JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Define "fight distance". People dont get to pick when, where, and at what distance your possible engagement will be at. And yes, the shooter's ability to master their firearm is the number one factor. And its a lot easier to learn to shoot many other guns proficiently than it is a J-frame or similar. Thats great that one might be able to pull the trigger on a revolver as fast as they can on an auto. However, the overwhelming majority of people simply will not be able to make accurate hits and get back on target as quickly with a J-frame as they can with other guns. You cannot use wold record holding competetion shooters as a comparison to inexperienced shooters when defending your suggestion of a 2 inch revolver. If a person is going to train extensively enough so that they can shoot a 2" revolver as accurately as similarly sized auto and reload as fast as most others can do mag changes, then once again, they should be able to figure out how you operate a semi auto.

I understand the point is ease of operation, but Im tired of seeing 100 replies of "2 inch snubbie" everytime someone asks what kind of gun they should get their female significant other. I dont feel that most people will perform better in "high stress situations" with a 2" revolver than they would with a similarly sized auto. This is due to the fact that 99% of J-frame type guns offer less accuracy, less control, smaller capacity, a worse grip, slower follow-up shots, and almost non-existent sights when compared to a similar sized semi auto. Add on top of that that most 2" snubs arent fun to shoot, and you get an inexperienced shooter with a gun that's no fun to practice with.

If you still look at the facts that I posted and argue that all inexperienced shooters are better served by a 2" inch revolver, then I submit to you, for clearly, you cannot be reasoned with.

I had always assumed my wife would lean towards a smaller caliber but actually does OK with my .40 Glock. She's also tried the .9mm and .40 XDs but prefers the 9mm overall. I also thought she might prefer the relative simplicity of a revolver but she wants nothing to do with them (looks). My point is, I don't know my wife at all! :s0092: :s0112: Actually, it is to try whatever you can get your hands on. I may want to think about not letting her shoot the 1911 I want to get soon. She may fall in love with the .45... :s0018:

Haha, yeah... I'll admit that being a woman can have it's physical limitations or disadvantages at times, but you'd be surprised what some of us can handle or what we prefer. Not all men are bodybuilders and not all women are weaklings or princesses haha. Better watch yourself Strike45. Your wife just might steal your big boy toys hehe. :p

My wife is still in the selection process, she has tried a S&W 442 and 317, several pocket 22 autos, a derringer and now has a keltec P32. She has lost a lot of hand strength and does not like recoil or muzzle blast. Her favorite gun to shoot is a S&W 422 (6" target auto). When she finds some thing she likes better the Keltec will be replaces.The short answer is you can not pick a gun for her, she will have to do that herself.

The short answer is you can not pick a gun for her, she will have to do that herself.

+1 on that. My wife doesnt have a pemit (yet) but does have a .38 snub that fits her hand and is comfortable shooting. I dont think anyone on this board would let their wife pick their next handgun, so why would it be any different in reverse. The best thing to do is see what type (rev./semi.)they are comfortable with,then take them shopping. Hey at least its better to be shopping for guns with the wife versus going to the mall.

I dont think anyone on this board would let their wife pick their next handgun, so why would it be any different in reverse. The best thing to do is see what type (rev./semi.)they are comfortable with,then take them shopping. Hey at least its better to be shopping for guns with the wife versus going to the mall.

I more or less meant, what would you suggest if your wife or girlfriend asked what gun might suit her preferences and capabilities. Not so much what you would buy for a person who hasn't educated themselves yet, and may not even want to own or carry a gun. I have no intention of purchasing a firearm for anyone other than myself, or having anyone else purchase one for me.

I'm a woman and I'm merely curious to know what everyone here would feel comfortable recommending to their wives and girlfriends for their own personal defense.

I more or less meant, what would you suggest if your wife or girlfriend asked what gun might suit her preferences and capabilities. Not so much what you would buy for a person who hasn't educated themselves yet, and may not even want to own or carry a gun. I have no intention of purchasing a firearm for anyone other than myself, or having anyone else purchase one for me.

I'm a woman and I'm merely curious to know what everyone here would feel comfortable recommending to their wives and girlfriends for their own personal defense.

If it was a purchase for a new to guns type= .38 with 3-4" barell less recoil to discourage practice but still easily handled.

If they already are into shooting and know all types of guns= Kimber Ultra carry or similar sized .45.

I understand the point is ease of operation, but Im tired of seeing 100 replies of "2 inch snubbie" everytime someone asks what kind of gun they should get their female significant other.

If you still look at the facts that I posted and argue that all inexperienced shooters are better served by a 2" inch revolver, then I submit to you, for clearly, you cannot be reasoned with.

Chill out. Someone asked an opinion. If you didn't like their opinion, cool. I respect your opinions, and understand that we may not see "eye to eye". So?
You state some valid points that the OP should take into consideration but the last statement you made is both harsh and uncalled for.

I titled my post with the question about the use of the gun and then assumed it was a gun to be carried often. If it's not a gun meant to be carried concealed, then my post is off base.

My wife has a very nice Colt .380 that was her grandfather's. Cool gun to shoot. But she didn't like the "complexity" of the operation of loading, racking the slide, how to make the gun safe again after shooting some rounds from the mag, etc. When I pointed out a DAO Smith and explained the "simplicity" of this type of revolver, she bought the gun for herself. She shoots it equally as well as the .380 and is more comfortable with it.
My ex-wife didn't like the slide of a semi auto coming back at her. She preferred the S&W Model 65 I had at the time, because all she had to do was pull the trigger.

This is why I made the recommendation I did.

However, when the daughter wanted a small handgun for her 21st birthday she stated that she did not want a revolver. She thinks a revolver is ugly and wanted a gun that took "clips". She wanted a small semi auto and........................................... (drumroll please)

she wanted it PINK!

Bought her the Taurus TCP. Nice little gun. She loves it. Shoots it well and because it's DAO, too, it's "safe" when you take your finger off of the trigger.

However, the amount of strength it takes to rack the slide is not an insignificant issue. It's very difficult for her to do. Blowback autos are just that way. Many people, both men and women lack the hand strength to do this easily. Since I don't know the OP this figures highly in my recommendation

I agree with the other posters advice of having the soon to be gun owner be the one that makes the final decision. That person needs to be able to operate and be comfortable with the firearm they are going to use.

Bunny, Buying a new gun is always very fun for me. I hope that you take the opportunity to head to one of the local ranges that rents guns and give several of them a try. Then, let us know what YOU picked.

Many people, both men and women lack the hand strength to do this easily. Since I don't know the OP this figures highly in my recommendation.

I agree with the other posters advice of having the soon to be gun owner be the one that makes the final decision. That person needs to be able to operate and be comfortable with the firearm they are going to use.

Bunny, Buying a new gun is always very fun for me. I hope that you take the opportunity to head to one of the local ranges that rents guns and give several of them a try. Then, let us know what YOU picked.

I think your suggestion (along with the others) is a valid one. I know that most (if not all) of my female friends have or would struggle with a slide at some point, depending on the gun. I have before, but luckily not enough to limit what I want too much. At least, I hope not haha.

Like I said in a post above, I was just curious about general gun recommendations for women, of no particular physical strength or capability. Just your average woman, with average defense needs. And what someone with a better knowledge of firearms would recommend for her.

A more personal look at what I'm looking for can be found here if anyone's curious.

After checking out your other post I have a better idea of what you want. Unfortunately I'm not a 9mm kind of guy and don't have any real experience with these guns to give any further advice about which one to pick. But since you aren't looking at a baby sized gun, you most likely will be looking at a locked breach type of hand gun. Typically the slide on that type of gun is easier to manipulate than the one on a blowback auto.

If I was looking for a gun similar to what you are asking about, I'd be inclined to check out either the Springfield XD or the Ruger SR9. I'm sure you're going to hear a lot of people suggest a Glock, and there's plenty of good reasons they will do so.

One choice for me. Revolver, double action only, bobbed hammer or hammerless, 38/357, stainless, 2 inch barrel.
Why:
The double action only revolver is point and shoot. No safety, buttons, or other controls to get in the way in a stress filled moment. Bobbed hammer/hammerless to be snag free. Stainless to be less prone to wear in a purse and to be in plain view when in hand. Two inch barrel to be compact to carry. Several models are made to be very light in weight.

+1
It's the best gun for the "dumb guy" or girl in this matter. I'm not saying that girls are ignorant in firearms by any means, but the majority have a lot less experience. It's an easy gun and doesn't require a lot of training. Even though you should anyways.
This goes the same for a guy. I have a brother in law that I wouldn't trust looking at my gun. So when he asked me about firearms I told him to get a revolver...Period.

Must be nice to have a wife/gf thats into guns and would actually want to own/carry one, my wife is so anti gun i would be dead if she got one as a gift, i get enough bubblegum for buying myself new ones

Last Edited:
HA.... it's funny how many people didn't figure "Bunny" was a lady.

To answer the question my girlfriends first choice was the Sig p250 because she could have a light, it has a great double action trigger( the DA trigger meant she couldn't accidentally pull the trigger and that she could pull it again on a hard primer), it was light weight and easy to rack the slide.

I got her a Walther P22 for her first gun and she loves it. My idea was to get a Walther
P380 because it would be a very soft shooter ( tilt barrel is softer shooting than fixed barrel like a ppk) and when she got better or more into shooting i'd get her a walther p99 or s&w sw99

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top