JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good points. Made me think.

1. Keep your defense light in or on your nightstand and don't use it for anything else. Keep it charged or with fresh batteries.

2. Train with your handheld light. Overtrain. Train strong hand and weak hand. You need not be disadvantaged, especially when bracing properly with the flashlight hand.

3. Be sure to save enough hearing for when the LEOs tell you t drop the weapon.

Long pistol? Suppressed 300 blackout is my indoor weapon of choice.

20151207_184912.jpg

I keep a .357mag gp100 as my bump in the night gun.

I have a flashlight for the other hand.

I feel like it gives me the ability to guard myself with my flashlight hand and keep my revolver out of the bad guys reach if I'm suprised around a corner.

I feel like a shotgun, or rifle, could be grabbed unless you have a SBS or SBR or bullpup.

I also do not like lights on guns. Because you are pointing your gun at everything you look at, friend or foe.
My go to is my Tavor with a Aimpoint micro T1 and a streamlight trl-1.

I opted for an HK 416 pistol in .22 for my primary. A stinger round produces about 150 ft lbs out of this 9 inch barrel, the same as a Hornady 380 out of a PPK - and it will penetrate deeper because of its smaller impact surface area (5mm vs 9mm). Needless to say a compact yet very accurate solution. A little less loud than larger calibers and the bullets will stay inside my house. Shot several thousands of rounds through it, never had a malfunction of any kind. Backup is a 9mm.

20160415_135623.jpg 20160415_140335.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm curious if anyone has considered using a pistol caliber carbine, such as the Marlin Camp 9 or Camp 45, or the more up-to-date Kel-tec sub 2000 in 9mm or .40 cal? Advantages: much less muzzle flash, much greater accuracy, much greater magazine capacity and far less over penetration than with a center-fired rifle, plus you get a slightly greater punch on the target.

I'm also curious if anyone keeps a pair of Peltors by the bed?

223/556 don't start tumbling as soon as they hit something.
That's an old wives tale
Check out some Vids on you tube. Plenty of them showing the round going thru walls and shot into gelatine. They don't tumble all the time
And if you are shooting a pistol caliber carbine you have increased the penetration capability of the round

member: 31747 said:
I keep an M&P 40 with a light locked up next to the bed. I would love to have a shotgun, but with a young daughter in the house, I don't have a good way to secure it, yet have it readily available, so it's in the safe.
So it isn't readily available, actually.

A person with this setup is MUCH better off with a can of OC or a baseball bat. There's almost no chance on the sun you'll have time to get that in-the-safe stuff deployed. Anything else is wishful thinking, and so useless, to be polite.

member: 38896 said:
1: A light on a weapon means you always have both together. Flashlights have a tendency to walk away.

Well, not if it's in the charger next to the weapon. Its' little flashy-legs are impeded by the charger tube. Otherwise this makes a lot of sense if your house is occupied by lunatics, a.k.a. all children or most women.

I have a Sig STL-900 rail-mounted light. it's adequate for in-house use but terrible for duty use because
1.) only one holster will fit it and I don't like that brand/style (Safariland level III)
2.) bumping the side of the light turns on the laser, and then the battery runs out.
3.) Having the light on the gun might show your adversary where your gun is, and therefore where you probably are, too, even if it weren't for 1 and 2. If you run it right, the light can be tossed for misdirection or just whacking somebody on the bridge of the nose, which is good for some light-hearted moments.

So it isn't readily available, actually.

A person with this setup is MUCH better off with a can of OC or a baseball bat. There's almost no chance on the sun you'll have time to get that in-the-safe stuff deployed. Anything else is wishful thinking, and so useless, to be polite.

I think you misread what I said - I said I don't have a way to secure the shotgun and have it readily available. So no, it's not readily available.

My handgun (actually two), are readily available, very easy access. I was simply lamenting that with a young daughter in the house, I don't have a safe way to keep a shotgun ready to go in the room. I don't have it in my plans to get to my safe because it would put me in a place where it would most likely be where the bad guys would come in.

I think you misread what I said - I said I don't have a way to secure the shotgun and have it readily available. So no, it's not readily available.

My handgun (actually two), are readily available, very easy access. I was simply lamenting that with a young daughter in the house, I don't have a safe way to keep a shotgun ready to go in the room. I don't have it in my plans to get to my safe because it would put me in a place where it would most likely be where the bad guys would come in.
have you looked at shotlok? mechanical lock and wall mounted...

I actually use their AR-15 model in my master closet. You just to make sure to unlock it and get the long arm into service at least once a week for practice. The 5-button design requires a bit of practice to be able to open it efficiently.
ordered that model for my AR pistol... I like to put dual buttons in the combo, that throws most off

have you looked at shotlok? mechanical lock and wall mounted...

I have looked at them - I like the idea, but I'm still not sure if I like it for my situation. One of my issues with it is that the barrel is still open - no protection for the top of if - and while I would expect my daughter to stay away from it, I don't want to have any chance that she could get near the barrel end of a loaded gun - and I would only want it in the room if it were loaded. My other issue is that it doesn't look super secure - I'd be willing to bet a good sharp pull by someone with a little strength could almost bust the gun out of that thing. I've thought about adding a small gun safe to the room at some point, but that's not something that's high on the list at the moment. 2 handguns in the room is pretty good for me at this point. The shotgun may come later.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top