JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Left eye dominant, physically ambidextrous. Same deal. I shoot left handed with rifles. shooting with both eyes open has never worked for me. I also cannot independently close my left eye. I can only wink on one side.
Aside from the "shooting with both eyes open has never worked for me" that describes me. I grew shooting a rifle left handed and pistol right handed.

This is 100% the case for me though the starbursting is usually workable for most of the red dots and my intended use. The only red dots for me that are actual circles without starbursting are the RMR 6.5 MOA red dot adjustable LED and the Aimpoint Acro.
I think my stigmatism or whatever is going on with my eyes is bad RMRs don't work the hollow sun my buddy has doesn't work the Delta point pro I bought doesn't work even my eotech's are starting to get pretty weird.

What are you shooting?

I'm right handed/left eye dominant. All of my long guns are left handed but with a RDS I can shoulder it right handed and see the dot. This doesn't work for magnified optics, but it might be of benefit for you if you don't need magnification.

This doesn't work for magnified optics, but it might be of benefit for you if you don't need magnification.
What I've found is it's really dependent on the optic. I can do fine with my Kahles K16i, which has a very wide FOV and forgiving eyebox, couple with the excellent Euro glass I can get up to its 6x, but a Nightforce NX8 1-8 forget about it.

As my eyes get older they get tired on occasion and my eye glasses don't seem to cut it.
What's it called when neither eye wants to be dominant? :)

On those days I park the progressives and get out the computer glasses which have a wide "middle" focus region. Seems to help.
I'm also trying to have both eyes open as much as possible.

Reflex sights with selectable reticles with practice can be easy to view with either eye and both eyes open.

For my eyes, tubular red dots are a little harder to use with both eyes compared to reflex but easier than an optical sight where I usually use just one eye.

This was interesting to read, I've always alternated between both eyes when shooting. I'm also a left handed shooter predominantly but have no problem switching stances with minimal effect on accuracy. Always get a good reaction when I set up to shoot backwards. Haha.

Thanks for all the responses, definitely some new stuff to consider.

@Cerberus Group id love to get up there for some training at some point. Do you guys do any classes Monday/Tuesday? I unfortunately work overnight on the back end of the week and weekends at the moment. I've tried focusing on the target or the front post, hasn't made much of a difference that I've noticed but could absolutely be a technique issue.

I have one RDS, a Venom Vortex that came on the FNX 45T. I haven't really used it but it definitely shows a starburst to my eye and a circle to my camera so an astigmatism is very likely. I'll try using it to practice and see if it gets easier. Otherwise I've just been using irons on whatever I shoot, pistol, rifle or shotgun.

@Cerberus Group id love to get up there for some training at some point. Do you guys do any classes Monday/Tuesday? I unfortunately work overnight on the back end of the week and weekends at the moment. I've tried focusing on the target or the front post, hasn't made much of a difference that I've noticed but could absolutely be a technique issue.

I have one RDS, a Venom Vortex that came on the FNX 45T. I haven't really used it but it definitely shows a starburst to my eye and a circle to my camera so an astigmatism is very likely. I'll try using it to practice and see if it gets easier. Otherwise I've just been using irons on whatever I shoot, pistol, rifle or shotgun.
Give Holosun, EoTech, and AimPoint optics a try. They have performed best with my astigmatism

Last Edited:

I do classes any day of the week. Most are scheduled during weekends, as that's when most people have the time off to attend.

I hit 60 in 6 months...my vision is 20/200 corrected with glasses with progressive bifocals. Before the age thing comes up...I can still pound out a 9 minute mile...even with nods.

So the first thing I would suggest is a visit with the eye doc to get an updated evaluation, unless you've been to one within the last 6-8 months.

Next...try out multiple Dot type optics to see which look clearer than others. The problem I see is people going cheap, especially with vision deficiencies. The same with scopes is the same with dot optics...the price increase reflects the price of the glass...and with cheaper made dot optics, the glass itself can present added vision problems. With better quality glass, I find less splat/star looking dots. It may still be there, but it's a lot less for me. This is not an absolute...there are exceptions.

