing very accurately.

It's a revolver so no slide issues or whatever.

It's almost 4 lbs so I can beat someone with it if the first 6 bullets don't do the job.

It's better then the pistol AR I just saw chanbered in 7.62x39 that was throwing 24 inch fireballs out in front of the muzzle lol.:D

I have my carry 9mm in the night stand and there is a 400 lumen fenix on top of the night stand all the time.. my wife also has her carry pistol in her night stand at night also.. I probably should put something alittle bigger in the safe in my bed room, I normally only carry two clips with my carry pistol so thats only 15 rounds at best.. I do have to say..

If you have never shot in the dark at targets.... GO DO IT !!! it will open your eyes on how darn hard it is to hold a flashlight and work a gun with any proficiency at night... seriously..

That being said I had a P226 with crimson trace grips.. those were worth more than a flashlight in the dark honestly.. I was at the range shooting a plate rack at night.. and Ill tell you what.. grip activated laser made my shooting go to a whole nother level at night.. I need to practice quite a bit more at night also.

Oh another thing... Shoot your carry ammo at night... see how much flash it has.. it will make a difference in your night carry ammo.

In my P226 I could use the winchester SXT ammo with no flash and ran flawless, in my P938... whole different story.. runs flawless but it flashes quite a bit in the short barrel.

Yah, your pistol is just there to give you enough time to get to your long gun. Maybe. ;)

I used to have a Glock 19 in the nightstand and a combat 12ga Mossberg 500 (8 shots, short barrel, mounted light, shoots where the light is centered) in the corner. (No kids)

My training in night pistol shooting has me with a stun power flashlight in my off hand. The good thing about it is that you can hold your light out to the side so as not to give the BG a target on your chest.

Nowadays I have replaced the 12ga and Glock with a Judge in the nightstand using Winchester PDX .410 loads. They are gentle and low flash, hit hard, and don't require perfect aim. But because it is a 5 shot revolver, I will have my 10.5" AR pistol on a wall rack near the bed as soon as I finish the build. Will have a light on that. Good way to clear the house or go outside if I need to, or handle multiple attackers with a 30rd mag (or maybe two in tandem). I am indeed worried about the flash tho. Better than no flash tho, hmmmmm? :s0003:

Last Edited:
depends on your flash hider.. I am still surprised at how well a a2 birdcage does on a regular Ar15, i have not had a chance to shoot a ar15 pistol in 556 but i did have one for awhile that was a 300blk out and it had zero flash.. but then i also had the can for it :) haha dont have to worry about flash or blast with that. haha

Wasn't sure if the flash hider was to hide it from the opposition or it if worked both ways. Don't have that experience because I've always had a muzzle brake on my rifle.

Might want to test the new build with the A2 flash hider and then put the muzzle brake on only for 3-gun competition. Thanks for the input!!

Could bring my electronic muffs inside too. Hadn't thought of that.

Mossberg 590A1 close at hand and Taurus PT92 w/3 17 round mags for the wife when I go to investigate. A surefire variable intensity flashlight is on right with the Taurus.
Don't expect to ever need them but that's what they are for, right? ;)

My bed side gun is a glock 35 in .357 sig with light attached and a couple of 22rd mags filled with underwoods ammo's 125gr golddots @1500 fps.
If I get to old to shoot a pistol well enuff I will switch to my AR-15 SBR in 6.8mm with 30rd barrett mags.

Given how hard it would be to make a loud enough bump in the night to wake either me or the missus...

Our home protection consists of a Beretta Cheetah in the nightstand and an air horn placed by each door. The air horns have a note attached that reads...
"I'm hoping you set off the silent alarm but if you really want to meet the homeowner before the cops arrive, please use this horn."

1: A light on a weapon means you always have both together. Flashlights have a tendency to walk away.

2: A handheld light can be used to search, but remember you now only have one hand on your weapon. Be prepared to ditch it and use your weapon light. There is a reason you have a gun out, dont feel bad about pointing it at someone.

3: Using a weapon in self defense is fairly rare, your ears can take it. Don't overthink it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top