JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So let's pretend a guy has a dedicated AR pistol in 22lr. This pistol has a 7" barrel and is requesting to be suppressed. This pistol would also like to identify as a rifle.

Sooooo...

1. Is there a 9 inch suppressor that could be welded onto the barrel to get to 16"?

Can't seem to find a "long" suppressor for 22lr that isn't an "erector set" style.

2. Is there an integrally suppressed 16" overall length barrel that will work in an AR platform?

I've seen the integrally suppressed 10/22 barrels, but can't seem to find anything for AR.

3. Should I get a 16" AR 22lr barrel blank and make my own integrally suppressed barrel?

I think this would be a fun project, but would prefer to be able to get something "off the shelf" so to speak.

Let's hear those hypothetical solutions...

Might reach out to Gemtech and see if they're willing to sell the Integra 15-22 barrel by itself. Then again MSRP isn't too crazy high, might be easiest just to buy the complete upper. Then you can always swap back to pistol mode.

I stand corrected, the Internet says the M&P 15-22 upper cannot just be dropped onto a standard AR lower. Also looks like the barrel configuration might be proprietary as well. I'd give Gemtech a call and see if they might do something similar that can fit a standard AR upper.

I stand corrected, the Internet says the M&P 15-22 upper cannot just be dropped onto a standard AR lower. Also looks like the barrel configuration might be proprietary as well. I'd give Gemtech a call and see if they might do something similar that can fit a standard AR upper.
Yep, one of the reasons I never got a 15-22.

Definitely worth a call to Gemtech if no other options are available.

Do a search. See if you can find one of the same brand 16" uppers. You could send it to a gunsmith to have it cut down and and threaded.
Yeah, been considering that route as well. Viable option for sure.

At that point, probably just do a 10.5 and weld on a 6" suppressor.

So let's pretend a guy has a dedicated AR pistol in 22lr. This pistol has a 7" barrel and is requesting to be suppressed. This pistol would also like to identify as a rifle.

Sooooo...

1. Is there a 9 inch suppressor that could be welded onto the barrel to get to 16"?

Can't seem to find a "long" suppressor for 22lr that isn't an "erector set" style.

2. Is there an integrally suppressed 16" overall length barrel that will work in an AR platform?

I've seen the integrally suppressed 10/22 barrels, but can't seem to find anything for AR.

3. Should I get a 16" AR 22lr barrel blank and make my own integrally suppressed barrel?

I think this would be a fun project, but would prefer to be able to get something "off the shelf" so to speak.

Let's hear those hypothetical solutions...
I would put a 16" barrel on it if he wants a 16" barrel. Then put a suppressor on it. Then suppressor can be used on multiple .22s unlike an integrally suppressed barrel.

Every .22 I buy has to have a threaded barrel and the suppressor makes it onto all of them at one time or another. One stamp on one inexpensive suppressor is all you need for all the threaded barrel .22s whether pistols, sub gun clones, or rifles. Makes them all more fun.

Last Edited:
Yep, one of the reasons I never got a 15-22.

Definitely worth a call to Gemtech if no other options are available.
I would hold a 15-22 in your hands (if you haven't yet) before ever getting one. It's like a plastic nerf gun. But it's reliable and mine has a binary trigger which is the only reason I keep it. Buying a stamp for one gun for a suppressor makes no sense to me personally when you can buy one stamp for the suppressor and use it on 5,10, 30 different .22s how ever many you have. Sparrow suppressor is $160 right now +$200 = $360 cost for ALL your .22s. Integrally suppressed barrel = massive cost plus stamp for only ONE gun. With the money saved could easily buy another 8" gun like the mp5 or hk 416 pistol or etc. in addition to the rifle.

I would put a 16" barrel on it if he wants a 16" barrel. Then put a suppressor on it. Then suppressor can be used on multiple .22s unlike an integrally suppressed barrel.

Every .22 I buy has to have a threaded barrel and the suppressor makes it onto all of them at one time or another. One stamp on one inexpensive suppressor is all you need for all the threaded barrel .22s whether pistols, sub gun clones, or rifles. Makes them all more fun.
I don't disagree in the slightest. However, the goal here is 16 overall with the suppressor welded for a legal rifle length with a stock and only one stamp. Willing to "sacrifice" the multi-weapon suppressor option in this instance.

I don't disagree in the slightest. However, the goal here is 16 overall with the suppressor welded for a legal rifle length with a stock and only one stamp. Willing to "sacrifice" the multi-weapon suppressor option in this instance.
Why not a 16" barrel? You could probably leave the gun as is even and buy a hole tippman, hk 416 or 15-22 AR style rifle and suppressor for same cost as money wasted on welded suppressor that can only be used on that one gun.

Keep in mind that the 22LR can will need to be cleaned, unlike a 5.56 can. If you have the tube welded to the barrel you'd need to ensure the baffles can be removed through the front cap.

I would hold a 15-22 in your hands (if you haven't yet) before ever getting one. It's like a plastic nerf gun. But it's reliable and mine has a binary trigger which is the only reason I keep it. Buying a stamp for one gun for a suppressor makes no sense to me personally when you can buy one stamp for the suppressor and use it on 5,10, 30 different .22s how ever many you have. Sparrow suppressor is $160 right now +$200 = $360 cost for ALL your .22s. Integrally suppressed barrel = massive cost plus stamp for only ONE gun. With the money saved could easily buy another 8" gun like the mp5 or hk 416 pistol or etc. in addition to the rifle.
Your logic is logical and appreciated. This whole situation may end up different than originally posted, but we'll see...

Why not a 16" barrel? You could probably leave the gun as is even and buy a hole tippman, hk 416 or 15-22 AR style rifle and suppressor for same cost as money wasted on welded suppressor that can only be used on that one gun.
This setup would be purpose specific and as such length is critical. 16 plus suppressor length starts to get goofy.

A non-dedicated suppressor for making the rounds on other 22s is already satisfied. So one that is dedicated in this situation is okie dokie.

This setup would be purpose specific and as such length is critical. 16 plus suppressor length starts to get goofy.

A non-dedicated suppressor for making the rounds on other 22s is already satisfied. So one that is dedicated in this situation is okie dokie.
Ah I'm following you now. Thanks! I have never understood the desire to lengthen a barrel with zero improvement in velocity when a longer real barrel gives the velocity benefits.

I would go with 9" barrel plus regular suppressor and use a brace instead of a stock. But maybe he has some specific stock he must use or whatever I don't know. It's easy to add a 1913 stock onto pretty much any ar type pistol (or anything else for that matter).

Ah I'm following you now. Thanks! I have never understood the desire to lengthen a barrel with zero improvement in velocity when a longer real barrel gives the velocity benefits.

I would go with 9" barrel plus regular suppressor and use a brace instead of a stock. But maybe he has some specific stock he must use or whatever I don't know. It's easy to add a 1913 stock onto pretty much any ar type pistol (or anything else for that matter).
All good. Like I said, I appreciate the logical and practical input you've given and it hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

Normally giving up necessary velocity would be a no go, but in this case it's acceptable.

Yeah, stock or brace doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews