JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shoulder bump take 2. second attempt. New at this part...
consistency yes, target no...
My fireformed dimension is 1.465" My shoulder bump target is 1.462" for a semi auto. I backed my die off .003" and thought I had it but it moved again, after a couple minor +/-.001" adjustments I decided I wanted all my cases to be consistent if they werent exactly 1.462" and just ran with it at 1.460"... so .005" shoulder bump. The important thing here is these are all consistent at 1.460". Ive never achieved that consistency before. I think the reason is Ive never annealed before but the last time I tested annealing a few by hand and suddenly I was consistent (once I left my die alone), this time same result, consistency. I think annealing is the key the brass at the shoulder is softer and forms easy. Also whats really helping me is I'm using a Forster accu-ring on the die, it has marks every .001". It was a little tricky setting up where I could loosen the lock screw and turn the die without totally loosening the die losing "zero", when I lock it again. I'm still working on that part and think once I figure that part out I can get exactly the .003" shoulder bump I want.

Cases on the left fired 3x, cases on the right fired 2x. Fed FC21 brass.

1651642810638.png

Annealing can absolutely make a difference. Not just on consistent shoulder bump, but neck tension as well.

This epiphany cost me a lot of $ on an AMP.

Annealing can absolutely make a difference. Not just on consistent shoulder bump, but neck tension as well.

This epiphany cost me a lot of $ on an AMP.
I dont think my project will reach a level for an AMP, for now im stuck learning it the hard way, by hand. Maybe in the future a flame annealer... The AMP is pretty spendy.
Ive been watching a few Cortina vids on his annealing. Good stuff there.

I dont think my project will reach a level for an AMP, for now im stuck learning it the hard way, by hand. Maybe in the future a flame annealer... The AMP is pretty spendy.
Ive been watching a few Cortina vids on his annealing. Good stuff there.
It was many years before I made the jump. In many instances you won't need it, but when you do, it becomes very apparent.

Hope to try out a small ladder of .223 in the next few days.

Norma brass
H335
CCI 400
Bobs bullets (55gr fmj)

image.jpg

I found a tote of brass at a garage sale on Friday, so spent Saturday morning sorting and de-priming. Then ran 44 Mag, 45 Colt and 45/70 loads thru the tumbler while making 125gr JHP 38 special ammo all day. Today I'll box up the 38's and switch over to 158gr Nosler JHP's in 357 Mag. I set aside the brass I wasn't going to use right away but should get to it soonish. Anyone need 45 Auto Rim Brass? I'll have a bunch of rifle brass as well. .223.5.56, 348, 30-06, 7 Mag are a few that stood out.

Last Edited:
I found a tote of brass at a garage sale on Friday, so spent Saturday morning sorting and de-priming. Then ran 44 Mag, 45 Colt and 45/70 loads thru the tumbler while making 125gr XTP 38 special ammo all day. Today I'll box up the 38's and switch over to 158gr Nosler JMP's in 357 Mag. I set aside the brass I wasn't going to use right away but should get to it soonish. Anyone need 45 Auto Rim Brass? I'll have a bunch of rifle brass as well. .223.5.56, 348, 30-06, 7 Mag are a few that stood out.
I recently sold some .45 auto rim
If I could remember to who it was I would connect you. Heck remember who? Anymore I should be happy to remember I did.
Post it up.

I recently sold some .45 auto rim
If I could remember to who it was I would connect you. Heck remember who? Anymore I should be happy to remember I did.
Post it up.
Really? Most days I can't remember what I had for breakfast…
Although I did find another box I didn't know I had must've acquired it years ago.
Anyways I looked into it and found these horribly made wad cutters. Good Gawd!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
How can I reclaim the cases and primers?

8C106DBA-CD03-46DC-B5E9-911301E56589.jpeg 1B6F7908-92D3-47A9-A910-D1A5158980F0.jpeg

How can I reclaim the cases and primers?
Okay Jim. Take a breath....In...Out. Easy. You-Can-Let-them-Go. You have plenty of primers, bullets and brass. It'll be okay. I promise. If it would help I'll send you some nice MG 125gr HPs and some brass. Can't help with primer through the mail though.
I DO, know where you're coming from though

:D

They are not my reloads so not taking the chance. I probably just drill the bullets and try an easy out to pull them, no noticeable crimp at all… o_O
Yeah I know it's not like I'm hurting for primers or brass but I just hate waste.
Do you not have a hammer style bullet puller?

They are not my reloads so not taking the chance. I probably just drill the bullets and try an easy out to pull them, no noticeable crimp at all… o_O
Yeah I know it's not like I'm hurting for primers or brass but I just hate waste.
I also find it hard to waste anything even when I am blessed with probably more than I need. I have always gotten a lot of satisfaction out of creating economical loads especially with today's prices.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top