JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I built these awhile back, an 8' 2x4 and a couple of 8' 1x2 furring strips with a 22" 2x2 for the stand base are all it takes. With 12 screws for the top, 16 screws for the base, and some spar urethane sealant, a couple feet of 3/8" rope and you're G2G with one.

Total materials approx. $7.50 each. Just made this one for a friend...

We use IPSC or B-29 targets usually. The frame is 6' tall so we can engage a realistic height for defense drills.

targetstand-1.jpg

Base detail, side rails are 2' and width of interior base rails are 19"

targetstand-2.jpg

targetstand-3.jpg

It seems there are very few that use reusable or biodegradable targets as I end up with 10 times the ammo I shot every time I pick up after shooting. I really do not get what is so hard about bring a bag for your crap.

Last time I shot outside of a range that charges a Forrest ranger told me they may have to stop letting people shoot since nobody is cleaning up. Pretty messed up that idiots ruin good spots for the rest of us.

I prefer charcoal for .22 practice. Gives a nice poof of dust when you hit and does not hurt the environment up there. Otherwise I just print targets for free I find on google. Tons of sites with cool targets you can print out free.

Anything that moves! Nah, just kidding.
Years ago we used a couple of pieces of rebar and hung a sheet of plywood between them. I got tired of dealing with rocky ground and came up with a very simple, one target holder. Years ago I scanned a target, so now I just print several before I go out.
I use a small piece of plywood or chip board with a 4x4 "kickstand". I can set it anywhere without trouble and just staple targets to it. After a while it gets "shot out" and I replace the board.
My favorite plinking target is tin cans. I save all of them that we use. I not only use them for 22s and handguns, but a soup can at 100 or more yards is great practice with my hunting rifle.

Yeah, I'm a cheap SOB.:p

You can make something like this if you have the materials and welding experience: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/597445/nevco-idpa-ipsc-standard-portable-target-stand
Don't really need the thumb screw and you can make them as sturdy as you like. Can do the same thing with wood or PVC. Can make them adjustable if you like: http://www.opticsplanet.com/g-p-s-w...plusbox-beta&gclid=CLzr07PuwsACFZKBfgodQC4AIA
I go to the gun club (ARPC) and they have stands available, so only need to provide sticks and targets.

Last Edited:
Unfortunatly no legislation can prevent drunks and slobs. As I see it our only recourse is to continue cleaning up after the slovenly thugs.

BTW, to answer the OP's question. I shoot at .22 only resetting spinners, they are Birchwood-Casey brand. They are pretty nice, fold up for travel, sturdy and inexpensive. I also have a variety of home made gongs made from Scandia, a very hard steel and a target frame.
Don't use any but the spinners since I joined ARPC!

Last Edited:
For those who get tired of replacing target backer boards. ARPC uses chicken wire between the uprights and you hang the targets with regular office spring clips. Seems to work well.

My favorite targets are a bit time consuming to make but are awesome in the woods. I take milk jugs after we use them and wash them out really well then fill them with water and put a loop of rope in the opening on the top, then throw them in the deep freeze. after a couple hours i go back out and squirt some food coloring in and swirl the rope around so the color goes down into the slush. then leave them to freeze up the rest of the way. when we are going out shooting i grab a cooler and fill it up with gallon jugs and once up at the mountian i cut the plastic off and you have a chunk of ice that has some color in it to see easier with a built on loop of rope.

hit it with anything big and it explodes. and when your done all you have to pick up down range is a chunk of rope. the ice melts and you dont have anything to worry about. we have gotten pretty good with cutting off the jugs and they can be shot too. but the ice is the fun stuff.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top