JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always found ways to check my own work. when its time to charge cases, I line up 10 cases and 10 bullets in the block. I charge all 10 cases settle the powder and tip the whole block so that I can just see the powder, it is really evident when one case has only a tiny difference in powder.
Then I seat all 10 bullets and place the loaded rounds in an empty block. if I have a bullet or charged case left over I know somewhere I seated a bullet on an empty case. now at most I only have to break down at most 10 rounds to find that one ! when I'm sure everything is right I move the finished rounds to the range box or if they are hunting rounds I seal them.
The only time I varied from this it came back to bite me. I was making test rounds for a new gun and laid out 25 cases to make 5 runs of 5 cases each.
I dropped powder in the first 5 cases, seated the bullets, reset the powder measure, dropped 5 more charges, seated the bullets, and when I got to the end of the tray instead of 5 empty cases I had 7, two had powder charges. which meant somewhere in the 20 loaded cases there were two with no powder.
The whole time I was breaking down rounds I was thinking " never change the routine" and "when loading think about the loading not the test ". never put more cases in the block than I'm going to load in that group.
I went over 40 years of reloading before I got a squib. and I got two in one batch. the first bullet made it out of the barrel but just barely, and the second stuck mid barrel. both had powder but it fizzled instead of igniting. My best guess is I had 2 bad primers. DR
I get the method but the math doesn't seem to work. How do you layout 25 case/bullets and end up with 5 bullets and 7 cases? Also if you have the same number of cases and bullets your loading how do you end up with an extra one?

1. Develop a charging routine and do not vary from it, as the factories do not.
2. "When in doubt, dump it out" and re-charge.
3. Nothing beats visual inspection of the completed loading block.
4. An uncharged case is nearly as much danger as a slightly over-charged case, as it will stick a bullet in the bore. A hassle to remove and, If not detected, the next round fired will destroy the barrel and possibly your face. We are talking 63,000 PSI a few inches from your eyes.
5. Typically .30-06 is nearly filled with most powders so even if slightly over-charged, it is probably still within "proof load" pressures. Mileage varies with other cartridges.

I have always found ways to check my own work. when its time to charge cases, I line up 10 cases and 10 bullets in the block. I charge all 10 cases settle the powder and tip the whole block so that I can just see the powder, it is really evident when one case has only a tiny difference in powder.
Then I seat all 10 bullets and place the loaded rounds in an empty block. if I have a bullet or charged case left over I know somewhere I seated a bullet on an empty case. now at most I only have to break down at most 10 rounds to find that one ! when I'm sure everything is right I move the finished rounds to the range box or if they are hunting rounds I seal them.
The only time I varied from this it came back to bite me. I was making test rounds for a new gun and laid out 25 cases to make 5 runs of 5 cases each.
I dropped powder in the first 5 cases, seated the bullets, reset the powder measure, dropped 5 more charges, seated the bullets, and when I got to the end of the tray instead of 5 empty cases I had 7, two had powder charges. which meant somewhere in the 20 loaded cases there were two with no powder.
The whole time I was breaking down rounds I was thinking " never change the routine" and "when loading think about the loading not the test ". never put more cases in the block than I'm going to load in that group.
I went over 40 years of reloading before I got a squib. and I got two in one batch. the first bullet made it out of the barrel but just barely, and the second stuck mid barrel. both had powder but it fizzled instead of igniting. My best guess is I had 2 bad primers. DR

I've got old peanut jars from Sam's that I washed out, primed cases in there, put in block and charged n seated then to the back of the block.
Murphys law will get you no matter how hard you try to avoid it, im new and learning the process ... ty

Got a lee challenger kit last month and have been reading and watching other folks posts on fb and getting banned for posting my own lol. Thus why I came here. I'm borderline ocd and each step has been a journey so far but today I loaded my first 8 rds ( garage got way to cold, or I'd have done more lol) starting with 3006 , running 150 gr hdy interlocks with 48 gr of bl-c2 , ginex primers. Finally found other powders recently, aa4064, and believe it or not imr 4895. Will be cool finally shooting my own reloads.

question I have is how yall organize your loading blocks to keep from double charging cases? My thought on it is, after charging a case and moving the funnel to set a projectile in the last loaded case, just wondering how others organize things, Thanks.

View attachment 1834089 View attachment 1834090 View attachment 1834091 View attachment 1834092
As aasbra said above, charge cases and look to see with a flashlight.
I would add ensure you only have one container of powder on the bench at any one time, make sure your powder thrower is at least half full at all times while reloading, and check every 10th case or so that it is still throwing the same weight charge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top