JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The only one I've owned was an 1890 takedown in .22WRF. My high school girl friends grand father's hunting gun was a Remington 760 in .30-06. It was a good shooter and he swore by it. I have always wanted a revolver caliber pump and remember drooling over and IMI Timberwolf .357 Mag. Any slide-action rifle fans out there? Whaddya got?

Have not heard of slide action rifles before. o_O

Thread tagged for future perusal and a learning experience...

ETA: Quick check of the Wikis leads to an article on the Colt Lightning Carbine from the late 1800s...

Remington 14 1/2, in 44/40, wanted all my life and just found one about a year ago, and my Browning bpr in .22 mag. that I never knew was made until finding one the other day, what a sweet little rifle it is, only too pretty to get all fingered up!

Remington 14 1/2, in 44/40, wanted all my life and just found one about a year ago, and my Browning bpr in .22 mag. that I never knew was made until finding one the other day, what a sweet little rifle it is, only too pretty to get all fingered up!
Welcome to The Board, by the way...

I liked those Brownings. Always thought it would be cool to have a BRP and a BLR in .308.

That Remington is a sweet classic. Post some pics if your opposed to that sort of thing.

Last Edited:
Have zero pump-action rifles at the present. I really liked the Rossi 62; fun to shoot, totally reliable, surprisingly accurate. I've owned a couple, as have siblings. I also carried for a brief spell in youth a loaned Remington 760 that, well, worked.

These:

Top: Winchester model 62 bought new by my Grandfather in 1936.
Bottom: Winchester model 1890 bought new by my Mother-In-Law's Grandfather in 1911.

mods 62 and 1890.jpg

Last Edited:
The first .22 I ever shot was a slide/pump and thought it was the coolest thing. Likely what started my love affair with 870's. I've looked at Remington 760's over the years but never pulled the trigger. Always on the lookout at gun shows. Nice thread!

I have a bit of a fetish for pump guns, mostly 22s, I currently have 3 Remington model 12s, a 12A, 12c, and a 12CS, I also have a Remington model 572 and a Winchester model 62A and a Winchester 290. My only pump big game rifle at the moment is a Remington model 760 carbine 30-06, I really love going plinking with the 22s chasing golf balls across a gravel pit as fast as I can work the slide

The only one I've owned was an 1890 takedown in .22WRF. My high school girl friends grand father's hunting gun was a Remington 760 in .30-06. It was a good shooter and he swore by it. I have always wanted a revolver caliber pump and remember drooling over and IMI Timberwolf .357 Mag. Any slide-action rifle fans out there? Whaddya got?

I was born with my favorite slide/pump action rifle, but I didn't REALLY discover it until I hit puberty…..

:cool:

I hate pump actions... I don't think I have ever shot one without short stroking and jamming the darned thing!

My 870 - short stroked it repeatedly - sold it for cheap.
My fathers Ithica, I have only shot it a couple of times but short stroked it too - I won't sell it because it was my fathers.
My fathers 30-06 Remmington 760, I have short stroked and jammed it too - also won't sell. My dad loved the 760 because it made follow up shots faster than bolts or levers... for him.
Friends .22 same promlem.
Another friends Kahr double tube pump thing... same thing.
All of them pretty much require dissambly to clear the jams.

Lever action, bolt action, semit-autos have never been a problem for me but pumps always. I know the problem is me and not the guns. I get too impatient and want to be able to shoot a pump at the same speed as a semi so I go too fast. I have to conciously think - back, pause, forwards to be reliable. Levers and bolts pretty much work the action by themselves without me even thinking about it. I am faster with a single shot than I am with a pump.

I get too impatient and want to be able to shoot a pump at the same speed as a semi so I go too fast.
That isn't a problem with your dad's M37 (assuming it is the pre '87 M37).

I am faster with a single shot than I am with a pump.
^^^I laughed.

Short stroking is a thing, but it is a software issue, not a hardware issue and can be overcome. I haven't done it in decades since I became aware of what was going on. I could see one growing up with semi-auto it might be a bigger issue. The biggest hurdle I had was with newer shotguns, I grew up with a Winchester M12, the first pump I shot with a disconnector was a Mossberg Model 500 and I thought it was broke because it would not do what I expected it to do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top