JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I made a citizen's arrest of a punk thief a few nights ago. (It was in a dark parking lot, and I would not have done it had I not been carrying, as I had no idea what he might have had on him. BUT, I never had the need to pull, or even show, my weapon.) He resisted, but I subdued him and dragged him into a business, told the clerk to call 911, checked him for weapons, and held him until the cops arrived. At that point, I raised my hands up to shoulder level, and informed them that I was carrying, and had my permit on me. One asked where it was (it was in my belly band holster), and after I told him, he asked me to keep my hands up, removed it, then took it outside and locked it in his patrol car. After all was over, he told me he didn't feel comfortable handing me a loaded gun, so we walked over to my vehicle and he unloaded my gun (a .38 revolver), placed it on the seat, and the bullets on the floor. Then he shut the door and they left.

I found the whole thing a bit puzzling, though, as I told them, "Whatever you're comfortable with is fine with me."

Anyone else had this kind of reaction from the cops?

Max

Geeez they will give us Permits to carry, but when we tell them we are carrying they treat us like we are irresponsible idiots. I know they are trying to cover there A** but Still..

I made a citizen's arrest of a punk thief a few nights ago. (It was in a dark parking lot, and I would not have done it had I not been carrying, as I had no idea what he might have had on him. BUT, I never had the need to pull, or even show, my weapon.) He resisted, but I subdued him and dragged him into a business, told the clerk to call 911, checked him for weapons, and held him until the cops arrived. At that point, I raised my hands up to shoulder level, and informed them that I was carrying, and had my permit on me. One asked where it was (it was in my belly band holster), and after I told him, he asked me to keep my hands up, removed it, then took it outside and locked it in his patrol car. After all was over, he told me he didn't feel comfortable handing me a loaded gun, so we walked over to my vehicle and he unloaded my gun (a .38 revolver), placed it on the seat, and the bullets on the floor. Then he shut the door and they left.

I found the whole thing a bit puzzling, though, as I told them, "Whatever you're comfortable with is fine with me."

Anyone else had this kind of reaction from the cops?

Max

The only time I had a cop want my weapon was when it was in my fanny pack along with my wallet. (happened two times, once was Coast Guard) I don't think they wanted me to put my hand where they knew my gun was. Every other time they were super cool about me having a gun.
I almost got hit on my motorcycle a few years back by a drunk driver. I followed the guy to where I could call the cops. When the officer arrived on the scene I approached him, told him I was the one that called, informed him that I had a CHL and was carrying. He asked me to wait over by my bike. Later all he wanted from my was my driver's license and my account of what I'd seen. Never asked where it was or to see my CHL.

I seam to get pulled over once a year or so and also do the following. Hands palm up on the steering wheel with the window down and inform the officer that I have a CHL and that I have a gun on me. They usually ask were it is and were my drivers license is. I have had very good dealing with the officers even when I have got a ticket.

Hand them my CHL as I hand them the license. Keep my hands in plain view and tell them where the weapon is. For some reason every time I have been pulled over since getting a CHL, my experience with officers has been 10 times better than before. They generally thank me for letting them know before they ran my ID and found out anyway.

Did anyone read the article in the Oregonian last month about the guy who returned to his car late at night in a parking structure in downtown PDX to find his two friends being questioned by Portland Police, he approached, pizza in hand and when asked for ID handed his concealed permit to them with his license, the response? "He's got a gun!!!", a trip to the concrete, loss of his hand gun and permit "till they could verify it was legit"(several weeks). He got it back with the help of a lawyer. He was not compensated for the loss of the pizza.
Don't offer untill asked.

It comes up when they run your plate, but I give them the courtesy and let them know if I am. For some reason, I havent been issued a ticket since I've done that (been pulled over for speeding 3 times in the last few years).

Yeah, I think it'll replace the pizza, the cut seatbelt, but I'm not sure I'd let somebody punch me in the groin repeatedly over the course of 40 mins for that kind of money. I'd fire those cops as soon as they were found in the wrong. Represent who you serve well. Can you say liability?

The city pays, claims no responsibility, and the officers are cleared on internal investigation

This could all been avoided if the young man would have just flashed his concealed carry badge. :)

Well, here in Oregon there is no requirement to tell them. I will not do what the law doesn't say I have to. If they get offended and try to intimidate me then they are in the wrong, period.

Just remember, if an officer ASKS if you are carrying, then you have to tell them. I was stopped by a sheriff once, and the first thing he asked me was if I had a carry permit followed by if I was carrying.

Only been pulled over once since receiving my CPL... I wasn't carrying and made no mention of my permit, but when going through my wallet for my insurance card, The trooper noticed the card, and asked if I had guns in the vehicle. I said no, he went back to his car, ran my info and told me to slow down. I was going 10 over and was missing my front licence plate(project car that I happened to be driving that day:)).

cut me a little break... I would say. CPL muyst be a "good guy" card:D

In my opinion, at the very first indication of abuse of power, a officer should have his ticket yanked and never work in that field again. There are many fine police officers out there, but I have also personally known a good few who got beat up a bit much in their youth and were drawn to the authority that the badge gave them.

I do not assume that simply because someone is wearing a badge, that they are a great person and are there to help. That would be naive. I do not notify a officer that I am carrying a gun if I am pulled over. Since doing so, I have had them ask me after initial contact if I have my chl and if I have a gun on me. I tell them that i do, and where the gun is. I have never had a problem while doing that. They have been polite and have never asked to see my weapon. When I treat it as a non-issue, they seem to do the same.

I stopped notifying them upon contact a long time ago after having some issues with rookie officers that became way too jittery for my taste.

I am not a criminal. I will not be assumed to be a criminal. I am carrying my gun legally for my protection, just as the officer is. I figure if I can trust him to carry one, he can trust me also.

Yes, police officers in certain areas do have very difficult, and at times dangerous jobs. I would also say that there are plenty of instances of innocent people having dangerous run ins with police officers.

By they way, I have never been arrested or even had a ticket.

Of course you may get the occasional LEO that is just a jerk and hates anyone but him carrying a gun that will make a deal out of it. But 9 times out of 10 they just tell you to keep your hands in clear view (I hold mine just out the window) and they will thank you for being up front with them.
What you don't want to happen is them somehow find out your carrying and you didn't tell them. Then your going to catch a lot of crap.
It's always best to be honest, open, and up front. Just like any other run in with the LEOs, they usually reflect the attitude given. Only that reflection is ten times as bad.

This could all been avoided if the young man would have just flashed his concealed carry badge.

In the story I read he did! :confused:

What you don't want to happen is them somehow find out your carrying and you didn't tell them. Then your going to catch a lot of crap.

Sorry, that doesn't come clean any way I think it through. So what your saying is that if I do something that the law doesn't require I will get a free pass? If while obeying the law I "catch a lot of crap"? How do jerks like that look at themselves in the mirror? It sounds like the police need some additional training if they bully and intimidate law abiding citizens over some problem they have with the second amendment.

Sorry, that doesn't come clean any way I think it through. So what your saying is that if I do something that the law doesn't require I will get a free pass? If while obeying the law I "catch a lot of crap"? How do jerks like that look at themselves in the mirror? It sounds like the police need some additional training if they bully and intimidate law abiding citizens over some problem they have with the second amendment.

Cops are people, people have different attitudes. It's just the luck of the draw. It sounds like you just like being a problem to authority. I'm not saying cops are always right, but if I was in there shoes I would want to know. Not all people who carry guns with CCW are good people. Everyone is a law abiding citizen until they break the law.

I have been told two different things on when the LEO learns from his computer that you have a CHL. Some have said that they know when they run your plates and others have said that they will not know until they actually run your individual license. My wife and son's cars are registered in my name. If there is an Oregon LEO here on the forum that could clairify this, I would greatly apprecitate it.

You may want to get your "hearing" checked. I'm a problem for enemies of the Constitution, and there are more and more of us every day.

I read your posts in this thread to Zoroaster. This was his reaction. :D

Zorroface.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews