JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The majority of my friends are liberals, im far from putting myself in a filter bubble even participating in this gun forum.

What is the lack of self awareness than many conservative gun owners dont see?
Considering the tilt of basically all of media, big business, tech giants, government, education and basically every other major societal institution it is basically impossible to live in a "conservative bubble." You will be exposed to the ideas of the other side by simple virtue that you cannot get away from them (unless you decide to be a hermit somewhere).

Honestly it is Liberals who often live in a bubble, since they can. It is far easier to live a life without conservative influence now, and I regularly speak to people for whom I and other personal acquaintances are basically the only voice they hear from that side, and that only to the extent that we talk about anything even vaguely political in the first place. They have zero exposure to "conservative media," follow no conservative commentary, see no conservative social posts (because they have blocked/filtered them all out) and experience no "viewpoint saturation" to counter any of that active and passive self selection.

Try that as a conservative. Try to only watch conservative movies and shows, be exposed to only conservative news (at home, in the doctors office, grabbing a bite to eat at the sports bar. . .) have only conservative results show up in your online searches. . . It simply cannot be done.

So to have some Liberal come in here and accuse us of "living in a bubble" because we have made one space for ourselves where we can be comfortable talking openly and not be constantly challenged on even basic, indisputable facts is honestly quite hilarious. As if it were the conservatives that were constantly filtering, suppressing and censoring opposing viewpoints to the point where they are all but excised from whole vast swaths of society. If you want to find "viewpoint bubbles" go talk to your co-conspirators and ask them the last time they herd a conservative viewpoint from an actual conservative, not some straw man "conservative viewpoint" spoon fed to them from one of their own pundits. The only ones that have are the ones who actively go seek it out, for all the rest it has been effectively erased.

I'm curious to know if, given all the Seattle and Portland folks here (notoriously liberal cities), there are many liberals actually on this site
Most forum members adhere to Classical Liberalism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism) whether they realize it or not. Liberalism and Conservatism are poorly understood by most people. You should define what type of liberalism floats your boat (individual rights vs group rights, intersectionalist, opressor/opressed theory, etc.)to give us a better idea of what you mean.

It's best to simply respect people regardless of their beliefs and keep in mind that political content that is not related to firearms is prohibited in open discussion. It prevents unnecessary squabbles against those who would otherwise be friends. There are political forums just for politics if you are interested in political discussion.

I'll carve off my left hand before I vote for Trump
In that case we have a forum that you might be especially interested in: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/forums/knife-other-weapon-discussion.18/

You can rest easy since it's highly unlikely that Trump will carry any of the West Coast states.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so I might be repeating someone.

Years ago, my experience and attitude of liberal versus conservative was very different. We all seemed to know that we're all in the same boat, and discussed our differences amicably. But that has changed.

The liberal mindset nowadays is so foreign to me, I truly don't understand what has happened.

Liberals support killing unborn kids, and using their body parts in commerce and research. It's appalling and ghoulish - and nearly impossible to talk about. I've tried.

Drag Queen story hour for toddlers? Liberals.

Transgender treatments for kids? Liberals.

Open borders, allowing millions of strangers into our shared home, without knowing much about them? Liberals.

Gun-free zones? Liberals.

I think the liberal mindset is that of a death cult. Maybe you are the exception. Maybe not.

The very odd and intense hatred for President Trump is puzzling to me. Maybe the liberals are simply trusting whatever CNN tells them? I don't know, but it is strange.

I used to say "I don't care about your political views" - but now, the liberal mindset is threatening the well-being of my family, my country, and the future of life on Earth.

I think you guys are nutty as a fruitcake.

Stick around if you want to - I'll just put you in the Penalty Box with Monkey if you get too weird.
Dude. NAILED IT.

Considering the tilt of basically all of media, big business, tech giants, government, education and basically every other major societal institution it is basically impossible to live in a "conservative bubble." You will be exposed to the ideas of the other side by simple virtue that you cannot get away from them (unless you decide to be a hermit somewhere).

Honestly it is Liberals who often live in a bubble, since they can. It is far easier to live a life without conservative influence now, and I regularly speak to people for whom I and other personal acquaintances are basically the only voice they hear from that side, and that only to the extent that we talk about anything even vaguely political in the first place. They have zero exposure to "conservative media," follow no conservative commentary, see no conservative social posts (because they have blocked/filtered them all out) and experience no "viewpoint saturation" to counter any of that active and passive self selection.

Try that as a conservative. Try to only watch conservative movies and shows, be exposed to only conservative news (at home, in the doctors office, grabbing a bite to eat at the sports bar. . .) have only conservative results show up in your online searches. . . It simply cannot be done.

So to have some Liberal come in here and accuse us of "living in a bubble" because we have made one space for ourselves where we can be comfortable talking openly and not be constantly challenged on even basic, indisputable facts is honestly quite hilarious. As if it were the conservatives that were constantly filtering, suppressing and censoring opposing viewpoints to the point where they are all but excised from whole vast swaths of society. If you want to find "viewpoint bubbles" go talk to your co-conspirators and ask them the last time they herd a conservative viewpoint from an actual conservative, not some straw man "conservative viewpoint" spoon fed to them from one of their own pundits. The only ones that have are the ones who actively go seek it out, for all the rest it has been effectively erased.
Couldn't have said this better myself.

Nobody's gonna care how you voted if you didn't shout it from the rooftops. But since you did, you're gonna get bashed. You're on a firearms forum bud. You're openly testifying that you vote with the enemy.

I just don't understand why the left is so loud. I guess that's why they call us folks the silent majority. To each is own, go ahead and keep on with your rant. "We're here. We're Kweer. Get used to it!"
But don't get your feelings hurt when people here react badly to the next terrible law that comes from some candidate you voted for. Don't expect any sympathy when you start whining about new laws going into effect and you need to figure out what new hell is all legal. They are your candidates, you should know better than anyone else what they are up to, and that voting for them was voting for the destruction of this hobby and way of life.

If you cannot handle that reality then this is probably not the place for you. If you can, and are willing to make a good faith effort to uphold the tenets of this community despite what your preferred candidates are trying to do to us, well then maybe we can find some useful common ground.

You both make an incorrect assumption: I only vote D if I have to (e.g. against Trump, or his supporters). My preference is to vote libertarian, but it's rare there's one to vote for (who isn't a joke candidate). So most of the time I'm looking for centrists, either Republican-lite or conservative Dems. Which, funny thing, is easier to do now in Seattle that we are coming up for air after 4 years of batbubblegum crazy communists (I'm not exaggerating, Sawant is card-carrying, and I'm pretty sure Herbold is as well). Folks in Seattle are starting to bring the pendulum back the other direction.

And as for the "why you gotta declare it like that and be all loud and stuff?" I'm reacting to experiences on the other side: I'm socially liberal, and at first thought BLM might be a useful movement to contribute to. Joined a few online groups and tried to contribute, only to be told that as a white male I need to sit my bubblegum down and keep quiet. Allies don't talk, they do as they're told by the "valid" members (e.g. POC). "When we need you to talk, we'll let you know." Let me tell you, to say that me suggesting maybe defunding the police isn't a good idea got a reaction would be a wild understatement. Thou. Shalt. Not. Say. That.

So now I'm more inclined to see up front if a group is going to be worth the effort. Sortof a "what's the immune response"/test for allergens kinda deal. Which unfortunately does bring in some skin irritation. Sorry for the rash.

Talking politics or religion will often cause folks to choose sides often resulting in what these last 9 pages have become.

What happened here should hardly be a surprise...but I digress.

So now I'm more inclined to see up front if a group is going to be worth the effort

20240212_173556.jpg

I don't mind when people reply to my posts with something constructive and important to say.
My questions have not been in regard to other members questions. And this reply isn't having a "genuine" conversation.... its actually gaslighting and typical response to very hard but honest questions Ive asked liberal gun owners about how they can justify voting for politicians that actively campaign on removing the rights some liberal gun owners claim to "100%" support.

My questions still stand, and with all due respect to a genuine conversation.

You both make an incorrect assumption: I only vote D if I have to (e.g. against Trump, or his supporters). My preference is to vote libertarian, but it's rare there's one to vote for (who isn't a joke candidate). So most of the time I'm looking for centrists, either Republican-lite or conservative Dems. Which, funny thing, is easier to do now in Seattle that we are coming up for air after 4 years of batbubblegum crazy communists (I'm not exaggerating, Sawant is card-carrying, and I'm pretty sure Herbold is as well). Folks in Seattle are starting to bring the pendulum back the other direction.

And as for the "why you gotta declare it like that and be all loud and stuff?" I'm reacting to experiences on the other side: I'm socially liberal, and at first thought BLM might be a useful movement to contribute to. Joined a few online groups and tried to contribute, only to be told that as a white male I need to sit my bubblegum down and keep quiet. Allies don't talk, they do as they're told by the "valid" members (e.g. POC). "When we need you to talk, we'll let you know." Let me tell you, to say that me suggesting maybe defunding the police isn't a good idea got a reaction would be a wild understatement. Thou. Shalt. Not. Say. That.

So now I'm more inclined to see up front if a group is going to be worth the effort. Sortof a "what's the immune response"/test for allergens kinda deal. Which unfortunately does bring in some skin irritation. Sorry for the rash.
Ok wait.. so are you NOT a liberal as you claimed before?

So your original post says you're a liberal who will cut his hand off before voting for trump. Now you're a libertarian who only votes liberal if you're absolutely forced to.
Now since you even yourself admitted that it's basically impossible to vote libertarian, you're saying you've been voting D because you're "forced to".

You're tooting a totally different horn now.

"I'm a liberal!!. Well, I'm only a liberal if Trump is in office, then I vote Liberal. But I tried to join up with the liberals and they bashed me because of my race... so I STILL vote for the parties that let those racists continue to destroy our cities...but only because orange man bad"

Dude. You're not a libertarian at all. You're not an old school Democrat at all.

You're a mentally deranged liberal LOL

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews