JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, I'd kinda hoped to get a little range time today, but the rain looks pretty well set to stay.
Here as well! Poured all night!

I too was hoping to get out for a little woods walk today and while partly sunny now more rain is predicted.

Working on 50 9mm but these are all going to be with hand weighed powder charges (5.5 grains of Unique) and 125 gr Xtreme plated bullets.

Just an experiment to see how much accuracy I can eek out of my Ruger PCC!

Getting close to done, but time for a break and a store run. Box is what was in the dryer, that's all I have left to do for today. Pretty shiny, eh? Bucket is processed, needs a final wash, and then it goes in the ready brass bucket to be primed. I'm estimating about 3500 rounds, based on 2 k from Brass King, a dryer load, and what was in the one-shot box. The big box next to the bucket is 9mm that I'm kind of ignoring for now, since I don't have a 9mm revolver, yet... and this season is "revolver only" for me.

20201220_125512.jpg 20201220_125458.jpg

I rolled up 180 44 Magnums using 180grain Hornady XTPs and 4227. Just about wiped out my pound of 4227. Definitely wiped out my XTP supply. I won't be burning them all up at once for sure so I have probably 3 or 4 range trips with this amount.

I loaded up 100 rounds in moon clips for tomorrow's trip to the range to test the trigger / spring job I just did on a new to me S&W 625. I also loaded three new Wilson Combat .45 mags to test fire at the same time. All my other .45 mags are at least 30 year-old GI mags. While they are going strong, I thought it would be a good idea to get something a little newer and a little more advanced.

1476747361_20201220_160336_2541718_resized.jpg

1475823840_20201220_160607_2456998_resized.jpg

The primers look high due to the lighting, but I assure you they are 0.004in below flush.

Last Edited:
@Lesliet

I used the Brownell's Reduced Pro-Spring kit made by Wolff as well as polished the internals where there is contact between moving parts. I usually get a shim kit from triggershims.com when working on revolvers but haven't on this one. It feels great right now so I may not mess with shims. The reduced weight kit comes with a reduced power mainspring and 13, 14, and 15 pound rebound springs.

I test with CCI primers and then run Federal primers for my match loads. That way I don't have to worry about a light primer strike costing me points in a match. Given that I really don't shoot all that well I need all the help I can get!

I'm suspecting I'll have some misfires tomorrow. After doing the above, the DA pull went from an estimated 14 pounds to a flat 6 pounds! My trigger pull gauge tops out at 10 pounds, so I hung small weight plates off of some fishing line to approximate the trigger weight. Imprecise but close enough for my purposes.

While the DA press is so sweet at six pounds I doubt there will be enough oomph to reliably set off the primers. I started with the lightest trigger return spring so I have two more firmer weights in the kit in case I need to move up. If there is fairly good results with the CCI's I may load up some Federal loads and see how it goes, but typically I want 100% with the harder primer.

I'd try that straight out, but I have no .45 reloads with other than CCI primers at the moment.

I'll keep you posted if you are interested.

I used the Brownell's Reduced Pro-Spring kit made by Wolff as well as polished the internals where there is contact between moving parts. I usually get a shim kit from triggershims.com when working on revolvers but haven't on this one. It feels great right now so I may not mess with shims. The reduced weight kit comes with a reduced power mainspring and 13, 14, and 15 pound rebound springs.
I'll keep you posted if you are interested.
Very much interested, yes! I have a 12 lb rebound in my 625, and a full power spring, since the non-magnum Federals are platinum grade unobtanium for now. Strain screw is backed out 1/4 turn and loctited for a 9 lb and change very smooth DA trigger. With this setup, it will cap off any primer that says " pistol" in the name. Did the trigger shims, and hammer shims, polished up the internals a wee bit, and the smoothness is a very noticeable difference.

In other news, 3500 rounds of processed .45 ACP brass is around 4 gallons. :) Now I just have to run all that through the washer....starting to think I need a converted cement mixer like Jerry.

Did another 100 rounds of 9mm using RMR 124gr MPR hollow points, 5.5gr of Ramshot Silhouette loaded to 1.100 will just barely plunk in my Glock Gen 5 G19. Should be good for 1100fps.

IMG_20201224_005437662.jpg

I hate reloading for 9mm. Using a single-stage press, it takes me 2.5 hours using fresh cases to make 100 rounds. I miss the days of going to Walmart and picking up 100 rounds of Federal Brass ammo for $25.

Cranking out 100 rounds of 10mm takes the same amount of time but is infinitely more satisfying.

I hate reloading for 9mm. Using a single-stage press, it takes me 2.5 hours using fresh cases to make 100 rounds.
Yikes! In that time, I can generally load about 1000 rounds of 9mm on the LnL progressive. Including coffee breaks. Still sounds like a good load for accuracy you have there, and much better than nought.

I don't shoot really high volumes of anything really so every time I considered a progressive setup I couldn't really justify it. However I have settled on a turret press for my slightly higher volume ammo. I think I can approach 400 rds an hour with 9mm. I have 3 spare turret heads with two chamberings per head all setup ready to go so change over is quick jesus bolt removal and tightening affair. May be an option to consider for others with in between consumption like me.

Did another 100 rounds of 9mm using RMR 124gr MPR hollow points, 5.5gr of Ramshot Silhouette loaded to 1.100 will just barely plunk in my Glock Gen 5 G19. Should be good for 1100fps.

View attachment 796907

I hate reloading for 9mm. Using a single-stage press, it takes me 2.5 hours using fresh cases to make 100 rounds. I miss the days of going to Walmart and picking up 100 rounds of Federal Brass ammo for $25.

Cranking out 100 rounds of 10mm takes the same amount of time but is infinitely more satisfying.

I usually have my cases pre-primed. A day, or week ahead. A hundred at a time for handgun. Even if I don't, that only takes about 15 min with a hand primer. I get my thrower dialed in. Five minutes maybe? I'll put 16 primed cases (two rows) at a time in the tray. (I tap every case, open end down, because there always seem to be carbon broke loose from priming inside them) I then throw powder in each of the 16 cases. I check the weight every 12-15 cases probably, depending on how smooth and even the throwing goes.

I usually have my cases pre-primed. A day, or week ahead. A hundred at a time for handgun. Even if I don't, that only takes about 15 min with a hand primer. I get my thrower dialed in. Five minutes maybe? I'll put 16 primed cases (two rows) at a time in the tray. (I tap every case, open end down, because there always seem to be carbon broke loose from priming inside them) I then throw powder in each of the 16 cases. I check the weight every 12-15 cases probably, depending on how smooth and even the throwing goes.
I'm pretty sure I'm the slowest at reloading, lol. My hand primer broke last year, so I use the Lee Ram prime on the press. I use both a digital powder scale and a mechanical scale. Luckily my powder thrower is a mint RCBS unit from the 70's that my dad had hardly used and gifted to me, that is pretty consistent.

OAL gives me fits for some reason and I have to check every few rounds and adjust to keep things in check. Been doing that since I started a few years ago on every cartridge size and style. No idea why it's like that.

I'm pretty sure I'm the slowest at reloading, lol. My hand primer broke last year, so I use the Lee Ram prime on the press. I use both a digital powder scale and a mechanical scale. Luckily my powder thrower is a mint RCBS unit from the 70's that my dad had hardly used and gifted to me, that is pretty consistent.

OAL gives me fits for some reason and I have to check every few rounds and adjust to keep things in check. Been doing that since I started a few years ago on every cartridge size and style. No idea why it's like that.

Are you measuring actual OAL or to the ogive? I was the same when I first started but have since acquired the tools to measure to the ogive. Much more consistent measuring method. I will still measure OAL if the round is going in a magazine and needs to be under mag length but will just get a sample to see what the longest one is and adjust from there.

Not what I reloaded but what I found out. I bought Federal 205 primers this morning at Sportsman's because they were the only small rifles on the shelves. I've read all kinds of negative stuff about these primers and slam fire. So I primed a few cases and did my best to get them to slam fire in an AR. None did. These were cheap compared to what the gougers are selling primers for. I bought plenary so I'll be able to ride out the storm.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top