JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

This primer looks weird to me. It seems oddly bulged out -- like it was just about to erupt and let gas out the wrong way, but also not flattened -- could the case have been stuck too far in the chamber? Is that even a possibility?

primer.jpg

Looking through my brass piles, my own reloads and range pickups, I would say the amount of soot on the case head is weird too. As if gas was leaking. I don't have a shield so maybe that's normal, but these cases look amazingly filthy. In the picture I quoted above, only the upper left and the one I quoted with the red box look like the right amount of soot to me.

Looking through my brass piles, my own reloads and range pickups, I would say the amount of soot on the case head is weird too. As if gas was leaking. I don't have a shield so maybe that's normal, but these cases look amazingly filthy. In the picture I quoted above, only the upper left and the one I quoted with the red box look like the right amount of soot to me.
Good point! I thought they looked very dirty also

9mm headspace son the case mouth. You could get a weird looking primer like that if the case length was too short

That's interesting -- I wonder if the OP has the tools to take a cartridge apart and measure the case length.

Another bit that might support that idea, is that the upper left case in the pic I quoted appears to have a lighter primer strike than the others in the group. If it was farther forward, the firing pin wouldn't make as much of a dent.

Fwiw looking at the first page of cheaper than dirt reviews on this ammo, some love it and some really hate it. Sounds like a lot of variability with this ammo from the few reviews that I read. A couple of the bad reviews on page 1 of the reviews listed below FYI:
25957DAF-A743-4061-96E8-08CFE5DD8E09.jpeg
00F0C8AF-7D95-4809-AFB9-E6147FE09B84.jpeg
Also I noticed this one when cherry picking for only the bad reviews (Again, fwiw, there are lots of good reviews also)
3080CECC-1E75-41B6-89F6-481927169DD9.jpeg

Last Edited:
In the first photo the bottom four cases look to me to be showing early signs of primer cratering. If this is the case it's a potential sign of over pressure.

I'm with those here that think the amount of soot on the cases is strange.

Any time a company feels the need to add "Quality" to its name is probably a bad sign. Looks like people are having a hard time finding the company contact info too.

I tried to find a website for them but can't -- I think they have no web presence at all. If we could find a website, the "whois" data may contain contact info (if they didn't use a proxy) -- but this company seems to have zero web presence (or search is hard due to common name elements -- American and Quality).

I tried to find a website for them but can't -- I think they have no web presence at all. If we could find a website, the "whois" data may contain contact info (if they didn't use a proxy) -- but this company seems to have zero web presence (or search is hard due to common name elements -- American and Quality).
The ctd link includes their manufacturers ID number.

Just spitballing here...

Lots of soot. Lots.

Some of those primers look cratered and bulged - but no flattening... (loose headspace?)

Have you measured the spent casings legnth yet?

Hot loads on short used casings...?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top