JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

This primer looks weird to me. It seems oddly bulged out -- like it was just about to erupt and let gas out the wrong way, but also not flattened -- could the case have been stuck too far in the chamber? Is that even a possibility?

primer.jpg

Looking through my brass piles, my own reloads and range pickups, I would say the amount of soot on the case head is weird too. As if gas was leaking. I don't have a shield so maybe that's normal, but these cases look amazingly filthy. In the picture I quoted above, only the upper left and the one I quoted with the red box look like the right amount of soot to me.

Looking through my brass piles, my own reloads and range pickups, I would say the amount of soot on the case head is weird too. As if gas was leaking. I don't have a shield so maybe that's normal, but these cases look amazingly filthy. In the picture I quoted above, only the upper left and the one I quoted with the red box look like the right amount of soot to me.
Good point! I thought they looked very dirty also

9mm headspace son the case mouth. You could get a weird looking primer like that if the case length was too short

That's interesting -- I wonder if the OP has the tools to take a cartridge apart and measure the case length.

Another bit that might support that idea, is that the upper left case in the pic I quoted appears to have a lighter primer strike than the others in the group. If it was farther forward, the firing pin wouldn't make as much of a dent.

Fwiw looking at the first page of cheaper than dirt reviews on this ammo, some love it and some really hate it. Sounds like a lot of variability with this ammo from the few reviews that I read. A couple of the bad reviews on page 1 of the reviews listed below FYI:
25957DAF-A743-4061-96E8-08CFE5DD8E09.jpeg
00F0C8AF-7D95-4809-AFB9-E6147FE09B84.jpeg
Also I noticed this one when cherry picking for only the bad reviews (Again, fwiw, there are lots of good reviews also)
3080CECC-1E75-41B6-89F6-481927169DD9.jpeg

Last Edited:
In the first photo the bottom four cases look to me to be showing early signs of primer cratering. If this is the case it's a potential sign of over pressure.

I'm with those here that think the amount of soot on the cases is strange.

Any time a company feels the need to add "Quality" to its name is probably a bad sign. Looks like people are having a hard time finding the company contact info too.

I tried to find a website for them but can't -- I think they have no web presence at all. If we could find a website, the "whois" data may contain contact info (if they didn't use a proxy) -- but this company seems to have zero web presence (or search is hard due to common name elements -- American and Quality).

I tried to find a website for them but can't -- I think they have no web presence at all. If we could find a website, the "whois" data may contain contact info (if they didn't use a proxy) -- but this company seems to have zero web presence (or search is hard due to common name elements -- American and Quality).
The ctd link includes their manufacturers ID number.

Just spitballing here...

Lots of soot. Lots.

Some of those primers look cratered and bulged - but no flattening... (loose headspace?)

Have you measured the spent casings legnth yet?

Hot loads on short used casings...?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR