JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always zero and develop handloads with the rifle completely supported by a foreend bag and a butt-bag. Once the rifle is zeroed and a load is chosen, I leave the bench behind and practice from improvised shooting positions/rests and off-hand. I try to figure out how far I can hit a vital-sized target from each position.

I don't generally use bipods, but when I do, I use a Harris. I only use them where I can reasonably expect to shoot prone.

I always zero and develop handloads with the rifle completely supported by a foreend bag and a butt-bag. Once the rifle is zeroed and a load is chosen, I leave the bench behind and practice from improvised shooting positions/rests and off-hand. I try to figure out how far I can hit a vital-sized target from each position.

I don't generally use bipods, but when I do, I use a Harris. I only use them where I can reasonably expect to shoot prone.

Most of us don't shoot as well as you do brother. :)

harris short bipod, but seems like i do better with just using a small backpack ( filled with day trip items, like small water bottles, snacks, a towel, spare t-shirt.).
In the back I use a pair of socks filled with 1/4 inch plastic beads purchased at the arts and crafts store. Its folded within itself to form the shape and size of a softball, put it under your buttstock,,when your left hand is tucked into the rifle stock in prone position ( right hand shooter ), As you squeeze that softball sized sock filled with beads with your left hand , use it to make minor adjustments to your elevation. plus now you have a spare set of socks:)

From trees & branches in the field to SEB rests and custom rear bags, as the OP observed, there are several levels of investment required when it comes to shooting rests.

One approach is to match the need or purpose of the rifle with something suitable that improves your skill. The needs of a hunter are very different from the needs of a benchrest competitor. Even if you want the best solution, it may not be viable for your purpose.

The second thing to consider is the stock or frame (in the case of a large revolver) and use something compatible. The most expensive rests and bags don't work well if your gun isn't designed to "ride the bag". Bipods are great for adjusting from a bench to field and with the right techniques can rival high quality rests if you practice.

One thing to consider is getting the weapon the right height to allow you get the ideal cheek weld and scope eye relief. For hunting, accuracy in the field is the goal and work backward from there to determine the best way to practice with how you might shoot. It might actually be better to practice shooting off hand, prone, sitting, or kneeling depending on what works for you.

For load development which requires repeatable accuracy you might need something more stable than a field optimized solution. Here the ability to hold the rifle stable favors a rest/bag where the adjustment is in the front. If you have an adjustable rear solution then a bipod can work. Rear monopods, squeezable socks or adjustment built in the stock work great though most will find a rest/bag work best.

Midway/Amazon along with others frequently offer the Caldwell Rock Bench Rest as low as $99, and recently they included a free rear bag. This setup is great for most rifles that can ride bags in a straight line and doesn't break the bank. Slings and swivel studs will compromise this setup.

ARs and other military/tactical style weapons tend to favor bipods unless you have taken steps to improve the setup for rest/bag combo. This style of shooting favors the front of the weapon on something elevated like a bag, bipod, branch, etc, and the rear of the rifle shoulder mounted with something that can elevate the rear to improve sight adjustment. "Beer can" bags, socks, monopods, and rear bags in some cases all work for this.

The one caution I have picked up is rests that immobilize the rifle can lead to stock failure in some cases where stout recoil is combined with an un-reinforced stock. The Caldwell Lead Sled has been reported to be a factor with stock failure. My 338-378 Wby Mag without the break delivers a real wallop and it is very tempting to let the rest absorb all the recoil. In my case I allow the rest to ride into my shoulder effectively sharing the recoil.

Without looking at the rifle stock and how & where you plan to shoot, the best we can do is tell you what we like as many already have. Enjoy shooting, practice often, share your success, and keep us informed as we're in this together

For the majority of the shooting I do a Harris bipod and Triad tactical rear bag suit me fine for doing load work up and shooting prone. Some people really like the Atlas bipods but for the shooting I do, I don't think they are worth the premium.

If you're looking to spend some money, a Manfrotto or equivalent tripod and a Hog saddle.

If you're looking to get better shooting an AR out to 200-300 yards, I'd just practice with a sling and a good stable position.

At 100 yds, you can get away with a lot of options on deer sized game. Eventually though I suspect you'll want to stretch it out especially with a larger type caliber.

With this in mind, I like the Harris style bipod (type S), a rear squeeze bag and scope level.

Then lots and lots of practice!

Anyone can shoot all sand bagged up or off those expensive sleds because it takes the human error out of the equation. Use a bipod like this to see what your really made of.

View attachment 566184
I'm not sure what difficulty one might experience benching up with the bipod, but I do know what it's like laying on rough ground shooting varmints with one, and it is a bit problematic.

Not for everyone, but out in the desert I use shooting sticks made from 36" x 1" oak dowel rods held together with slices of bicycle inner tubes. Killed many sage rats with this $5 setup.

For the majority of the shooting I do a Harris bipod and Triad tactical rear bag suit me fine for doing load work up and shooting prone. Some people really like the Atlas bipods but for the shooting I do, I don't think they are worth the premium.

If you're looking to spend some money, a Manfrotto or equivalent tripod and a Hog saddle.

If you're looking to get better shooting an AR out to 200-300 yards, I'd just practice with a sling and a good stable position.

Oh, this is good!

a lot of great advice on here as pointed out it depends on where and style of shooting you are doing. . if you cant support your rifle and keep it steady for "insert time here" to make that shot of a life time or you get winded picking up a magazine strength training is equally important.
but it starts here
upload_2019-6-21_7-21-27.jpeg
ok it really starts here
upload_2019-6-21_7-18-57.jpeg
:D

I am considering a shooting rest and wondering what is worth the money and what is junk? I have seen shooter's using sand bags, short bipods, as well as fairly expensive shooting rests. I have seen a few shooting rests online for around $60, but not sure about the quality. I am retired, so I don't have the luxury of spending a great deal. Maybe a rifle bipod is the way to go, and I could use it at the range and hunting? If you like bipods, please share the brand you like? Maybe bipods are too cumbersome for hunting and you only use a rifle prop for target practice. Not looking for the very best, just curious what has worked well for others?

Anyone can shoot all sand bagged up or off those expensive sleds because it takes the human error out of the equation. Use a bipod like this to see what your really made of.

View attachment 566184

Disagree to a certain extent. Shooting with the front end on sandbags certainly doesn't take out human error. As you already know, I know.

:)
I totally agree with mr. KruelJ.... If it took the human error out of it, there would be more people winning bench rest competitions with sandbags. That just isn't going to happen. Most guys that shoot, know sandbags, bi-pods, and just about any other form of rest under said rifle, does not get rid of 100% of all human error. It's like the guys that say their rifles are 1/4 moa all day long and not proving it. It just doesn't happen in the real world, but is surprisingly possible in some guys' minds...

The rests I like to are the front rest with Protektor front bag and rear bag. Generally a number 1 or 2, depending on what type of stock rests in it:
a4pR6qD.jpg
This one pictured is an el-cheapo that Hoppes used to sell. It's made of cast aluminum, and is surprisingly stable and light. I also use a couple different sizes of rear bags to support the butt end of the stock. I don't get too picky there, but it has to support the rifle and allow good alignment with the target. The rifle pictured above, shot these groups that day:
eCH9hJe.jpg

Here's my CTR nestled in that front rest with the same rear bag:
ViHE38B.jpg
y6QAKK7.jpg

For my AR's, I typically like using my Harris swivel 6-9 bi-pod:
EpwFmoj.jpg

With a rear bag as well:
EWfVwn4.jpg
YTnWmXa.jpg

For a real stable front rest, I really like my Wichita Arms front rest and rear bag:
RpgJIlg.jpg
20YVffx.jpg

Last Edited:
Initially, just developing decent shooting skills out to 100 yards, and I will see how I progress from there. I want to become proficient in using irons and a rifle scope. I have not purchased a scope yet. I eventually want to deer hunt.

If you intend on hunting, get your rifles dialed in very well off of the bags and then start practicing field positions. We are very limited in what we can do in this state, but when I was a kid I was walking the desert and BLM land in Nevada, just about every day. So many good opportunities there for learning to shoot and practice proper. That's the best way to hone your shooting skill that you just can't get here in this state. It's a sad sad shame really.... Jack rabbit hunting in Nevada is where I got most of my real shooting skills honed in... Another suggestion is to bring your hunting pack to the range and practice shooting off of it. A lot of times when I'm in the field hunting, I'll throw the pack down for making a long shot on a game animal.

I have a set of homemade "Cross Sticks" , similar to what the buffalo hunters of the 1860's-80's used...
I find that they are helpful for younger shooters when shooting my muzzleloaders.

They are easy to make and inexpensive to boot.
Andy

Cross sticks work well, but take a little getting used to. Sometimes I feel like I'm more stable just shooting from the sitting position (indian style)...
ZVyLiAb.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads