JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I kinda liked the idea of swaging and not removing material when i got started. But yet "forging" the material out.
Theres many good systems. I suggest (unfortunately) watching youtube videos. The dillon and RCBS bench top mounted ones i think are best. I have the rcbs one. I wish the end of the little stem (inside) was cushioned with like a urethane bumper. Nothing is ever perfect though if you ask me.
I set mine up with a small bungie cord so its basically spring loaded open. And i also put a small under the little cam pin to keep it from falling out. Kinda annoying design. Lots of adjustments but once setup correctly it seems to work great so far.
I saw a video where a guy set up the Dillon swager where the shell flipped of the pin, hit a piece of cloth and fell in a container. Real slick like. I've got time so I'll probably get the RCBS press mounted swager.

I wanted to try Accurate #9 with this round of 300blk.
All the talk of removing primer crimps reminded me... I'd converted my remaining 223\556 to 300blk over the weekend.
The brass got the full prep routine - luckily only about 25% needed crimps removed. They all got trimmed though :)
175 out of 200 were able to be converted though - Great ratio & good final product.

1621907208204.png

I kinda liked the idea of swaging and not removing material when i got started. But yet "forging" the material out.
Theres many good systems. I suggest (unfortunately) watching youtube videos. The dillon and RCBS bench top mounted ones i think are best. I have the rcbs one. I wish the end of the little stem (inside) was cushioned with like a urethane bumper. Nothing is ever perfect though if you ask me.
I set mine up with a small bungie cord so its basically spring loaded open. And i also put a small under the little cam pin to keep it from falling out. Kinda annoying design. Lots of adjustments but once setup correctly it seems to work great so far.
I put a spring on mine to auto eject the processed casings but it was too strong. I had cases bouncing off the ceiling and landing all over the shop :s0112:. I took the spring off. You'll put your eye out kid.

Well that's good enough for me! You guys been doing the long gun a lot longer than I have. And this is my first experience with NATO/Military brass. That RCBS set-up seems reasonable, quicker than using a hand reamer and more precise than dinking with the chamfer tool. A good member has offered to loan me their set-up. I'll play with it and then see about getting the RCBS tool.
Now if you've dove off into deeeeeep with many thousands of 5.56 (and some 223 headstamps) it would be in your best interest to buy "the Blue one."
But if you don't shoot that often, only have under 1000 cases and keep reloading what do you do shoot, them there's not a real need to have a hot rod swager IMHO. ;)

I have roughly the same. Only i Don't have a fancy cabinet ;)
It sound like you spit in the eye of the 'rona gift horse.. Or something like that. This was our year to get all our "poop in a group". I think i got ALL my other calibers all 100% cleaned sized and sorted and ready to go. I've been putting off the 223/556 because its fairly daunting. But once you just say F it and dive in it starts going faster than you think.
I procrastinate too much. And im totally sick of it. Its time to get 'er done! Collecting components isn't near as fun as shooting them and making small groups.

But i have sold quite a bit of random brass i don't shoot. And made a decent bit of money at that. I highly recommend picking a solid quality variant and then selling the rest.
To be honest. I may end up selling some of this brass too. Not sure yet.
I am the unofficial caretaker of a couple of forest company pits, I have been managing them for about 7 years now. Making sure people pick up their trash, targets, shotgun hulls and commie cases (steel). I pick up brass to help fund my trips there almost daily.I throw em in the vibratory tumblers, sort headstamps, label each bag and sell what I'm not going to use.
I too have made a big chunk of change that has allowed me to dive into the red rabbit hole of reloading.

I am the unofficial caretaker of a couple of forest company pits, I have been managing them for about 7 years now. Making sure people pick up their trash, targets, shotgun hulls and commie cases (steel). I pick up brass to help fund my trips there almost daily.I throw em in the vibratory tumblers, sort headstamps, label each bag and sell what I'm not going to use.
I too have made a big chunk of change that has allowed me to dive into the red rabbit hole of reloading.
Do you use any tools for picking up brass?

Now if you've dove off into deeeeeep with many thousands of 5.56 (and some 223 headstamps) it would be in your best interest to buy "the Blue one."
But if you don't shoot that often, only have under 1000 cases and keep reloading what do you do shoot, them there's not a real need to have a hot rod swager IMHO. ;)
"I" don't shoot a lot of .223. That's what Wifey shoots most of. She likes to see how close she can get holes in the paper down range. I shoot slow too. I'm going to borrow the "Blue" one to play with and think I'll buy the RCBS press mounted swager.
Thanks for helping me spend a little more money on hobby this gentlemen! :cool:

I'm going to borrow the "Blue" one to play with and think I'll buy the RCBS press mounted swager.
Thanks for helping me spend a little more money on hobby this gentlemen! :cool:
While others laud Dillon's primer pocket swager I've used the RCBS press mounted system since year one. It works just fine for both large and small primer pockets, it's completely adjustable, and is fast enough. And it's a tool that's not used all the time so when not in use it goes into it's box and into the drawer of priming preparation tools.

I wish the end of the little stem (inside) was cushioned with like a urethane bumper. Nothing is ever perfect though if you ask me.
The deal there is that urethane is a plastic and regardless of the type it's not strong enough to resist deformation and disintegration in short order. They use a steel pin as there are probably several tons of force being applied with that little pin swaging the pockets. And too there is no damage to the web of the case. Putting any sort of plastic on that anvil (the rod) is a bad idea and would solve nothing.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top