JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering a shooting rest and wondering what is worth the money and what is junk? I have seen shooter's using sand bags, short bipods, as well as fairly expensive shooting rests. I have seen a few shooting rests online for around $60, but not sure about the quality. I am retired, so I don't have the luxury of spending a great deal. Maybe a rifle bipod is the way to go, and I could use it at the range and hunting? If you like bipods, please share the brand you like? Maybe bipods are too cumbersome for hunting and you only use a rifle prop for target practice. Not looking for the very best, just curious what has worked well for others?

I have a shooting "Bag" (pictured below) that works perfectly fine and wont break the bank, but to be honest I've found myself leaving it at home more often than not and shooting off my range pack with similar results downrange out to around 200yds. If you're going for longer ranges and/or doing precision shooting the bag would probably help and would be even better paired with an old sock filled with rice or other media to place under the shoulder stock to fine tune elevation.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.midwayusa.com%2Fproductimages%2F880x660%2Falt1%2F610%2F610698.jpg

I
I have a shooting "Bag" (pictured below) that works perfectly fine and wont break the bank, but to be honest I've found myself leaving it at home more often than not and shooting off my range pack with similar results downrange out to around 200yds. If you're going for longer ranges and/or doing precision shooting the bag would probably help and would be even better paired with an old sock filled with rice or other media to place under the shoulder stock to fine tune elevation.

View attachment 566161
I got started on this by watching a video about sighting-in a rifle at a range with a shooting rest. You make a point, many items could be used as gun prop.

I have a cheapo plastic "sled" to shoot from that has front and back rests. However, many times I take my front and back sandbags because I seem to shoot just as well. My buddy used to use a kitchen chair cushion and his folded jacket and he outshot me regularly. However, out in the field while hunting a downed tree has been the most useful, but my knee was used more often, and a time or two a wrapped sling while shooting offhand.

Anyone can shoot all sand bagged up or off those expensive sleds because it takes the human error out of the equation. Use a bipod like this to see what your really made of.

181890m2_ts.jpg

I am considering a shooting rest and wondering what is worth the money and what is junk? I have seen shooter's using sand bags, short bipods, as well as fairly expensive shooting rests. I have seen a few shooting rests online for around $60, but not sure about the quality. I am retired, so I don't have the luxury of spending a great deal. Maybe a rifle bipod is the way to go, and I could use it at the range and hunting? If you like bipods, please share the brand you like? Maybe bipods are too cumbersome for hunting and you only use a rifle prop for target practice. Not looking for the very best, just curious what has worked well for others?
What is your main purpose going to be?
For most of my shooting i use harris bipods and a triad tactical bean bag in the rear. I dont hunt and only shoot more tactical shooting style. I will also use a back pack too.

Anyone can shoot all sand bagged up or off those expensive sleds because it takes the human error out of the equation. Use a bipod like this to see what your really made of.

View attachment 566184

Disagree to a certain extent. Shooting with the front end on sandbags certainly doesn't take out human error. As you already know, I know.

:)

I also use the bags shown by @papersoldier plus the little one for the but stock. They are OK. Depending on terrain elevations, sometimes on top of my gun box too for added height.
However I made a leather covered steel "V" shaped device that screws on my tripod and set it in front of my small table for front support with the little but bag on the table which is infinitely more adjustable. Sans table, just with my stool for longer hand gun shots. I find I'm using this more. My use of supports apply primarily to working up loads paying attention to grouping changes. I do that fairly regularly.
I use whatever I can find close by for hunting.

One thing about the Caldwell bags. Cover them with a piece of leather (or) when shooting revolvers with them. They're mostly just plastic materials. The blow out from the cylinder gap of my 45 long colt smith blew / burned /melted, a couple holes in it. I glued / sewed them up while thinking I should have sprung for leather.

What is your main purpose going to be?
For most of my shooting i use harris bipods and a triad tactical bean bag in the rear. I dont hunt and only shoot more tactical shooting style. I will also use a back pack too.
Initially, just developing decent shooting skills out to 100 yards, and I will see how I progress from there. I want to become proficient in using irons and a rifle scope. I have not purchased a scope yet. I eventually want to deer hunt.

I also use the bags shown by @papersoldier plus the little one for the but stock. They are OK. Depending on terrain elevations, sometimes on top of my gun box too for added height.
However I made a leather covered steel "V" shaped device that screws on my tripod and set it in front of my small table for front support with the little but bag on the table which is infinitely more adjustable. Sans table, just with my stool for longer hand gun shots. I find I'm using this more. My use of supports apply primarily to working up loads paying attention to grouping changes. I do that fairly regularly.
I use whatever I can find close by for hunting.

One thing about the Caldwell bags. Cover them with a piece of leather (or) when shooting revolvers with them. They're mostly just plastic materials. The blow out from the cylinder gap of my 45 long colt smith blew / burned /melted, a couple holes in it. I glued / sewed them up while thinking I should have sprung for leather.
You caused me just now to question if a rifle barrel could get too hot for those sand bags. Hmmm, never heard anything before about firearms damaging the bags, but it is easy to understand that could be an issue.

You caused me just now to question if a rifle barrel could get too hot for those sand bags. Hmmm, never heard anything before about firearms damaging the bags, but it is easy to understand that could be an issue.

.22LR barrels don't get very hot.

:)

Initially, just developing decent shooting skills out to 100 yards, and I will see how I progress from there. I want to become proficient in using irons and a rifle scope. I have not purchased a scope yet. I eventually want to deer hunt.
A few things then.
1) rest the stock on a bag never the barrel. The barrel has a whip like motion as the round travels down the barrel.
2) harris bipods would also work well for that not as useful for hunting.
3) at 100 yards you really wont need to get to fancy a back pack or range bag will be fine. Just remeber barrel doesnt touch bag.

Harris Bi-pod and some kind of sand bag in the rear is what I use. If you can put a little forward pressure on the bi-pod, makes it much easier to stay on target.

I have a few GPS-02 bipods. They're alright for bench or prone shooting.
The Harris bipods are quite a bit better with options. I bought the one I have, used.
Atlas Bipods had a thing for me. They're expensive. As time passed I found the leg-extensions and two different sets of spiked feet.
I put rails on all my rifles, so I can move it around as needed.
I made a squeeze bag from a Crown Royal bag ;)

Maybe, but less likely, since with a rifle, you won't have burning gas as from a revolver cylinder. There is a very thin, maybe "cotton" covering on the plastic liner which would keep your barrel from touching plastic.

That said,(a personal opine) for a variety of reasons, I have never rested any of my rifle barrels on anything while target shooting or hunting, preferring instead, the use of the fore stock.

Re-purposed lead shot bags work very well.
Pro Tip:
Put your sand into a plastic bag and then into the canvas shot bag.
Get shot bags at your local Trap and Skeet range.

Sand bags can also be made out of pant legs.
My Mom would sew them closed and they looked quite professional.

original.jpg
236541.jpg[IMG]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews