JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am going to get a chance to go plink this weekend so with a few spare hours this after noon I thought I would put together some sort of target stand. I really did not design or plan this, Just started welding bits together. Its two parts, the vertical piece just lifts out of two sockets on the base. The frame for the ply is made so the mounting angles slide in and out so you could put any chunk of wood in there. Its about 5 feet tall and weighs a bit but because its two parts pretty manageable. I left a few spots open so I could add another something...

Anyway it got me to thinking I aught to build something a little more thought out and professional, have the targets cut out of AR500. What would you do different? What do you like to shoot at?

photo.JPG

That's pretty nice for just tossing it together bro;)

I like to swing targets so a drop down with some fishing line is nice.

Maybe an area to set up spent shot shells or potatoes are superb targets and bio friendly.

That's pretty nice for just tossing it together bro;)

Thanks...:) My throwing it together has some advantages over most folks. I have an abrasive tubing notcher to cope the pipe, A 6' x 12' 2" thick fab table to work on, a real welder and a steel inventory to pillage.

And there is the bit where I do this sort of thing for a living (not make target stands but fabricate little individual bits into larger and more complex bits )

I prefer to do blacksmith work but the majority of what comes through the shop is fabrication and welding. I do manufacture a line of tools for blacksmiths. All that machinery in the background is forge gear. The big gray and red thing is a Nazel 4B electr- pneumatic forging hammer that was built in 1919. It doesn't look all that big in the picture but the bottom of the crane is at 15 feet. It weighs 18,000 lbs and is sitting on a 40,000 lb foundation. We run it hard most every day and its still making money at almost a hundred years old.

I saw some sort of awesome toy in the background;) That's crazy to be using something that old in production today:)

I'm always envious of you metal workers:D:p

Let's see a pic of it after you shoot it all up:cool:

That's very sharp, Monster! I used to enjoy fabing targets and gongs when I worked in a fab shop too! I was a machinist for 25 yrs with access to tons of scrap.

That looks like a great setup!
I have an osb stand that I use. I just spray paint a bunch of paper plates different colors. I shoot colors at random using controlled pairs.

I shoot at an 8" AR500 3/8" plate. I hang it from a square tube steel frame with 1/2" quick links. Works fairly well. But for precision shooting I just use a plain old box with a shoot-n-see target. I tried a shoot-n-see on my plate but even with 22 LR the round disintegrates into so many pieces that the target looks like its been hit with birdshot immediately.

Nice work!

Shooting at non-biodegradable targets is a big issue in our forests. I'm happy to see many of us are switching to re-usable targets.

Nice work!

Shooting at non-biodegradable targets is a big issue in our forests. I'm happy to see many of us are switching to re-usable targets.

Me too. Biodegradable and for crying out loud pick up your brass, steel and plastic cases/shells!

Man I miss having access to a mig welder and an endless supply of scrap metal! Lately it's been cardboard boxes for me. Cheap/free, lightweight, easy to break down, clean-up and pack out.
Picking up brass on a mini-14 is a real challenge though.

Man I miss having access to a mig welder and an endless supply of scrap metal! Lately it's been cardboard boxes for me. Cheap/free, lightweight, easy to break down, clean-up and pack out.
Picking up brass on a mini-14 is a real challenge though.
I make my kids go pick up the brass while I break down the targets and pack up the SUV. Each one gets a Folgers can to hold the brass. The kid that collects the most brass gets to decide which fast food restaurant they all go to for behaving.

Recently picked up the spent shells from my new pump shotgun I was testing out. They are so easy to pick up, no excuse there! And they are the worst IMO, they really stand out in the landscape.
Picked up a bunch more from the other lazy sad sacks that left their mess behind. Took some of their garbage/ targets (tin cans) as well. I'm no saint but I do something to improve the shooting area if I can.

And they are the worst IMO, they really stand out in the landscape.
Said it many times - Impose a nickle deposit on SG shells - just like cans and bottles. If people can't learn to clean up after themselves then make it expensive to litter. And to eliminate the potential, obvious argument, it would STOP with shotgun shells. While we still need to be responsible and pick up our brass I can accept a certain amount of missed pieces on the ground as opposed to brightly colored, plastic shells. Like cans and bottles SG shells do not blend in and are easily noticed. Brass turns black and settles into the ground fairly quickly.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top