JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So do you guys swage and call it good?

From what I can read (and there are a million opinions) you can either

Swage (which basically remolds the brass so that the crimp is effectively "removed"?)

or "de-crip"/"uniform" which removes some material with a carbide cutter.

Did I get that right?

I'm amazed that I've reloaded this much without having to deal with it, but it probably makes sense since I've been reloading my uncles "old brass" first, which was all reloaded once before and now I'm switching to the brass that I have from firing factory rounds.

Thanks for the guidance

When I started loading.223/5.56 I was told by my mentors to separate the head stamps for this very reason. If sorting all cases, it will save time, energy and headaches while in the case prepping mode.
I sort a lot of brass...:D

1446E615-AFAA-40CA-82DE-164C24531C77.jpeg

Attention to detail can be high

I'm short a few projectiles, but otherwise intend to get through 4000 rounds before the end of winter.

I'm leaning on the swage path, seems like there's less to go wrong if I have a friend helping out too. I like the idea of the RCBS swage die, I'm wondering if the RCBS JR couldn't handle it. (ended up with one in a trade that I've held on to)

I like this!....

Swage = "Squishing" the primer opening to the correct size, but the "crimp" ring is not removed.
Cutting, various methods = Cutting the crimp out, or removing a portion of it.
You will see people debate on which one works best for them. I have tried the Dillon Swager and RCBS cutter in a prep center.
I find overall with the Dillon I had less errors and it went faster. The cutter looks cleaner but is slower and I found I removed too much material often.

I would say you choice probably comes down to how many you have to do, how efficiently you want to do them and what your level of attention to detail is.

;)

Attention to detail can be high

I'm short a few projectiles, but otherwise intend to get through 4000 rounds before the end of winter.

I'm leaning on the swage path, seems like there's less to go wrong if I have a friend helping out too. I like the idea of the RCBS swage die, I'm wondering if the RCBS JR couldn't handle it. (ended up with one in a trade that I've held on to)

I too am in the swage camp. Here are some of the cases I've acquired from my pit, they were cut too deep so when I find these they go into the recycle bucket. I'm not chancing anything in the PP area.
Zoom in.
4D1F35E4-0F47-4D06-969C-7851833A5B48.jpeg

C4AE9626-B61A-49FD-80F1-C9EE274EF87C.jpeg

I've used the Dillon 600 super swager before but opted for the RCBS swager instead. Sort those headstamps and save yourself time on the case prepping. Good luck.;)

;)

I too am in the swage camp. Here are some of the cases I've acquired from my pit, they were cut too deep so when I find these they go into the recycle bucket. I'm not chancing anything in the PP area.
Zoom in.
View attachment 789015

View attachment 789014

I've used the Dillon 600 super swager before but opted for the RCBS swager instead. Sort those headstamps and save yourself time on the case prepping. Good luck.;)

RCBS single stage die type set, or does RCBS have a stand-alone unit similar to the super swager?

Thanks.

I took delivery on what was suppose to be 3000 lead bullets this week. I said "suppose to be 3000" because after picking through the broken and badly repackaged parcel that was placed into a postal tray. Cough, cough......thank you USPS.....Cough, cough. AND, oh wow.....floor sweepings were included. Including several pieces from a broken glass bottle remnant. So then.....the count comes up to only about 2400.

Whatever.....the USPS has NOT been able to deliver an unbroken bullet package to my door in a long while. I guess they just have too many people who don't give a $#@* anymore.

Aloha, Mark

I took delivery on what was suppose to be 3000 lead bullets this week. I said "suppose to be 3000" because after picking through the broken and badly repackaged parcel that was placed into a postal tray. Cough, cough......thank you USPS.....Cough,

I'm guessing that the bullets were sent USPS to take advantage of the Priority Mail Flat Rate box. Even if the shipper didn't buy any extra insurance, all Priority Mail gets $50 of basic coverage. Sounds like you have a postal insurance claim. You do it online. Take pictures, keep the packaging for reference. It's not difficult.

My latest "what did I load today." 100 rounds of .45 ACP using Hevi-Shot Bismuth bullets. 175 gr lead-free frangible bullets. 4.5 gr. Hodgdon Titegroup. 860 fps.

I'm guessing that the bullets were sent USPS to take advantage of the Priority Mail Flat Rate box. Even if the shipper didn't buy any extra insurance, all Priority Mail gets $50 of basic coverage. Sounds like you have a postal insurance claim. You do it online. Take pictures, keep the packaging for reference. It's not difficult.

Thank you for that. I had forgotten about the "insurance". Though.....I'm guessing that the "sender" has to make the claim as the sender has the postal receipt. AND, that is......IF he kept the receipt.

At any rate......
The sender did include a gift certificate for 1000 bullets (on my next order) as I had overpaid for this order. Yup. I still come out ahead. That being said....I will tell him about the broken package. But, I really don't expect anything from him. He has always treated me right.

Aloha, Mark

Thank you for that. I had forgotten about the "insurance". Though.....I'm guessing that the "sender" has to make the claim as the sender has the postal receipt. AND, that is......IF he kept the receipt.

Typically, the addressee (you) makes a postal insurance claim for damage (or partial loss). Because you have the goods and the package. Priority Mail always has a tracking number, that's the number you'd need for making a claim. The tracking number is right there with the bar code on the package. This is not a big dollar claim and in my experience, they are pretty routine. It would be a rare thing for the PO to want to examine the package and contents for such a low value claim.

What you really have there is a partial loss claim. You got most of the contents, but part of them went missing during handling. Maybe a few bullets were damaged but the bulk of your claim concerns loss. 600 bullets, if they were 9mm, that should be about $38 or $40 worth. Under the $50 minimum if the sender didn't buy full coverage. You'd have to find that out from him. But for sure, you'll get up to $50.

OK......I'll take the packaging down to the Post Office and see what they say about this.

Aloha, Mark

:s0140: Going into the POST OFFICE!? Now you gotta ask yourself. Is it worth a measly 600 bullets to stand in line behind 10-15 people while there are only two "Slugs" at the counter? And you know, YOU KNOW, that one will go on break after one or two of the 10 have been served.

I despise having to go into the post office! Love our carriers though!

So then.......
About 1000 hrs/12-11-2020 I stood in line to make a claim at the Post Office. I waited for a while (Christmas line) and I finally made it to the counter. Once there, I explained how I had received the broken package and showed the clerk the remnants of the package.

OK.....BUT......according to the supervisor/manager (I assume, as I was passed from the counter to a "supervisor" standing to the side).

Well, as it was explained to me......
The person/business who did the mailing has the receipt and that person/business needs to file an online claim.

I was responsible to keep all of the packaging etc.... and IF required......I should render assistance to the sender (taking pictures, etc....) so that the claim could be helped in processing it.

The Post Office supervisor saw the busted edges of the package/box and she said that the sender should have used more tape.

Really? So they want to blame the sender? Rrrrrright......who's fault was it that the box was dropped?

Oh.....but, you can't prove that it was the postal service (or it's employees} that dropped the box.

Rrrrright......I wasn't there to watch the USPS manhandle/drop my box. All I know is that it was given to the USPS to deliver from Maine to Washington State. The package was accepted......and it arrived damaged.

Anyway......
I contacted the sender/business and I expressed my willingness to help. BTW, I also told him that I didn't blame him for this mess. He said that he was not really interested in filing a claim as he had made claims in the past and was familiar with the USPS and their "speedy service, etc..." in handling claims.

OK. So, I wished him a Merry Christmas. As I said, he has always treated me fairly and he had given me a gift certificate on the previous over payment.

So then......
As for the USPS? Well....Santa will probably take care of the NAUGHTY ones.:s0123:

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Making some fodder for the Henry tomorrow.
.38 Especial y .357 Magnum

hope the 38's run subsonic andI only hear the hammer fall.

2DEFA7A4-EC4E-46A4-AA89-841A00AFD78E.jpeg

I 3d printed some ammo can bullet holders,
i designed them to fit the harbor freight ammo can,
holds 180 rounds per layer, fits 2 layers, 360 rounds total.

and i loaded 400 rounds of 300 BLK, and 560 rounds 223

ammo can full.jpg Ammo can liner top.jpg Ammo can liner bottom.jpg

Ammo can liner stacked.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR