JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been watching this thread without commenting for a while, finally thought I'd weigh in. As I'm a fan of pistol caliber carbines, I'd be very tempted to go that direction. Either some kind of AR or variant or a lever gun. I like the magazine capability of the AR and variants, but the lever gun is all self-contained and easy to run, no mags to worry about.

Caliber seems to be the big issue. The OP wanted .30 cal or better, hit accurately at 100 yards and kill at 200 yards. I was doing a little research online and I was having trouble finding any pistol caliber, even up to .44 mag, that can do that. Looking at ballistics tables for .357 mag and .44 mag, you're pretty good to 100 yards but it falls off quickly after that, depending on bullet, load, etc. With that in mind, seems a rifle round is the only type of round that is going to work, at least to meet the 200 yard kill requirement.

If the 200 yard part were off the table, I'd be looking heavily at a Rossi lever in .357 or .44 mag. I also wouldn't turn my nose up at the Hi Point Carbine in 9mm, .40 or .45. I've owned 2 Hi Point carbines and they have been accurate and reliable. They may not be pretty and I really wish they'd go to a double-stack magazine, but for the price, how can you beat it?

If I had to go rifle round, I'd probably prefer something like an AK, maybe SKS.

SO far things I like the thought of in order of best to less

M1 Carbine folding stock (would have to be a Universal to keep cost down) I already have a really nice one so mags and reloading are covered 200 yd kill very iffy. Best mag capacity at 15 std.
20 ga pump 18" 7rd mag (already have one so least cost just for the mag and synthetic stock set) granted limited range
Rem 760 pump in 308 (5 or 10 rd mags available) 18" barrel (has scope or Iron advantage) 300+ yard kill range
Winchester Model 1894 or 94 30-30 could be a beater post 64 cut to 18" barrel mag 5rd tube mag This would be the smallest package being so thin

The pistol cal levers would also be equal to the 870 in kill range equal to the 30 M1 and superior to the 30-30 and 870 in mag capacity (though the 870 does have the advantage of more actual lead down range in either buck shot or slug)

If I have a way to carry a full length rifle in a Willys Jeep hidden out of sight this wouldn't even be an issue but it is.

Mark - you already have the best truck gun available - your Buffalo Bill mod 94 - unless you feel it's too 'nice' for a truck gun (which I would unless you find a way to protect it) - otherwise try to find a 'beater' Mod 94 or 336 Marlin you don't have to worry about so much.

This:

34M4T3n.png

I've spent a lot of time on this question myself. My 'serious' truck gun meets everything you've talked about and more, and I did it for right about your $400 tag. But... would I sell it for that?

Hells no! At the same time, if you're willing to do a little horse trading and tinkering, you can get there.

Mine is a Rossi/Braztech R92 in .357. with 16" barrel. I picked it up for $225 with some water damage to the stock and some surface rust on the barrel. I converted it to a full-thread takedown, Ceramicoated it in black ($22 for the spray), and Dremeled/epoxied-filled it into a Ramline $85 stock (yes, it's black, but I could have cleaned up the wood instead). I spent $30 on ballistic nylon and stitched an 18" carry case that holds the rifle and 50 rounds of ammo without jingling too much which has shoulder straps so I can wear it like a backpack without drawing a lot of attention.

It shoots .357mag or .38sp, holds 12+1 in the magazine, and can put almost 800ft/lbs of energy on the target at 200 yards. My 'ready to go' version has 20 rounds of .38sp +p round nose soft point for small/medium game out to 75 yards, ten rounds of .357 Hornady Critical Defense for two-legged varmints, and 20 rounds of Buffalo Bore 170gr Hard Cast which I wouldn't hesitate to take a deer with at 200 yards if I had a good rest.

My previous Truck-Gun was a very nice looking/functioning but thoroughly bubba'ed for a collector M91/30 with the barrel shortened to 16.5" in an inexpensive ATI stock. I had less than $100 into that one. And if you want to get really wild, my 'motorcycle carry' rifle, is an Enfield No.4 MkII converted to 7.62x54R with a side-folding stock and 16" barrel. I have a flush-base magazine for 4+1, or a 'standard' mill-spec magazine holds 10.

That said (the rest is pure opinion); yes, the SKS is a good gun, but heavy to trek through the woods with, and off-puting to many if you decide to thumb it part of the way home. I've forgotten who posted it, but I want to second experience with the Remington 740 and 742 not having been reliable guns for me (which doesn't mean I don't think someone else couldn't have gotten a good one). I also have had poor reliability issues with Universal Carbines (especaily the ones that use the big counterweight--they really don't hold up to hot ammo), and 'real' M1 Carbines have just gotten too expensive for me to leave in the truck. I don't have a clue of their ballistics at range, but I think the HiPoint carbine could be a really good solution. Maybe it is time to pull the plastic off one and laminate up a nice Monte Carlo stock? I don't have one, or I think it would be fun to try...

ymmv

Rossi 45 colt lever action stainless steel. Hard hitting as you want it to be and its not going to rust ( for the most part ).

Only problem with that selection is that for it to be effective it needs rounds in the tube which is a no no if you get pulled over. Something magazine based then. They practically give AR's away these days. My truck gun is a 8.5" SBR AR in 300 BO.

if not for the 200 yard thing; you have option of the Chiappa 9mm M1 Carbine clone.....

Otherwise......

I'd go SKS myself, BUT they aren't that short.... you COULD however... bubba them, then put AK underfolder stock and grip on the stock, (or use a Tapco folder stock, but its BLACK...:eek: )

an AR kills small things and humans depending on shot placement out to 300 meters, or 300-350 yards, so there's no real reason its gotta be .30 cal or better, but thats what you're limiting to... I built an AR with ALL New Parts for just about $408 WITH BG check. That makes it $398 without the background checks. If the Russian/CHinese import bans are ever lifted for the AK/SKS series, then the prices on those may go down a bit, but unfortunately the prices for the SKS have been trending up and down and staying higher than before... whats the maximum OAL you are looking for? 29"? 36" ?

There are a few .30-30 Marlins, saw a Model 94 for $300 at a gun show, but their mag capacity isn't that great I believe..... I think that's pretty much your range; Marlins, Mossbergs, Winchester or their clones in .30-30....
would you be against the idea of a Remington 7615 pump action rifle custom barreled in 300 BLK? uses AR mags and likely uses standard .223 bolt, just a rebarrel to .300 BLK (more money this way though) I see some people have done such a thing with their Rem 7615 pumps... and since the pump doesnt require buffer springs or such, it is possible to get it to be really compact by use of AR micro-stock extension tube and collapsible stocks onto the tactical shoulder stock grip unit.... again, lots more money, and at this point it looks "evil" :rolleyes:

Rossi 45 colt lever action stainless steel. Hard hitting as you want it to be and its not going to rust ( for the most part ).

Only problem with that selection is that for it to be effective it needs rounds in the tube which is a no no if you get pulled over. Something magazine based then. They practically give AR's away these days. My truck gun is a 8.5" SBR AR in 300 BO.

Rounds in the tub a no No?
I never carried a gun, rifle or pistol or shot gun unloaded and with a full magazine no matter the type. Truck Jeep car what ever, hunting season or not
Have things come to the point we are suppose to carry an MT GUN?
Silver Hand

The other day I saw in Lebanon Wal-Mart, might've been during the last year or two, a Marlin 336-C in .30-30 for $389.95...this was NEW mind you. I really believe other than the magazine tube limitation of 5 or 6 rounds, depending on barrel length, it would serve your purposes pretty well.

THere just are not many rifles or carbines with a magazine capacity of greater than 6 rounds, in any format, for under $400; that does not look "evil black tactical".

Heck, even the Browning BAR 30-06 have a magazine capacity of 4-5 rounds; outside the custom jobbers....

Springfield M1As are JUST not available for your price point. Multiply that price by 3 to 4 and you'd be in the ballpark for a beater M1A; and double that price point at the minimum for a beater M1G; but they're pretty long already.

For what you pay for one of these they are a GREAT little PCC. They of course have some downsides but at the price point you get a lot for the money they cost.
Yup they are! my dad and I both each own a Hi Point carbine, his is the .45 model, mine's the 9mm model. With Redball Magazine company designing and producing the first of many .45ACP extended magazines for them, and High Tower Armory coming out with a bullpup stock kit for the carbines that's supposed to work on all 3 platforms with some variations; I can't wait for some of the new cool stuff coming!

The High Tower Armory bullpup kit reduces the OAL of the carbines by a whole lot, while maintaining minimum legal barrel lengths, 16.5" for the 995, and 17.5" for the 4095 and 4595 series. Supposedly they will also come out with an extended/increased capacity magazine for the carbines, but we are on wait and see.

Rounds in the tub a no No?
I never carried a gun, rifle or pistol or shot gun unloaded and with a full magazine no matter the type. Truck Jeep car what ever, hunting season or not
Have things come to the point we are suppose to carry an MT GUN?
Silver Hand

Not legal to carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle in Washington. It is in Oregon.

Get an AR pistol with a 10.5-11 inch barrel with a RDS and a KAK Shock wave or Sig brace. In 5.56 or .300 BLK.....brandish it at any lifted 4x4 who flashes a big revolver first...He'll wet hisself.:rolleyes: and if you have a CPL/CCW...you can carry it loaded. Just rack and roll if ya need to!

Brutus Out

Get an AR pistol with a 10.5-11 inch barrel with a RDS and a KAK Shock wave or Sig brace. In 5.56 or .300 BLK.....brandish it at any lifted 4x4 who flashes a big revolver first...He'll wet hisself.:rolleyes: and if you have a CPL/CCW...you can carry it loaded. Just rack and roll if ya need to!

Brutus Out
Same thing I was thinking but OP doesn't like the EBRs. Also it will probably exceed his $400 budget.

Brutus Out
This is one made by mossberg with a 6" barrel. Neat little gun. $314
<broken link removed>

I've truck carried a Remington M-740 in .30/06 several times on trips. It's never had a problem since I've owned it. It's short, fairly light (7.5lbs) and powerful! I don't keep the scope on mine since I've never hunted with it. I've mainly shot it 75-100m, that's the, truck gun, sweet spot to my mind. You can't go reaching out to defend yourself. :) I bought it for $125.00 in 1991!
Internet images.

IMG_0757.JPG IMG_0756.JPG

I've truck carried a Remington M-740 in .30/06 several times on trips. It's never had a problem since I've owned it. It's short, fairly light (7.5lbs) and powerful! I don't keep the scope on mine since I've never hunted with it. I've mainly shot it 75-100m, that's the, truck gun, sweet spot to my mind. You can't go reaching out to defend yourself. :) I bought it for $125.00 in 1991!
Internet images.

View attachment 343111 View attachment 343112

My closest friend had one in a .308 very fast truck gun in it's day.
Not that we were road hunters but rural land owners.

You bet, we did do our share of Hunting in our life time.
Wile with him I always had a Reacher = .300 Win. mag. and he the fast gun.

He just passed and in his 90s.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany