JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I keep a .357mag gp100 as my bump in the night gun.

I have a flashlight for the other hand.

I feel like it gives me the ability to guard myself with my flashlight hand and keep my revolver out of the bad guys reach if I'm suprised around a corner.

I feel like a shotgun, or rifle, could be grabbed unless you have a SBS or SBR or bullpup.

I also do not like lights on guns. Because you are pointing your gun at everything you look at, friend or foe.

There is some personal preference and I'm not sure there is a right answer. It kind of depends on the layout of the home and the property. One thing nice about a shotgun or rifle with a single point sling is it helps you retain the weapon. They are easy to grab on to, but if you have a sling and you let go, you might get them tunnel visioned enough on the gun to give you time to progress to another weapon or technique.

The pistol is great for maneuverability sake. Its easier to pie tight corners with a pistol and maintain concealment. If you have acreage, I'm not sure its the best choice because space makes me want a more potent weapon.

I have really gone full tilt on weapon lights. My house pistols use TLR1s because I dont need the raw brightness and it cuts down on how the light effects me. On my carry pistol that leaves with me out the house, I use a TLR1hl which gives me more beam for when I'm outside.

After witnessing first hand what happens to my ears when I fire even a 9mm indoors without ear protection, there is no way I could go with a rifle or shotgun. Just speaking for myself, I would probably be stunned and ineffective after the first shot. I agree with your light comments, but still prefer a weapon mounted light. One less thing to grab during a "Oh ****, what was that.." moment.

After witnessing first hand what happens to my ears when I fire even a 9mm indoors without ear protection, there is no way I could go with a rifle or shotgun. Just speaking for myself, I would probably be stunned and ineffective after the first shot. I agree with your light comments, but still prefer a weapon mounted light. One less thing to grab during a "Oh ****, what was that.." moment.

Adrinaline will probably make you deaf to the noise unless you have a muzzle break on it, but noise is a concern of mine as well.

There is some personal preference and I'm not sure there is a right answer. It kind of depends on the layout of the home and the property. One thing nice about a shotgun or rifle with a single point sling is it helps you retain the weapon. They are easy to grab on to, but if you have a sling and you let go, you might get them tunnel visioned enough on the gun to give you time to progress to another weapon or technique.

The pistol is great for maneuverability sake. Its easier to pie tight corners with a pistol and maintain concealment. If you have acreage, I'm not sure its the best choice because space makes me want a more potent weapon.

I have really gone full tilt on weapon lights. My house pistols use TLR1s because I dont need the raw brightness and it cuts down on how the light effects me. On my carry pistol that leaves with me out the house, I use a TLR1hl which gives me more beam for when I'm outside.

If I had property then I would most likely have a rifle.

I was in tunnel vision of living in the suburbs.

I also do not like lights on guns. Because you are pointing your gun at everything you look at, friend or foe.
same here. Last I read about it you still need a light in your weak hand to search with so your not sweeping friendlies. Didn't make sense to me to add another light, and reprogram my training.

Mine is now my suppressed Ruger 22/45 with a Crimson Trace laser on it and a 5.11 Light For Life 200 Lumen flashlight.

Prior was a Glock G21 with Sig mounted light; I decided 10 on-target quiet rounds in the head would gentle out most folks enough so we could talk about the wisdom of breaking in here.

PS I don't have any friendlies other than my cat, so if you're under 1 foot tall you're gonna be OK.

My EDC 1911 is my things go bump in the night gun, replete with laser grips (specifically for that 3:00 am disturbance)... Penguin case under the bed with an additional 10 mags ready to go should the unthinkable occur...

And a 960 lumen Fenix resides on the nightstand, to be used by the weak hand. Blind 'em and disorient 'em so they're more easily subdued...

if I had a need for something more powerful, I'd go AR-15... In my situation, the 1911 is more than sufficient...

I keep a G34 with a TLR1 HL and a G18 mag with a couple G17 mags close by as well.
The noise does worry me, but if my life and my families lives are at risk i'll blow my ear drums before I stop firing.

For my house a pistol with a mounted light is best, IMO. I have options and have switched from 40 cal to 45, mainly due to noise concerns. Is it any quieter?

I've ruled out the 12ga shotgun because at 3am (just waking me up will make me want to kill something ) I think it could be a handful. As far as the pistol, I would hopefully know where everyone is supposed to be before confronting the threat. Pointing a gun at a family member shouldn't be a problem.

M1 Carbine. I like the way it handles, hits hard, and displaces lots of flesh. Low recoil, aims easily and kicks bootie! On the other hand, my Glock 20 romps, stomps and smashes hard!

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

They work for me!

This is what I finally settled on for a home defense handgun. I went back and forth between an AR pistol, a CZ scorpion and this, This suits my need and frees up a hand.
20160221_204443.jpg

For me its my Series 70 Government Model in .45 acp.
Other than the checked walnut grips it is bone stock.
It is the first pistol I shot and I shoot it well.
That being stated I have on layaway a Remington 870 "ladies / youth" model in .20 gauge.
I like how the gun pointed for me and think it might be a good grouse gun that could also serve for those "Bumps in the Night".

During hunting season I guess I could use one of my muzzleloaders ... I would ask nicely if there were multiple intruders to all stand in line , as my shot would need to make several copies ... LOL
Andy

On the nightstand is what I'm carrying, .45 or 9mm. In the closet is a 12ga riot gun loaded with 3"magnum #4 buck, in a ShotLock. Flashlight in off hand.
I have been going back and forth on the idea of using my M-4 with frangible bullets.
And, I know, no guarantees on penetration and instant stopping! I'll shoot till he stops and I learned "Quick Kill" in the Army. I'm good at it.

On the nightstand is what I'm carrying, .45 or 9mm. In the closet is a 12ga riot gun loaded with 3"magnum #4 buck, in a ShotLock. Flashlight in off hand.
I have been going back and forth on the idea of using my M-4 with frangible bullets.
And, I know, no guarantees on penetration and instant stopping! I'll shoot till he stops and I learned "Quick Kill" in the Army. I'm good at it.

I'd put frangible ammo in my bolt rifle and have a box of 50 for it but it was told to me that the bullet needs to hit something harder then the material it was made with to break up. Considering it's going thru drywall and plywood I opted to not use them or my rifle (it is a .308) because of the closeness of houses in my area. (I have no first hand experience with those rounds though so I could be way off base).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top