JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Hoping you might be able to point me to more information or techniques that have worked for you if you've had a similar issue.

Growing up I always shot with my left eye closed. Over the last year I've been trying to shoot with both eyes open and I'm having trouble with the perspective shifting on me.

I'm very near sighted, which I think is playing a part in this. Using the usual hand test I seem to be right eye dominate. However with both eyes open it seems to switch constantly - if I focus I can maintain the sight picture with my right eye by ignoring what the left sees (negating the advantage of shooting with both open). If I don't focus I end up looking at the left side of the gun and losing my aim point entirely. Almost as often I'll see both images either alternating or sort of overlaying on each other.

Anyone run into this? Googling shows some similar stuff but all the suggestions basically boil down to obscuring the left eye's vision to force the other eye to retain focus, which feels like I should just stick to closing it while I pull the trigger and opening when moving etc.

Thanks in advance!

I'm cross dominant and just accept it as a fact of my life and don't bother using my non dominant eye. I still shoot both eyes open

Lots of us have this issue. I'm left-handed and right eye dominant. For pistols it doesn't seem to matter too much as I can just tilt my head and site with my right eye rifles is a whole Nother thing and when I initially bring the rifle up I'm looking at the side of the rifle with my right eye but can force my left eye to focus. The only way I've found to get around it is to half close my right eye so I can still see with it but your brain is using your left eye as the dominant one. Or start training with your other hand until you're used to it…. Giggity.

Lots of us have this issue. I'm left-handed and right eye dominant. For pistols it doesn't seem to matter too much as I can just tilt my head and site with my right eye rifles is a whole Nother thing and when I initially bring the rifle up I'm looking at the side of the rifle with my right eye but can force my left eye to focus. The only way I've found to get around it is to half close my right eye so I can still see with it but your brain is using your left eye as the dominant one. Or start training with your other hand until you're used to it…. Giggity.
Do you walk around or run with your head tilted? Than don't do with a gun. Remain in a natural position (as it affects proper balance and peripheral vision) and bring the gun to the eye not the end/head to the gun.

As to the OP... use a RDS instead irons and be target focused. I always shoot with both eyes open, it doesn't matter whether I'm shooting a pistol left or right handed or a long gun from either shoulder.

Hey all,

Hoping you might be able to point me to more information or techniques that have worked for you if you've had a similar issue.

Growing up I always shot with my left eye closed. Over the last year I've been trying to shoot with both eyes open and I'm having trouble with the perspective shifting on me.

I'm very near sighted, which I think is playing a part in this. Using the usual hand test I seem to be right eye dominate. However with both eyes open it seems to switch constantly - if I focus I can maintain the sight picture with my right eye by ignoring what the left sees (negating the advantage of shooting with both open). If I don't focus I end up looking at the left side of the gun and losing my aim point entirely. Almost as often I'll see both images either alternating or sort of overlaying on each other.

Anyone run into this? Googling shows some similar stuff but all the suggestions basically boil down to obscuring the left eye's vision to force the other eye to retain focus, which feels like I should just stick to closing it while I pull the trigger and opening when moving etc.

Thanks in advance!
Maybe just do like @Twenty15 said and get an eye exam, sounds like an astigmatism (see disclaimer below). That's what I have but I just close one eye and call it good. I'm near sighted in one and far in the other as well, I do have glasses but still haven't used them for shooting.

Normal disclaimer: I didnt stay at a holiday inn last night, my wife just works there.

Do you walk around or run with your head tilted? Than don't do with a gun. Remain in a natural position (as it affects proper balance and peripheral vision) and bring the gun to the eye not the end/head to the
That's great advice if you're right handed and right eye dominant but doesn't really work when you're cross dominant especially with a rifle. Even though I'm left-handed it's amazing how much faster I can get on target with my weak side because it's my dominant eye and I don't have to mentally force it.

That's great advice if you're right handed and right eye dominant but doesn't really work when you're cross dominant especially with a rifle. Even though I'm left-handed it's amazing how much faster I can get on target with my weak side because it's my dominant eye and I don't have to mentally force it.
Sure it does, I do it often. RDS are target focused and help train the brain. I've taken classes and then repeat the class using the opposite hand. Rifles are just more challenging than pistols in this regard.

Sure it does, I do it often. RDS are target focused and help train the brain. I've taken classes and then repeat the class using the opposite hand. Rifles are just more challenging than pistols in this regard.
Then I guess what works for you was going to work for everybody else cause we're all the same. Some people can't even use an RDS I bought and sold a DeltaPoint pro in two days because the entire screen is a starburst so what works for you may not work for them.

Last Edited:
The solution really depends on the game you are playing. Bullseye, small-bore or high power an opaque blinder will be used on the non-dominate eye to obscure it's vision and still allow light in. You do not want the non dominant eye to be dark, which causes dilation of the pupils in both eyes.

For action games, people have tried similar approaches. Small piece of tape on safety glasses works well if strategically placed to block the sights but still allow enough unblocked vision to move. On rifles, a blinder can be made that attaches to the sights or scope. Some stratigically place the scope cap so when open it blocks the non dominate eye.

Definitely worth putting in the time to train the brain. Just started working on this same problem after years of just closing the left eye. Boy have I been leaving some accuracy and performance on the table.

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
If you can get up here some time, we'll have you figured out in less than an hour...it's not that hard. No charge.

Then I guess what works for you was going to work for everybody else cause we're all the same. Some people can't even use an RDS I bought and sold a DeltaPoint pro in two days because the entire screen is a starburst so what works for you may not work for them.
It has been my experience that people give up way too soon on RDS and AIWB. Not all RDS are the same, even within the same product line. I have an RMR that has major starburst to my eyes, but I take a picture of it and the picture shows a perfect circle. I have another RMR that is perfect. One way to get around the starburst thing is to co-witness the RDS with your iron sights, looking thru the rear aperture clears them up. Also prism sights (and LPVOs) typically work the best for an astigmatism (often the cause of the starburst effect).

Also prism sights (and LPVOs) typically work the best for an astigmatism (often the cause of the starburst effect).
This is 100% the case for me though the starbursting is usually workable for most of the red dots and my intended use. The only red dots for me that are actual circles without starbursting are the RMR 6.5 MOA red dot adjustable LED and the Aimpoint Acro.

Left eye dominant, physically ambidextrous. Same deal. I shoot left handed with rifles. shooting with both eyes open has never worked for me. I also cannot independently close my left eye. I can only wink on one side.

This is 100% the case for me though the starbursting is usually workable for most of the red dots and my intended use. The only red dots for me that are actual circles without starbursting are the RMR 6.5 MOA red dot adjustable LED and the Aimpoint Acro.
That is interesting to me, I've always thought a larger dot would make things worse and have always stuck with 3.25 and 2 MOA dots. I might have to give the 6.5 another chance.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top