JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are there any long guns that are easy to operate for people with weak hands? Easy to charge, easy to remove mags, easy to close the bolt, etc.

The goal is to be able to hand my wife and my older son a long gun in the event we need to defend our home (it's unlikely but still), but both are weak handed.

My wife struggles to charge an AR so she chose a 20 gauge 590 and handles it fine.

My son on the other hand, he isn't comfortable with a shotgun and can't charge an AR15 even with an extended latch, my CZ Scorpion, or my AK.

I think a PCC would be better that a rifle caliber. I was wondering how easy it is to operate a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm. I've never handled an AR9, are those easier to charge than an AR15? I'm guessing they probably are. Open to other suggestions.

And yes, I'm sure some of the issue is technique and he does need more training, but if I can get him a rifle he can use well, something he doesn't struggle with, he will be more confident learning. Let's not go down that rabbit hole, different subject.

Are there any long guns that are easy to operate for people with weak hands? Easy to charge, easy to remove mags, easy to close the bolt, etc.

The goal is to be able to hand my wife and my older son a long gun in the event we need to defend our home (it's unlikely but still), but both are weak handed.

My wife struggles to charge an AR so she chose a 20 gauge 590 and handles it fine.

My son on the other hand, he isn't comfortable with a shotgun and can't charge an AR15 even with an extended latch, my CZ Scorpion, or my AK.

I think a PCC would be better that a rifle caliber. I was wondering how easy it is to operate a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm. I've never handled an AR9, are those easier to charge than an AR15? I'm guessing they probably are. Open to other suggestions.

And yes, I'm sure some of the issue is technique and he does need more training, but if I can get him a rifle he can use well, something he doesn't struggle with, he will be more confident learning. Let's not go down that rabbit hole, different subject.
Do you have a doorbell/ring camera installed? They are doorbelling these days. Forewarned is...well, you know.

What are your "Mission Requirements" here, Home Defense, or hunting, or just general firearms proficiency? Will a PCC actually do the job, or do you need long shiny pointy boolits to do the job? Remember, Pistol Calibers at Pistol Velocities are a rather poor option, even in a small Carbine length rifle, if your intent is a fighting weapon, then you want something in a "Real" rifle caliber, with 5.56 being the absolute minimum needed to do the job proper!

If your looking for the slickest and easiest running "Long Gun" a Tikka T-3 Bolt action is UNBEATABLE, and can be had in most serious calibers, Savage 10 through 116 series Bolts are also quite slick and shoot very well, but not near as light weight as the Tikka rifles! Then there is the bargain Ruger American series rifles, equal to the Savage rifles, and priced well, a good value for the money!

When you say "weak hands" do you mean strength or just being a lefty?

If this is a strength issue I am not sure a PCC will solve the problem considering they have an issue charging an AR-15. I am not a big PCC guy, but all the ones I have used all had comparable charging characteristics to intermediate cartridge rifles like your stock standard AR-15.

I think at that point your best bet would be a .22 magnum carbine or something similar. Basically you want the biggest cartridge you can get with the weakest springs available. Rimfire rounds are probably the only real option, but a lot of them have somewhat tiny charging handle. That may defeat the point of even the weaker charging action. Kel-Tec has their CMR30 which might be worth a look. They even have a few after market charging handles available if the stock unit is too small.

You may be able to find a PCC that uses mass more than spring pressure to function. Hi-Point carbines are widely regarded as some of the heaviest bolt PCC carbines out there, so I would imagine they would have comparatively weaker springs because of it. Do be aware that this high reciprocating mass may have other negative consequences for people who are small/recoil shy.

Over all I am struggling to think of options that have an easier manual of arms than the AR-15. I always think of that platform as the low bar, at least once you move past rimfire long guns.

Bring them to a gun store and ask to fondle some of the smaller cartridge firearms on offer. That really is the only way to be sure.

Maybe a lever action in handgun or rifle caliber? Can be a bit tricky to load through the side gate, but if this is a problem look at a Henry that has a tube mag like a 22. Pretty easy to work a lever, and pretty easy to fire for the family members you identify I would assume, if you wife is comfortable with a pump shotgun. With the chamber empty and rounds in the magazine, work the lever, it is ready to go. Or a bolt action with a magazine that can easily be inserted and rack the bolt.

All the females in my family greatly prefer a Gibbz arms side charger on there AR. Not only is it more ergonomic location, but it seems easier to pull back. Another option is a light weight bolt carrier so you can run a lighter recoil spring. Cool thing about gibbz is the only unique part (beside the upper) is there cam pin any bolt/bcg works.

All the females in my family greatly prefer a Gibbz arms side charger on there AR. Not only is it more ergonomic location, but it seems easier to pull back. Another option is a light weight bolt carrier so you can run a lighter recoil spring. Cool thing about gibbz is the only unique part (beside the upper) is there cam pin any bolt/bcg works.
The Bearcreak ones work great as well.

Ithaca Model 37 shotgun.
12 or 20 gauge
Easiest pump shotgun to load.
Look into the used market.

Some people find guns with charging handles farther from the breech face harder to manipulate than ones with the charging handle attached to the bolt or immediately adjacent to the breech because it requires a little more leverage to move the bolt mass against the recoil spring, and there is friction over more surface area, which creates additional drag. It's slight, but it's a thing that newer shooters may be sensitive to.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top