JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife selected the KelTec PF9 because it is double action only and no safeties... just like a revolver. It has a very nice trigger, but also a bit of a bite when firing , so I added a Houge grip which helped some. I pulled it off and added some padded tape to the back of the grip, and then wrestled the Houge grip over that. Now she loves it.

What ever she likes, and is comfortable shooting and carrying.

Yes, absolutely critical. If you don't like something you won't practice with it. I force myself to routinely practice with my .38 snubby because I carry it often, but I don't find it fun to shoot. And there is no way to tell for certain if you are going to like it or not just by handling it in a gun shop.

HA.... it's funny how many people didn't figure "Bunny" was a lady.

Haha, I was surprised by this too. I assumed my user name would give it away but I guess not. There are some pretty odd users names on here and I think a lot of people aren't reading the entire thread before replying.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into em. :)

eeeeh I figured it was a Women, unless it was a dude that loved bunnies lol.... :s0131:

Yep, I'm a girl. But I do know a dude that loves guns and bunnies so it could have been. ;)

give her my spare hk p2000. she can be my ammo mule and carry the extra mags too. lol

but i wouldn't mind getting matching S&W night guards. hers can be the 386NG and mine the 327NG. :)

New here and this is my first post and only my opinion. There is nothing more beautiful
than a 1911. Many of todays guns are modeled after them. I know many women at the range that carry them and I carry an officers 45. The single stacks are great for people with small hands. The single action has the most comfortable and consistant trigger pull which helps with anticipation problems resulting from the long double action trigger pull.
My brother owns the XDm40. The gun is a quality gun, but still feels like a platic toy as opposed to the steel of a "Tool" or "Intrument" used for self protection. The XDs grip safety is also modeled after the 1911 but again does not have the fit or finish of the 1911. The revovlers are extremely light compared to any of the semi's but also have the long double action trigger pull.

My vote is go "Cocked and Locked" all the way. Also the 1911 has been tried and tested
by military and police at home and abroad by our fathers and grandfathers since the second world war.

My last note is this. Once your have chosen your firearm, take professional instruction like the Oregon Firearms Academy will help with training muscle memory. Muscle memory is the key to safe and accurate operation of your firearm and protecting yourself and loved ones.

J

There should be a "sticky" made for this topic.
The real answer is the person that will be shooting the gun,needs to go rent some handguns to see what fits them the best.

All the suggestions in the world can be completely off,if the guns don't feel right in her hand.

There are many different designs in every caliber to chose from.
None of them fitting everyone perfect.

:s0159:

The real answer is the person that will be shooting the gun,needs to go rent some handguns to see what fits them the best.

All the suggestions in the world can be completely off,if the guns don't feel right in her hand.

There are many different designs in every caliber to chose from.
None of them fitting everyone perfect.

:s0159:

EXACTLY! and this could be the quality time you spend with them that is actually "quality time" in your mind too.

I would suggest she pick out her own handgun, but only after she has taken (at least) a basic handgun training course. My wife finally got interested in shooting earlier this year. She wanted to shoot my G19 3rd gen just because of the fun word "Glock." After grouping under two inches at 5yrds and doing quit well at longer distances, she was hooked! She agreed to take PSTC 101a and I promised to buy her any pistol she wanted. Watch what you promise your wife! The SIG 239 SAS seemed best for her so I forked out more for her gun than I ever spent on on any of 30-40 weapons I had ever purchased to that date. Damn well worth it to have a great shooting partner and co-defender. Now that she is into guns too I only have to hide a few of my arsenal purchases. ha ha.... Oh sh*t, I hope she doesn't read this.

3rd Gen Glock 19 all the way.

A lot folks want to insist on a revolver for women and often something like a small hammerless S&W.

Want it in pink? Break out some Krylon and go for broke.

I've been noticing this. I don't have anything against revolvers, especially since I've never fired one, but I'm not particularly interested in one for my first gun for the simple fact that I want it for multiple purposes, and I'd really like more rounds than a revolver can offer me. And although CC is something I'm interested in, it's not my very top priority atm. I may choose a revolver for CC or for another reason in the future. Who knows. But I like hearing everyone's suggestions regardless. I left my question vague on purpose. ;)

Negative on the pink though.

New here and this is my first post and only my opinion. There is nothing more beautiful than a 1911. Many of todays guns are modeled after them. I know many women at the range that carry them and I carry an officers 45. The single stacks are great for people with small hands.

My last note is this. Once your have chosen your firearm, take professional instruction like the Oregon Firearms Academy will help with training muscle memory. Muscle memory is the key to safe and accurate operation of your firearm and protecting yourself and loved ones.

J

I liked the way the 1911's I've held felt in my hand too. It's being considered.

And I plan to get some professional instruction as well. Hopefully before I purchase anything. It may help me with my final decision. Thanks for the suggestions and welcome to the forum. :)

There really should. I was reluctant to post this or my other one because I'm sure there are a million repeats. Except, each person is different and may not get the best advice that way. So I decided to ask my questions anyway. And I really appreciate everyone being so nice and helpful.

She agreed to take PSTC 101a and I promised to buy her any pistol she wanted. Watch what you promise your wife!

Haha, I don't have a wife. I'm a chick :s0132: But that's really great of you to do that for her. I agree that educating your spouse is a good thing to do if you own firearms. IMO a necessity. Like you said, now she's got your back and you can enjoy it as a hobby together. Thanks for the advice.

I don't have a boyfriend or husband with guns encouraging me though. I'm just interested in guns. :)

I currently have a love hate relationship with my g27. I love it cause its so small but I hate it cause its to small to fit my hand comfortably lol. I upgraded to the g23 and it fits my hand great, but then I got a g30 and I carry that everyday now. it feels great but its a .45 so its a little bit heavier.

I currently have a love hate relationship with my g27. I love it cause its so small but I hate it cause its to small to fit my hand comfortably lol. I upgraded to the g23 and it fits my hand great, but then I got a g30 and I carry that everyday now. it feels great but its a .45 so its a little bit heavier.

Yeah, I gripped a 26 and I didn't feel like I had a solid grip on it. Maybe with an extended mag deal I'd feel comfortable, but I just really can't stand my pinky finger hanging off anything. I can't imagine being comfortable firing it if I don't even feel right holding it. Which is why I'm hesitant to go too small with my first purchase (if ever). It's something I'm really struggling with. Do I want to sacrifice something like that for easier CC or not, etc. I'm not sure, but I'm kinda thinking no for the most part. unsure.gif Fortunately if I really want to CC I do have the option of getting a larger purse. :p

I liked the way the 1911's I've held felt in my hand too. It's being considered.

And I plan to get some professional instruction as well. Hopefully before I purchase anything. It may help me with my final decision.

Ok now, let's switch gears.
You like the "feel" of a 1911. You plan on getting professional instruction.
I'll tell you now.....Buy a quality 1911. Learn to use it properly.
"Game over. Done deal. You'll never, ever look back", says the man that's shot and carried a 1911 for nearly 20 years.

Ok now, let's switch gears.
You like the "feel" of a 1911. You plan on getting professional instruction.
I'll tell you now.....Buy a quality 1911. Learn to use it properly.
"Game over. Done deal. You'll never, ever look back", says the man that's shot and carried a 1911 for nearly 20 years.

Haha, I think that literally might be jumping the gun for me. They felt ok, but I'm not ready to commit to buying just yet. With everything I have to consider, it may be a year or longer before I choose something. I'm picky. :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top