With a dot optic, they are not dominate eye specific. You can cover the objective end of the scope, which blocks the eye from looking through it...the other takes over and still gets the hits. It's a brain thing.
Like when using night vision...they are focus specific for distance. But if you adjust one eye for farther and the other focus for closer, the brain in most cases will take over and you'll get an overall clear focus close to far without having to adjust for it.

Anyway...what you describe is a common problem I've seen for many shooters, and in most cases within an hour I can have you shooting accurately.

Since you started this thread, it has me thinking of offering a class for vision challenged people. There is a wide variety of things to explore and try to get things worked out. Everyone is usually a bit different, as with every shooter...can't cookie cutter train the same way, but there's enough techniques I've used that I've been able to help everyone in some way get going in the right direction.

Last Edited:
The other thing about choosing an optic...let your eyes decide, not the price.

I understand people want the best for the best price, and some can't afford some levels of quality...but sometimes those with vision problems may need to shell out a few extra pesos to keep the eyes happy.

When looking for an optic, whether dot, variable etc., thoroughly look over optic first, then the price.

I'm also cross dominant. I have to close my right (non-dominant) eye to shoot a pistol. Even with a red dot. I tried all the tricks but none of them worked. I tried shooting a rifle left handed and it was a disaster. So I shoot right handed but close my left eye. May not be the best option for others but it works for me.

Do you walk around or run with your head tilted? Than don't do with a gun. Remain in a natural position (as it affects proper balance and peripheral vision) and bring the gun to the eye not the end/head to the gun.

As to the OP... use a RDS instead irons and be target focused. I always shoot with both eyes open, it doesn't matter whether I'm shooting a pistol left or right handed or a long gun from either shoulder.
Actually I noticed a year ago that when I drive I definitely turn my head to the right slightly so my left eye is lined up straight ahead. I wasn't aware I was doing it until someone pointed it out. I don't know why I do it but it definitely makes driving more comfortable.

When I was younger (20's into early 30's) my dominant eye was not as, dominant (I'm cross dominate, left eye, right-handed). It would go back and forth (also more common with ladies, but I'm a guy). Now I'm clearly cross dominant. I slightly have to close my right eye but once I begin shooting it will usually open more. With dots, both eyes open easily. Range trick, my "shooting glasses" have two different lenses, left focuses at the front sight distance, right at far distances. Works great. Many out there have contacts that do this not even for shooting. This works great for rifle and shotgun shooting (right-handed) but terrible for dot shooting, regular glasses are fine (I'm in the 20/40-60 range last checked). In a defensive situation my Rx glasses come off (unless I have a dot) because it is better to shoot with nothing than a corrected left eye. Things you learn.

For rifles, nearly all of my have optics so a corrected lens works fine, just adjust the diopter as needed (just like a camera). With shotguns you are looking at the target, not the bead, so same. I don't like ghost rings on shotguns, personal preference and a dot would be the same. (For trap shooting I have a frosted spot on my left lens so I cannot see the bead but can still see the bird rise from the house.)

I have an astigmatism which generally causes dot flare. As others have noted, some optics are better, some worse. My best answer has been Holosun with the circle, not dot. Plenty accurate and basically no flare. I'm also playing with an RMR that is run off of only fiber optic and tritium. Dot is not as bright but it is a different type of light source so basically no flare. My eyes (like many males) favor green as well. This seems to help.

For pistols it doesn't seem to matter too much as I can just tilt my head and site with my right eye

Do you walk around or run with your head tilted? Than don't do with a gun. Remain in a natural position (as it affects proper balance and peripheral vision) and bring the gun to the eye not the end/head to the gun.
We each find what works best for us, with target shooting and plinking you can get away with many methods that are not ideal in a defensive shooting world, if that is what you are training for. Modern research supports that tilting you head is not good and messes with many things like @titsonritz noted. This is often a challenge with even non-cross dominate shooters and shotguns. They like tilt their heads waaaay over, no bueno.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top