JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just hand them my chl with dl when stopped. Last time the guy just asked where, and what it was. I told him "Under the seat and a Glock" and that was the end of that. I feel that informing right away demonstrated honesty and supports the "Good Guy Card". If he finds out and you haven't told them, they are likely to wonder why. Now if you have been stopped because you crossed the yellow line while swatting at a bee in the cab, which way is he more likely to believe you?

Ditto- They already know you are a CHL holder as soon as they run your plate # anyways.
:cool:

NO, not always, both our vehicles are registered to my wife and we each drive one.

The Ofc/Dep will have to run my ODL by number or me by name and date of birth to get a return to find out if I have a CHL....which then means he is back sitting in his vehicle (running it himself) or standing outside my window (dispatch running it) when he finds out....

I will be giving it to him with my other info

I think it is prudent to keep all surprises to a minimum when dealing with an on duty LEO. They have way too much to worry about without having to get surprised when they just happen to notice.

How do they happen to notice?

I try to follow the law, and the law does not say I have to tell anyone I'm armed. The last time I was in close proximity to a policeman was last weekend, and I didn't even think about the fact that I was armed until I read this thread just now. We didn't have a gunfight, I didn't threaten him, he didn't threaten me, there was no reason to bring it up.

How do they happen to notice?

I try to follow the law, and the law does not say I have to tell anyone I'm armed. The last time I was in close proximity to a policeman was last weekend, and I didn't even think about the fact that I was armed until I read this thread just now. We didn't have a gunfight, I didn't threaten him, he didn't threaten me, there was no reason to bring it up.

They will notice when they run your license. I don't think anyone is saying you have to tell every LEO you come across, but even if they run your plates during the initial part of a stop they don't know who you are until they run your DL. That's when it's going to come up.

The LEO, of whom I inquired, said he preferred it if he was told in advance out of courtesy.

With recent attacks on police and the fact that they may have a jaded view of society by virtue of the folks they are in contact with on a daily basis, I'm all about letting them know I'm a good guy. If it helps me get out of a ticket that's an added benefit.;)

NO, not always, both our vehicles are registered to my wife and we each drive one.

The Ofc/Dep will have to run my ODL by number or me by name and date of birth to get a return to find out if I have a CHL....which then means he is back sitting in his vehicle (running it himself) or standing outside my window (dispatch running it) when he finds out....

I will be giving it to him with my other info

+1 :s0155:
Anyone could be driving your car, wife, kids, friends etc........

with all the things these people have to warry of, I say do anything you can to put them at ease. It is their life that is on the line when they approach a vehicle, and I hope they approach every vehicle as if there might be a weapon inside, for their own safety. Letting them know that there is, that you are carrying legally, and allowing them to decide how they want to handle the situation based on there comfort level is absolutely the right thing to do.

These guys are out risking life and limb every day. I think a little respect and courtesy goes a long way. If you do not disclose, it may put the officer on edge once he finds out. I have not been pulled over since I recieved my CHL. I do have my proof of insurance and registration handy so that I have that and my ODL and CHL ready when the officer gets to my window. When and if I am asked where my gun is I will have to ask "which one?".:)

They will notice when they run your license. I don't think anyone is saying you have to tell every LEO you come across, but even if they run your plates during the initial part of a stop they don't know who you are until they run your DL. That's when it's going to come up.

The LEO, of whom I inquired, said he preferred it if he was told in advance out of courtesy.

With recent attacks on police and the fact that they may have a jaded view of society by virtue of the folks they are in contact with on a daily basis, I'm all about letting them know I'm a good guy. If it helps me get out of a ticket that's an added benefit.

I resent the implication that I "might be" a criminal, that's why I went through all the hoops!

How about this, the officer "might be" a bad cop? Hmm? (There are plenty of them, and I have no way of knowing if they are decent people, the uniform doesn't prove that at all)

What I'm saying is that since I went through the effort to prove already that I'm worthy to carry a gun (Which by the way, police don't have to prove to me) they should give me the courtesy of assuming all the hoops actually meant something, that I'm armed, and legally permitted to be armed, and that it is a non issue.

It bothers me when police talk about "For your safety and mine", huh? Why is it assumed that he is able to safely carry a firearm but that I'm not? That's all bent IMO. In another forum a police officer informed the CHL owner that carrying a 1911 in condition 1 is unsafe. Obviously there we have a case where the CHL holder knows more about safe gun handling than the policeman, yet the policeman is in a position where he can intimidate someone who knows more about guns than he does. Whacked!

If I was LEO, I wouldn't assume all CHL's are "good guys." However, the opposite may also be true - but that may be beside the point of the OP. I'm in the camp of not volunteering unsolicited information. If my having a valid CHL truly shows up when they run my plates, they'll know and can decide whether they need to ask. If not, then I expect to be approached like anyone else they may have pulled over for a moving violation. Whether I have a CHL or not shouldn't make any difference to them in terms of pulling me over for a vehicle or traffic issue. If it does, then I can't say that I personally agree with that sort of us/them perspective. If there is a warrant or if they suspect I just committed a crime other than a traffic or vehicle violation, then again, is it going to make a difference in their approach if I have a CHL? I would suspect that they would anticipate that I may be armed until proven otherwise, CHL or not. Just my $.02. I see nothing advantageous or disdvantageous about a CHL in terms of how I interact with LEO. I have the CHL because for now, it is the only way I can legally exercise my 2A right; if that isn't an oxymoron, then I don't know what is. I know, digression.

I haven't been pulled over with it, but I have had an officer approach (I was in a public parking lot at night near an old mill trying out night shots with my camera) and I simply stated I had a CPL and was carrying. He asked where it was, I told him, and that was the end of it. Also before he left he thanked me for letting him know.

In this scenario "For your safety and mine" would probably be followed by "Please keep your hands on the wheel," or "Could you hand over the weapon?", or "Please leave it there and make no movements toward it?"

It does not imply that you are not qualified to safely carry a weapon. "Your safety," is secured by the fact that he will not be in a position to misconstrew any of your actions or movements as a threat, resulting in him being forced (in his mind) to respond with, possibly, lethal force.

Their "safety" is secured by the fact that it will be more difficult for you (good guy or not) to attack him or her from this position.

So it helps keep you safe from injury and the officer safe from any injury/lawsuits/lost pension/guilt that might arise from a shooting that was the result of you making a movement that was misinterpretted. The chances of this happening go way down if the officer doesn't have to worry about if there is a gun in the car, if there is where is it, why didn't this person tell me there was a gun in the car, etc. All of which may cross the officers mind once he finds out that you have a CCW, and rightly so IMO. Anyone on here who says that the officer shouldn't worry about it because that person passed a backround check however many years ago hasn't been paying attention to what has been going on. So what if I passed a backround check. That doesn't mean I am not pissed about my wife leaving me yesterday, and that I am umemployed, and possibly feeling suicidal today. Responsible CCW holders have to understand that whatever the reason we come in contact with a LEO, whether it be jaywalking, fender bender, or traffic stop, there are two guns involved and that needs to be taken seriously to prevent unintended consiquences.

It's gun safety as far as I am concerned.

Last Edited:
I resent the implication that I "might be" a criminal, that's why I went through all the hoops!

How about this, the officer "might be" a bad cop? Hmm? (There are plenty of them, and I have no way of knowing if they are decent people, the uniform doesn't prove that at all)

What I'm saying is that since I went through the effort to prove already that I'm worthy to carry a gun (Which by the way, police don't have to prove to me) they should give me the courtesy of assuming all the hoops actually meant something, that I'm armed, and legally permitted to be armed, and that it is a non issue.

It bothers me when police talk about "For your safety and mine", huh? Why is it assumed that he is able to safely carry a firearm but that I'm not? That's all bent IMO. In another forum a police officer informed the CHL owner that carrying a 1911 in condition 1 is unsafe. Obviously there we have a case where the CHL holder knows more about safe gun handling than the policeman, yet the policeman is in a position where he can intimidate someone who knows more about guns than he does. Whacked!

I don't think there is any implication you might be a criminal, I think it's a matter of respect to LEO's. The hoops you went through are far far lesser than those the LEO went through to wear that uniform. Yes there are bad cops but the numbers are few. They do a job most honestly don't want to do so respect, understanding and disclosure of a legal firearm is the least we can do when pulled over. You might know more about firearms than the LEO that pulls you over but at that point in time he/she is doing there job and the more at ease you put them the better the result for you will be.

I've worked with law enforcement closely in the past.

There's only one that I would trust with a firearm.

Interesting point. Many people assume that LEO's are firearms experts although few are. To most of them it's just a tool they qualify with, albeit an extremely important and deadly one. Frankly, I wouldn't trust many of them to safely clear my weapon. Not a diss on LEO's in general, just a realization that many of them are not firearms experts. Watch a few episodes of COPS where the officer is trying to clear a weapon that was confiscated if you don't believe me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top