JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Clippers no guard.
I've grown a full beard (for the first time ever) over the last few months, so I spent a LOT of time on YT university learning on proper grooming and care techniques of a proper beard.

At first (prior to getting educated) keeping a full beard was a PITA, but now I got it down to less than 10 minutes in the morning before I hit the world, and a small maintenance trim once or twice a week to cultivate the shape.

I'm actually enjoying the full beard now.

I've grown a full beard (for the first time ever) over the last few months, so I spent a LOT of time on YT university learning on proper grooming and care techniques of a proper beard.

At first (prior to getting educated) keeping a full beard was a PITA, but now I got it down to less than 10 minutes in the morning before I hit the world, and a small maintenance trim once or twice a week to cultivate the shape.

It's possible you may get to lace that beard with burning cannon fuse by the end of the year.

ARRRRRRRGH!
2024 may end with a no prisoners boarding action.

Another self clipper here, more than 30 years, on my second set of clippers, wife does back of head squaring up for me.

As long as my hair is presentable length and I can slick it back with some Vitalis, al la George McFly style, I'm good to go.

Too old and not enough vanity to spend real money on a haircut.

Heck, I made Mother's Day Dinner reservations the other day, there's a $50 no-show charge applied up front. That's of course applied to the final check for dinner, but they've had enough "no shows" to warrant instituting such a policy.

Real Vikings don't groom their beard... Jus' sayin'.

Buzzer on zero for me. Nice and short, been buzzing or shaving my head twice a month or more for the last 15 years. Call it 25 cuts a year that's 375 cuts at $15 that's $5625 I haven't given to a barber. I'm on my second set of clippers but it doesn't matter. I'm still waaaaay ahead
Same here. It pays to be bald, lol.

I hope it works both ways. When you book someone to perform a service or maintenance and they don't show. The 'ol, my truck didn't start because I got a higher paying call, routine.

You lose a day of work or two because now you have to call someone else 🙄.
This is why the cable guy schedules between 6am and 8pm. Be there! lol

I can't get past the $50 haircut part of that story. What? Years ago I bought a Remington brand hair clipper for $65 and do my own. My wife helps me get the back of my neck. That thing has payed for itself multiple times over even at the $15 rate I'd been paying. Snap on the ol' #2 guide and go to buzzin'!
Granted, I am not nor will I ever try to win a beauty contest, but sheesh! $50? How vain are we?
Same here. Plus your ears don't bleed out from some yappy extrovert.

I just stopped by dollar tree to get my energy drink fix. They were not open as scheduled. Poor kid out front said he'd been waiting for an hour since he doesn't have a key. I am guessing the DT employee with key is holed up in PSU library.

How do I go about getting my no show fee? 20 energy drinks will suffice as payment.

Lucky for our customers, I have back up energy drinks and we will be open at 10am as scheduled.
You should leave a tip, he did you a favor. Stop drinking that sh!t.

I'll be able to use it as a garrote when I'm done. I prefer to be up close and look 'em in the eyes… see what's going on in there as the lights dim.

o_O

OK, not really. ;):D
Bennett Knife.jpg

Let off some steam, Bennett

The concept of self importance of some people is astounding.

I won't make an appointment at a barber shop; I'm strictly a walk-in customer at such low tech enterprises. Even crappy barbershops such as I've gone to started this appointment nonsense. It's interesting that as a walk-in, if I'm denied, they somehow find a way to squeeze me in just the same. Since Covid, I'm not much of a customer for hair cuts anyway, as Mrs. Merkt taught herself how to cut mine and has mostly been doing it ever since. I think I've paid barbers thrice since Covid.

The low end service industries have reared up on their hind legs some since Covid. Excessive tipping expectations and all that. I don't play along.

We see about a 20-30% no-show rates for the classes my wife and I teach. All students pay in full when they register and we make it very clear that no-shows will not be refunded. Our students are generally fairly affluent, but we still get a few complaints every month. We'll work with people who give us some notice, but no-shows are SOL. Anyone who can't take a few seconds to let us know they won't make it are exactly the type of people I don't want to deal with.
Perfectly fine for them to flake if they've prepaid. They paid for the right to flake. But absolutely no refunds.

It's just my impression and reflection from my life's experience, I think in the past, people in general were more apt to keep their word on things like appointments. Now, breaking their word (even for family events) seems to carry no sense of shame.

But owner XXXXX had to go digital to stop no-show customers from trimming his profits.
By the way, it isn't my obligation as a customer to guarantee a shop owner maximization of his time utilization. Barbers sitting around doing nothing part of the time in my experience has been pretty normal. Who can know if they are going to get a full load of customers at any one time? I agree that an appointment system might have some benefit to the customer by decreasing wait time. Because another way would be to just have customers sit and wait their turn (old school method) if there were more than one customer to be served at a time. Which is my personal preference. I don't like being tied to an appointment; my getting a haircut is usually a target of opportunity for when/where I'm apt to be at any given time.

However, having a barbering appointment doesn't guarantee you're not going to have to wait. Because some customers demand more attention than others. Times can run over. I've noted a barber or two who took extra care on certain customers, pimping for a higher tip.

One problem for barbers is that there are often surges in customers and also slack times. I've just come back another day when there was a wait. I try to get there early in the morning, which seems to be pretty slack.

On another part of the subject, it is really disgusting when a service provider makes an appointment and either shows up very late or misses it entirely. Cell phones are so widespread today that there is no excuse for failing to call and explain the schedule change.

Medical providers are really bad about missing appointment times, but companies that have a "local monopoly" like most cable companies are the worst. Any supposedly "publicly regulated" company has no accountability.

Well my Doctors (be they the MD, OD, Dentist, etc....) have/has been doing that for awhile now.

On the other hand.....
It's funny, but I never got anything......for waiting in their office for over 1/2 an hour for them to finally see me.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......my barber is about 1/2 an hour away from where I live. So, I only call (the barber) for an appointment.....after.....I've already gotten into the car. She usually has space for me. Yes, she prefers an appointment. Though I'll claim "memory loss" if I have to make an appointment days in advance. I think it works out, FOR THE BOTH OF US.

Needs to work both ways if I as a customer cancel a doctor's appointment less than 24 hours I get billed. I'f a doctor cancels less than 24 hours there is no penalty. What is good for one should be good for the other.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top