JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to figure out what I want.
So thinking truck gun with these requirements:

16"-18" barrel MAX
Repeater could be Lever, Pump, or Semi
Mag fed would be a plus
Must hold a min of 7 rds
Must be able to hit a volley ball sized target at 100 yards and kill at 200 yards
A narrow or thin rifle a plus
Less then $400 used
.30cal or better
Scope mount a plus
Peep sights preferred for Iron

what ya think?

I like the Remington 742 in 30.06. Lightweight, short, cheap, and 10rnd mags are available, used one as a backup/loner for deer/elk. The model 4,740/a,742, 7400 or any of the semi auto Remington's would be ok/similar and come around cheap.

A used, lever-action, in .30/30 WCF might hit all points. Ditto an SKS in 7.62mm Soviet.

The price level is going to preclude a lot of options though. Go a tad more and more options become available.

Mark, I think a lot of options would be available if you didn't care about capacity.

I'll share my thoughts on a truck gun with guns I own and see if it sparks any ideas. I will try to only list guns I have in the sub 500 dollar range.

Yugo SKS.
Ruger American ranch in 300 blackout.
Ruger American in 22 mag.
10/22.
Howa 1500 in 6.5x55
24/47 Yugo Mauser.

I think out of those cheaper guns, I would make my truck gun the ranch in 300 blk. Super light, accuracy is good enough, doesn't have any recoil, short, and it's a Ruger American...So if I destroy it to save my life I won't be out much. With supersonic loads you can have enough faith in it. I use Nikon spot on with their scopes and having a range finder In your truck is always helpful, too

For what you are asking the closest I can come up with is a .30-30 lever action rifle.
Marlin or Winchester put on some Lyman 66 peep sights ( or similar ) And there you go.

A few things though ...
Most lever action .30-30 carbines have barrels of 20 inches.
Many also only hold six in the tube ... for seven shots you will need one in the chamber.
Not the best idea for a gun in a truck or it might not be legal...
Prices on those have gone up. Many good ones start around $400 ,used ( at least where I live ) .
A good set of sights will set you back a $100 or more.

So not the "idea" answer .... and I wish you luck in your search.
Andy

My truck gun is a 300 BO w/ 8.5 in barrel. She'll ring the bell out to 100 yards with 4-5 inch groupings. Since it's a pistol, it can stay loaded too.

Ruger American is only 4 rounds and I haven't seen magpul making mags for it yet.
Looks like a lever gun with a full length tube ,the sks/ak variants,(if aks are 400 bucks still???) or the Remington semi autos. You can get 10 rounders for those if you need it.
I would never suggest the keltec,well any keltec but don't they have some 30 cal rifle? Shouldn't be more that a couple hun on that:confused:
This could be fun to see what folks dig up:D

I like the Remington 742 in 30.06. Lightweight, short, cheap, and 10rnd mags are available, used one as a backup/loner for deer/elk. The model 4,740/a,742, 7400 or any of the semi auto Remington's would be ok/similar and come around cheap.
This would fit the requirement perfectly.
There's a carbine version and a rifle version.
There were a lot made in 30-06.

I just bought a pristine 7400 30-06 rifle for $385 shipped.

The Rem 740 and 7400 are a little problematic. I would seriously consider a 760 or 7600 as I am very in tune with the Pump style action and it uses the same magazine as the 740/7400. Also I can easily source one in 30-06 so no additional reloading costs.

The lever action Winchester or Rossi etc. in 30-30 would suit me well though one of the Trappers in .357Mag would be even better. Cost would be a factor here. no additional reloading costs

The ideal truck gun for what I want would be a Universal M1 Carbine (not to hard to find around $400 and if its in good condition would fit the other requirements) I would then put it in a reproduction M1A1 paratroop stock so it folds. Again no additional reloading costs

I would shy away from a Bolt action mostly due to the small magazine and they can be bulky.

The vehicle this will be going into is a Willys Jeep and you can't imagine how small one is until you sit in one. I'm hoping to find something that can fit into a box under the back seat so unless its a Bull pup design its going to have to be a 16" barrel or break down/fold.

Thing is I am going to have to find what ever beat up enough to let my collector side even keep it in the Jeep. I have an Inland carbine and I wouldn't think of putting it in the jeep unless it was in a hardcase.

Oh well keep the suggestions coming the whole idea was to talk about this with you all.

Hmm...

Price point or capacity needs to give some. I wouldn't give on capacity, but would on price point.

AK folder or AK & put a side folding stock on it. Sturdy, capacity, known hardiness etc. can't stay loaded though.

AK pistol, but I'm not that familiar with them, could stay loaded though.

(--oops RE read your criteria, .30 or better, so disregard my AR pistol suggestion bellow)
AR pistol idea is a really good one. Do you allready happen to have an AR pistol lower? Or a lower not "registered" as a rifle, so you could use as a pistol lower?

--We have an Adams Arms 5.56 7.5" tactical Evo pistol complete upper I'd been thinking on selling for $475. Swapped it out for a 300AAC. ;)

So I'm thinking a pistol of some type might be the way to go. Lighter, much easier to conceal (and be legal), and ready while concealed. More difficult to reach out to 200 yards with any accuracy though.

The other thing to consider is what types of threats are you considering defending against, how would you store the weapon & ammo, and how quick for you to be able to gain access to it AND be at the ready.

Suppose if you have a decent side arm, with an mag on you & a few extra loaded magazines in your car, to give you that little extra time to get to the trunk gun...then any trunk gun. Then you can use whatever platform you are most familiar with as the trunk gun. Just take one from your safe & put it in there, it hasn't disappeared, you still have it & can take it to the range anytime you want.

So in that circumstance I return to an AK. Iron sights are "easy" to reach out to 200yards for near on anyone...even I can do it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews