JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you have a doorbell/ring camera installed? They are doorbelling these days. Forewarned is...well, you know.
Yes I do. And a second camera up high that can't be touched if someone blocks the doorbell camera. And a metal bar security door with plexiglass so even if the front door is opened, no one is getting through that thing easily. I do need to dead pick it though (I think that's what it's called, so if someone picks the lock it will deadlock the quickset lock so it can only be opened and reset from the inside). I got lucky it was here when I bought the house, one on the back door also. Wish everyone had the ability to install security doors.

IMG_3670.jpeg

Yes I do. And a second camera up high that can't be touched if someone blocks the doorbell camera. And a metal bar security door with plexiglass so even if the front door is opened, no one is getting through that thing easily. I do need to dead pick it though (I think that's what it's called, so if someone picks the lock it will deadlock the quickset lock so it can only be opened and reset from the inside). I got lucky it was here when I bought the house, one on the back door also. Wish everyone had the ability to install security doors.

View attachment 1773425
Wow if I had to have all that to feel safe in my own home I'd be looking for somewhere else to live....I still leave my doors unlocked and keys in my vehicles

What are your "Mission Requirements" here, Home Defense, or hunting, or just general firearms proficiency? Will a PCC actually do the job, or do you need long shiny pointy boolits to do the job? Remember, Pistol Calibers at Pistol Velocities are a rather poor option, even in a small Carbine length rifle, if your intent is a fighting weapon, then you want something in a "Real" rifle caliber, with 5.56 being the absolute minimum needed to do the job proper!

If your looking for the slickest and easiest running "Long Gun" a Tikka T-3 Bolt action is UNBEATABLE, and can be had in most serious calibers, Savage 10 through 116 series Bolts are also quite slick and shoot very well, but not near as light weight as the Tikka rifles! Then there is the bargain Ruger American series rifles, equal to the Savage rifles, and priced well, a good value for the money!
Goal is home defense last resort, sh!+ got real bad and I have to hand a rifle to my 14yo son who is a typical gamer teen, ie not strong and on the spectrum. (FYI, being on the spectrum alone does not mean a person is not fit to handle guns. I've been teaching him gun safety since he was born and he understands). I'm not anticipating leaving the house but want a long gun because he is not accurate with a pistol right now. He's shot a few times. He handled a Marlin 795 well but has struggled to charge every other gun I have handed him. Unsuppressed, rifle calibers are too much. It's not the recoil, it's the concussion I think. But since he last shot an AR, I now have a suppressor so that might change things. But for now a rifle caliber is out of the question for him unless there is a rifle that has low concussion and is easy for weak handed people to operate.

I want him to have something semi-auto since I don't think he could run a bolt, pump, or lever action fast enough. Despite being good at video games, he has poor dexterity in general. Poor kid is right handed and left eye dominant, but has used iron sights surprisingly well. He just doesn't know how to use the strength that he does have. I need to get him into some marshal arts.

Basically, I'm trying to overcome his weaknesses with technology until he can improve. Like, what is the rifle equivalent to the Shield EZ?! 😝

Wow if I had to have all that to feel safe in my own home I'd be looking for somewhere else to live....I still leave my doors unlocked and keys in my vehicles
Welcome to most of the USA. Most of the world there are not safe places to live. Moving is often not an option, it's costly to move and can be very stressful for many reasons. Also, I would rather defend my home than run away. I could be in the safest place in the universe and I would still lock my doors and carry a gun. I like being over prepared. Thats not a bad thing. Being prepared is not the same as feeling unsafe.

I grew up in the East Bay (San Francisco) and live in Portland. So ya, I've had neighbors have their houses broken into and cars stolen. So I am a bit paranoid, I admit that. But bad stuff happens everywhere.

Glad I moved. Not glad I moved here. It was diffident a few years ago and I didn't realize how it was going down hill until it was too late. But I want to stay and fight this BS.

I also don't believe you would move. People are quick to say "just move" but moving sucks, especially when you have a family. Hypothetically, if the town you live in suddenly went down hill and crime spiked, would you just move? IMO, It's not that simple.

There is a probability there will be a day when you find someone in your house you don't know and they will likely have bad intentions, (unless you have a dog, that's a good way to go). Not going to happen to me. Not trying to be disrespectful.

Sorry to go all crazy at length but it drives me crazy when the "just move" crowed starts up. Moving sucks. Moving is difficult. Leaving family and friends is difficult. Finding a place you will like is very difficult. Not to mention the cost. Again, moving sucks!

But I lock my doors for the same reason I wear a seat belt and the same reason I carry a gun? Do you carry?

Welcome to most of the USA. Most of the world there are not safe places to live. Moving is often not an option, it's costly to move and can be very stressful for ma ny reasons. Also, I would rather defend my home than run away. I could be in the safest place in the universe and I would still lock my doors and carry a gun. I like being over prepared. Thats not a bad thing. Being prepared is not the same as feeling unsafe.

I grew up in the East Bay (San Francisco) and live in Portland. So ya, I've had neighbors have their houses broken into and cars stolen. So I am a bit paranoid, I admit that. But bad stuff happens everywhere.

Glad I moved. Not glad I moved here. It was diffident a few years ago and I didn't realize how it was going down hill until it was too late. But I want to stay and fight this BS.

I also don't believe you would move. People are quick to say "just move" but moving sucks, especially when you have a family. Hypothetically, if the town you live in suddenly went down hill and crime spiked, would you just move? IMO, It's not that simple.

There is a probability there will be a day when you find someone in your house you don't know and they will likely have bad intentions, (unless you have a dog, that's a go⁸od way to go). Not going to happen to me. Not trying to be disrespectful.

Sorry to go all crazy at length but it drives me crazy when the "just move" crowed starts up. Moving sucks. Moving is difficult. Leaving family and friends is difficult. Finding a place you will like is very difficult. Not to mention the cost. Again, moving sucks!

But I lock my doors for the same reason I wear a seat belt and the same reason I carry a gun? Do you carry?
I absolutely carry everyday from the time I get up until I go to bed. I do have 3 dogs in the house that are pretty protective. I did live in town in 2007 and get fed up with the bs....I moved up in the woods off a dead end rd off a dead end road to a 10 acer little plot that backs up to blm. It was just a better place to raise my kids, I'm all about being very prepared I get that.

The 10/22 should not be overlooked. I certainly wouldn't feel bad if that was my only option, though admittedly I'd prefer to have more power per round

Simple answer…belt fed on a tripod. (This is my answer to most problems). Outstanding home defense, don't really have to worry about reloading and simply two pulls of charge handle you're rolling in brass 🤣🤣

Goal is home defense last resort, sh!+ got real bad and I have to hand a rifle to my 14yo son who is a typical gamer teen, ie not strong and on the spectrum. (FYI, being on the spectrum alone does not mean a person is not fit to handle guns. I've been teaching him gun safety since he was born and he understands). I'm not anticipating leaving the house but want a long gun because he is not accurate with a pistol right now. He's shot a few times. He handled a Marlin 795 well but has struggled to charge every other gun I have handed him. Unsuppressed, rifle calibers are too much. It's not the recoil, it's the concussion I think. But since he last shot an AR, I now have a suppressor so that might change things. But for now a rifle caliber is out of the question for him unless there is a rifle that has low concussion and is easy for weak handed people to operate.

I want him to have something semi-auto since I don't think he could run a bolt, pump, or lever action fast enough. Despite being good at video games, he has poor dexterity in general. Poor kid is right handed and left eye dominant, but has used iron sights surprisingly well. He just doesn't know how to use the strength that he does have. I need to get him into some marshal arts.

Basically, I'm trying to overcome his weaknesses with technology until he can improve. Like, what is the rifle equivalent to the Shield EZ?! 😝
You're the parent and have a much better awareness of your family's personal situation than I do, so take this feedback with a grain of salt.

To me "home defense training" is a lot of emotional weight and personal responsibility to be putting on a 14 year old kid's shoulders. Practicing a skill with the knowledge that you may potentially have to use it to end another person's life (even if it's in order to save your own) can take a major toll on a person psychologically, particularly if they are still developing. So, in my mind that's something best approached carefully.

Is this something he has been asking to be involved in, or has he been resistant or ambivalent to the idea? If resistant or ambivalent, I would dial back on the "home defense" aspect of shooting and focus on some of the more positive elements like marksmanship and sportsmanship. That will still help him build core firearm skills that he can fall back on in case of emergency, but reduce the mental and emotional load that comes with preparing to fight for your life.

On the flip side, if he's unusually enthusiastic about defensive training, I would be on the lookout for signs that might be concerning - depression, being bullied at school, emotional outbursts with a component of physical violence, obsession with death, etc. It's not a pleasant thing to contemplate but we have to be on the ball when considering giving another person access to firearms.

For firearm selection I would lean towards a 10/22 (22lr), CMR30 (.22wmr), or PS90 (5.7x28mm). All have very low recoil, are easy for people of all ages and strengths to operate, and can serve adequately in a defensive capacity. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Are there any long guns that are easy to operate for people with weak hands? Easy to charge, easy to remove mags, easy to close the bolt, etc.

The goal is to be able to hand my wife and my older son a long gun in the event we need to defend our home (it's unlikely but still), but both are weak handed.

My wife struggles to charge an AR so she chose a 20 gauge 590 and handles it fine.

My son on the other hand, he isn't comfortable with a shotgun and can't charge an AR15 even with an extended latch, my CZ Scorpion, or my AK.

I think a PCC would be better that a rifle caliber. I was wondering how easy it is to operate a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm. I've never handled an AR9, are those easier to charge than an AR15? I'm guessing they probably are. Open to other suggestions.

And yes, I'm sure some of the issue is technique and he does need more training, but if I can get him a rifle he can use well, something he doesn't struggle with, he will be more confident learning. Let's not go down that rabbit hole, different subject.
SP5 with hollow point rounds

IMG_9885.jpeg

My son on the other hand, he isn't comfortable with a shotgun
I'm curious as to why this might be so. Particularly since shotguns with bore sizes smaller than 12 ga. can make good defensive firearms.

I agree, up to the point of extremes. Like moving out of downtown Baltimore, Philly, DC, Detroit, St. Louis, etc., in the 1960's where people just got swamped. I don't see that happening where I live. At least not in my lifetime.

Welcome to most of the USA. Most of the world there are not safe places to live. Moving is often not an option, it's costly to move and can be very stressful for many reasons. Also, I would rather defend my home than run away. I could be in the safest place in the universe and I would still lock my doors and carry a gun. I like being over prepared. Thats not a bad thing. Being prepared is not the same as feeling unsafe.

There is a probability there will be a day when you find someone in your house you don't know and they will likely have bad intentions, (unless you have a dog, that's a good way to go). Not going to happen to me. Not trying to be disrespectful.

Don't get offended by my post, I am an old man that has his opinions.

Gets down to choices I guess, if you can't move then either spend some money training your family or ...

What is the average cost of a funeral service in Portland? According to online price surveys (2022), the average traditional funeral service costs $6,452 for an adult funeral in Oregon, which is slightly below the national average. This is based on the most commonly selected items for a traditional funeral, including a casket and vault.

Looks like you are limited to a PCC which is unfortunate because any woman who has the will to survive can be trained with an AR15.

View attachment 1773425

IMG_9886.jpeg

You're the parent and have a much better awareness of your family's personal situation than I do, so take this feedback with a grain of salt.

To me "home defense training" is a lot of emotional weight and personal responsibility to be putting on a 14 year old kid's shoulders. Practicing a skill with the knowledge that you may potentially have to use it to end another person's life (even if it's in order to save your own) can take a major toll on a person psychologically, particularly if they are still developing. So, in my mind that's something best approached carefully.

Is this something he has been asking to be involved in, or has he been resistant or ambivalent to the idea? If resistant or ambivalent, I would dial back on the "home defense" aspect of shooting and focus on some of the more positive elements like marksmanship and sportsmanship. That will still help him build core firearm skills that he can fall back on in case of emergency, but reduce the mental and emotional load that comes with preparing to fight for your life.

On the flip side, if he's unusually enthusiastic about defensive training, I would be on the lookout for signs that might be concerning - depression, being bullied at school, emotional outbursts with a component of physical violence, obsession with death, etc. It's not a pleasant thing to contemplate but we have to be on the ball when considering giving another person access to firearms.

For firearm selection I would lean towards a 10/22 (22lr), CMR30 (.22wmr), or PS90 (5.7x28mm). All have very low recoil, are easy for people of all ages and strengths to operate, and can serve adequately in a defensive capacity. Hope this helps, and best of luck!
This. All of this. This is the only correct answer so far, since I haven't seen anyone telling your kid to lift heavy things and set them back down.

You can charge an AR with your index finger and thumb…. It's not getting much easier than that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top