What went wrong here...

Mikej

Reactions
View attachment 783917

With my USP(.45ACP), it was locked in battery & stayed that way. Completely locked. You can see where the case blew out, right where it wasn't supported. I won't disclose the name of the company, because 1) They were very professional every step of the way(also replaced my gun) & 2) I'm of the impression that these things could happen to almost any ammo manufacturers.

I also contacted Heckler & Koch, they blamed the ammo manufacturer immediately. Most people I showed it to leaned towards ammo issue, but there were couple who weren't 100%. Ammo company had me return the entire batch back to them(few boxes), especially interested in the very box the particular ammo came in. They tested it, said couldn't find anything wrong with it, but would send me another USP.

Glad your hands are okay(mine were, too). I was seriously scared to shoot again there for while.

Interesting. Did not know that.
Curious photo @a6m5 Now I have to go through my semi auto hang guns and see if any of mine leave so much un-supported case.

As far as the OP, DAMN! :eek: Curious of how brass shavings /dust were being produced. Do you have the piece of brass that blew up the gun? Other pieces of brass from THE gun and the 92FS to compare? Glad your okay man.

I'm usually picking up my brass while I'm shooting, rather than waiting 'til the end of a session. I got in the habit looking close at my fired brass for some reason. Good habit to have I think.

SUPER X

Reactions
I'm rather sure 59 left the muzzle and missed my target, but can't be 100% sure as shock has kind of jacked my memory a little. Muzzle is clear now. I was able to push a rod from all the way down the barrel and into the breach so i new the round was spend that's stuck in it.
Is the barrel bulged .

Certaindeaf

Reactions
For what it's worth, my nephew just got a new Shield 9mm compact.
I brought some of my reloads that work in all my 9mm's using unsized (.359/.360) Lee 102 rn and the first attempt at chambering one in his gun resulted in the bullet jammed so hard into the throat that the bullet was pulled out of the case and remained stuck hard in the throat after clearing the round by using the bench.

OP
grimmy999
Reactions
Curious photo @a6m5 Now I have to go through my semi auto hang guns and see if any of mine leave so much un-supported case.

As far as the OP, DAMN! :eek: Curious of how brass shavings /dust were being produced. Do you have the piece of brass that blew up the gun? Other pieces of brass from THE gun and the 92FS to compare? Glad your okay man.

I'm usually picking up my brass while I'm shooting, rather than waiting 'til the end of a session. I got in the habit looking close at my fired brass for some reason. Good habit to have I think.
I don't think it's the brass, I think it's whatever the bullet is coated with since it's not a copper jacket.

SUPER X

Reactions
The case looks to not be totally seated in the chamber with the claw ripping the side of the brass out it must be stuck good.is the back of the case blown out ?

Last edited:

citizen a

Reactions
I was a first hand witness to the event in question yesterday. Crazy, and made me paranoid to keep shooting even though I was using different firearms/ammo. If it was an overcharged 9mm, it would have to be pretty significantly hopped up to cause that kind of damage.

I didn't actually see the shot in question, but I saw OP sitting on a tailgate with his hand on a compress and he asked us to get his gun off the ground, which was confusing for a second, until we saw the gun.

Reactions
This isnt the issue here though, all semis have a small unsupported part of the feedramp to facililtate, feeding. Semi casings have extra wall thicknesses in this area near the base for this reason. Reloads or faulty ammo manufacturing is the culprit here.

1606588476323.png

Reactions
I think this is an ammo issue, still would like to know if its reloads?

Had a similar experience years ago with commercial reloaded ammo, case wall blew out on a shot. Lucky for me it didnt hurt the gun or anything I just think the case was reused one too many times.... now imagine this scenario if the reloader overcharged the ammo.

1606588819348.png

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Vendor
    I have not been to the shop yet but have purchased from him online, and all I can say is PERFECT! You could not ask for a nicer, more helpful guy...
  • Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
Top Bottom